Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my muffler chop today. All you people doing it in 90 minutes can just kiss off...

I must be totally inept or something. 5 hours.

Didn't help that I had to cut the inards 3 times... And I went through 5 cutting wheels getting the first go-around on taking out the end (and insides).

But I got it done. It's not the prettiest thing (I didn't get all the exhaust sealant cleaned up before it set up), and it isn't much louder than stock, but the exhaust note is a LOT lower, and the reaction to revving is a lot more abrupt. Sounds good. Looks tons better than the huge cannon that it started out with.

And if I get tired of it, I'll go with a Supertrapp disk-only slip-on.

·
Registered
683 Posts
what did you use?

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
You'll find that there are a lot of things that people claim are "easy" and "take(s) no time at all".

I'm sure if you were very handy with a cutting wheel, knew what to expect when cutting, and had seen it done several other times, it would be "easy". However, many people seem to want to make themselves a moto-God, and claim that a project took a fraction of the time that it normall would.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, when I chopped my muffler it took me 3 hours, as I burnt up 2 cutting discs and 2 sawzall blades, than again when I cut the mud flap off removing the tail section took me just as long, it was a all day project to do both.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dremel with 1.5" diameter fiber-reinforced cutting wheels... Hacksaw (3 blades there).

I'm just glad it's done.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i did my chop with a hand saw :p

four blades and a nice work out later it was done. not pretty but it did its job ;D

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I had the same issue when i cut out my baffle.

its funny that you bring that up, cause it is always that way. even when give directions... ah its right up the street. more like 22 miles away!

post up a pick of the new shorty can.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
well there's your problem, the dremel is for crafts. An angle grinder would have turned it into a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
904 Posts
it honestly only took me 3h using an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and a hacksaw for the inner pipe.

Another hour or 2 to paint it, but most of that was letting it dry.

·
Registered
683 Posts
1/2 jobs are overrated anyway. How are you supposed to down a 6 pack in that amount of time?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
1/2 jobs are overrated anyway. How are you supposed to down a 6 pack in that amount of time?
if you can't down a 6 pack in a 1/2 hour, you really need to reconsider you drinkin while you work habits. it should be about 3 or for chugs per wrench turn. LOL

pull into the garage, thats a beer, up on the stand, thats a beer, set out the tools, thats a beer, think hard about what you are about to do, thats 2 beers. thats 5 beers in just a few minutes...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just went to ACE and said i want your strongest metal cutting hacksaw blade. A half hour later and a shirt that was soaked in sweat later I had it cut off. Just be sure to buy the best hacksaw blade. Im happy with how it turned out and even though the blade was expensive, it still has alot of life in it. I heard about the cutoff wheels and just didnt see how they would hold up to that hard of steel. nothing better then the feel of a hacksaw i think

1 - 20 of 27 Posts