Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noob question, no im still not afraid to ask them :)

i run 93 octane in my bike, i was told to do this when i first bought it so i've been doing it ever since. You can't change from 93 to 87 after all these years of running 93 can you? with gas costing an arm, a leg and my first born its getting a little rediculous, is it bad to mix up the gas? let me know before i fill up today :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Change, it won't hurt a thing. :)

I run whatever I feel like that day. All I have noticed is I seem to get a few more miles out of a tank of 93. Not enough to make up for the extra $.30 a gallon.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The manual says run 87. You are not going to gain anything from running 93.

Believe it or not, but lower octane gas burns better, is more efficant, and should produce better gas millage than higher octane gas.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
novakane-- The question is: what mods, specifically engine mods (jetting, ignition advance, compression) have you done? If the bike is stock, even with a moderate re-jet, you're probably best off with 87. Only when you get into altered compression or possibly even ignition advance do you need to worry about higher octane fuels. I would suggest talking to amateur racers and track day gurus about the fuels they use and why. My $.02...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the only performance mod is a yosh slip on, i was thinking about doing this tre mod also...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
rejetting or exaust mods do not require higher octane

if you do something to change ignition or cam timing, compression, higher octane may be necessary... if it doesn't ping, you don't need higher octane

·
Registered
109 Posts
I alternate between 87&89. The way gas prices are, 87 is just fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Without getting into a long discussion-stop wasting you money. You absolutely will do no harm and every 10th tank of gas will be free from now on. I promise if you use 87 instead of "Premium"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts