Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1050 speed triple or 955i speed triple?

• 1050-Newer and fewer miles

Votes: 55 78.6%
  • 955i-save the cash and just ride.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Keep the SV and drop $$ in to suspension.

Votes: 9 12.9%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright boys and girls,
I am thinking VERY seriously about buying a speed triple. I think I have a buyer for the SV, the wife has given a thumbs up, everything is moving that way.

So the question is, do I go with a well maintained 2003 955i (30k miles all records and maintenance up to date) for pretty much an even swap OR do I drop another $2.5k and get a 2006 1050 (6k miles but lots of extras like exhaust, flyscreen etc.)? Just looking for opinions or tidbits of wisdom--MAN is it only Wednesday??? I think I already know what most of you will say but who doesn't love a poll?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I would say the '06, but that's mainly so I can ogle over it :)

Really, I would go with whichever of the Trips you like more and are more comfortable with. Were you able to do any test rides?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
30k seems awful high for an "older" Triumph. My buddy already has electrical gremlins with his '06 D675.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I test rode an 08 speed and I've never been on the 955. I wouldn't even need to try the old one. The new is awsome with amazing power and comfort. Sits high and weighs a little more but once moving u don't feel it. There is no sweet spot in power its just everywhere and the motor is super smooth. Sounds amazing and feels awesome. Just do it :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes.... I lust after a speed triple. One of my co-workers has a white '06 and I'm so jealous. I want one! Problem is that that I don't make the time to ride my SV, so I can't justify the ST.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go for the '06. Normally I'd say save for an '08+ because they get the longer subframe + pillion and the brembos.

The 2006 1050's have issues with the front brakes being mushy...there is a good will fix that should be free at Triumph dealers. They replace the caliper pistons with ones that are coated.

Oh, and color matters too. Everyone knows white S3's are the fastest:

·
Registered
784 Posts
1050, absolutely! I went with the 05 and haven't looked back, so I vote the 06. Without a doubt you'll love it. That sv was great, but I don't think you'll find anything to complain about on your new 06 triple that you WILL get :) (except for the cost of parts ;) )

·
Registered
102 Posts
Man I'm jealous. I saw a white 06 on craigslist that was modded beyond belief and was so tempted, just don't have the funds right now.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Done and done. Just put the deposit on the 2006. Pictures will be posted Saturday or Sunday. If I have a dealer run the VIN they should be able to verify the calipers have been fixed, yes? Woohoo. Speed trip here I come :) :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PS-Darkhorse: the white is beautiful- I mean REALLY Beautiful. But I love the black too. This sucker has the arrow low mount 3-1 exhaust, belly pan, windscreen, seat cowl..... it's a beautiful freakin thing. And my SV sold in like 3 days--that reminds me I need to post in the for sale section;)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Congrats man ... can't wait to see it after I get back. That's awesome that the SV sold that fast as well. Enjoy :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Nice man, be sure to post pictures! And yes, you can give the VIN to the dealer to check the calipers. Or you can do it yourself online, somewhere... Congrats again!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Congrats man! I too will be joining the Triumph family soon. I'll be picking up my 06' Sprint ST whenever the title comes in which should be any day now. Can't wait! Enjoy!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice choice....I've ridden both extensively and you can't really go wrong with either bike....although shorter riders will like the earlier version better as far as comfort is concerned.

wish I had the cash for your new ride.....the SV would be dumped at the dealership in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts