Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders. I have a share that no doubt many of you will appreciate and possibly some will relate with. I live in Denver and took a few days off to do a Albuquerque turn around. On the way back just outside Las Vegas New Mexico I experienced a load shift of my soft bags attached under the back seat. My bagged bike cover was sucked into the back wheel causing a complete lock up. I was in the right lane and the momentum carried me into the left lane and then back to the right lane again . I came up on the pegs and focused my site on the ground and what the bike was doing to make what corrections I could to keep it upright. When I was able to bring it to a stop I looked back south and could not see the beginning of my skid. So I walked it. I left a 1/2 mile trail of rubber on i25. Thankful for not panicking and riding out of the situation.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Lucky. Were you able to untangle everything on the side of the road?

I once got my jacket sleeve tangled in the chain/rear sprocket when I was pushing my bike around the driveway. That was a mess.

·
MOTORADOR
10,825 Posts
:eek::eek::eek:

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lucky. Were you able to untangle everything on the side of the road?

I once got my jacket sleeve tangled in the chain/rear sprocket when I was pushing my bike around the driveway. That was a mess.
Fortunately yes. I had to grab the bike by the bar behind the rear seat and pull on that at the same time I was pulling on the cover. At first the rear end wouldn't let go but finally released. The vinyl had been melted into this gooey mess. Definitely do not want a do over.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
Don't you know you are supposed to slow down before pulling a stunt like that?!

Seriously though, there are so many ways that could have gone bad. Glad you survived without major incident.

Thanks for the PSA.

... I experienced a load shift...
I bet you did. :D

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't you know you are supposed to slow down before pulling a stunt like that?!

Seriously though, there are so many ways that could have gone bad. Glad you survived without major incident.

Thanks for the PSA.
Trust me if I would have had any warning or indication of what was about to happen I would have backed the speed off. Instinct is cut throttle, Squeeze the clutch I was not about to get all over the front brakes so just needed to lose as much momentum as possible and pray. Thank you for reaching out.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
I was joking. : - )

I am seriously glad you made it out without injury.

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me to. I didn't want to see the bike go bouncing down the street but if I needed to bail. I was so gone!! :)

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree. My initial thought was to get off and let it go. The bikes first reaction was the tail end swinging out to the right. I had the bars crossed over as far as I could to stop and correct that action. At one point I was almost completely sideways and it felt like it was going to come around on me. At that's when I came close to letting it go but just held in a little longer. Fortunately it worked out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Entirely different story, but had a tricky situation in my Toyota MR2 some years ago. I was cruising about 80 - 85 on a two lane divided highway. Way up ahead a truck on the right shoulder started moving slowly forward and then into the right most lane. I kept coming in the left lane. The truck continued and actually started a U turn through the median! By that time I was getting very close at full speed I nailed the brakes and started skidding. My arrival was going to be exactly when the truck took up both lanes entirely. The MR2 does skid in a nice straight line. When I was within 50 feet or so and still skidding it looked like a few feet on the right were clearing up so I let off the gas and steered around missing the rear of the truck by inches. I'd have augured in at maybe 30 mph without the evasive maneuver. I looked back at a massive blue cloud with cars barely visible in the smoke. At the time I suffered from an undiagnosed thyroid condition that had me falling asleep every few minutes behind the wheel. When my head dropped I'd wake up and keep going. Lucky I was relatively alert on this one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A skilled piece of mental reaction and riding ability. Well done. There should be a merit badge or something for making a save like that.

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A skilled piece of mental reaction and riding ability. Well done. There should be a merit badge or something for making a save like that.
Thank you! Not something that I ever want to repeat but I have no doubt that the education that came with it is huge.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow, thats some good riding there.....I took a wide turn at 10 or so and put the bike down, you lock up at 85 and keep it upright....TOP NOTCH man. Glad to hear you are ok.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts