Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

While traveling on my SV650 last summer, there was a time or two I'd have liked to run down a dirt road two or three miles to camping areas, but didn't with my squirmy stock tires, now due for replacement.

What would be a decent tire for say 80/20 running on SV? Something to make that 17in front feel just slightly more planted.

I'm sort of looking at Pirelli MT 60-R, any others?

PS, yeah, I know, take my DR650 instead,... Got that.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
MTR60s will wear out fast, excellent in wet, they get greasy of hot dry pavment

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Two problems as I see it - Most dual sport tires seem to designed for a 19 inch front wheel, not 17". Also, the SV's rear wheel width will cause some distortion of the profile of any dual sport tire, since the SV's rear wheel is wider than most dual sport wheels. At one point, I dreamed about putting Shinko 705s on my SV, but they don't come in a 17" front size.
I just did the opposite on my DL650, switching to road-oriented tires which meant using two different style tires instead of matching treads. Hopefully, before I have to next replace my tires, I will be able to locate a better match. Ideally, I would like to find a set of sport touring tires that come in the right sizes for my Strom.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yip, searching for tires on motorcycle superstore, bike bandit seems to show a pretty limited selection. I do see the correct sizes as stock for some.

The pirelli's looked the best, most knobby-like, but if they get greasy on hot pavement that is a problem. On my long trips I tend to escape the NW to much warmer climates.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Street tires should do fine on reasonably groomed dirt roads. My KTM 625SMC would pull wheelies on fire roads, running BT016s. Sure, I could get a little crossed up on corner exit if I wanted to, but that was entirely voluntary - if I didn't want to, it would stay in line. And that's on sportbike tires.

The 929 and SV both saw dirt too, and even roads in bad shape are pretty easy if you take it slow.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Two problems as I see it - Most dual sport tires seem to designed for a 19 inch front wheel, not 17". Also, the SV's rear wheel width will cause some distortion of the profile of any dual sport tire, since the SV's rear wheel is wider than most dual sport wheels. At one point, I dreamed about putting Shinko 705s on my SV, but they don't come in a 17" front size.
I just did the opposite on my DL650, switching to road-oriented tires which meant using two different style tires instead of matching treads. Hopefully, before I have to next replace my tires, I will be able to locate a better match. Ideally, I would like to find a set of sport touring tires that come in the right sizes for my Strom.
Michelin PR3s. GREAT tire on the V-Strom.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I've done plenty of dirt road miles on street tires over the years, on a variety of pure street bikes with very few problems. As long as you can stay out of deep sand or mud you're generally ok.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I've done plenty of dirt road miles on street tires over the years, on a variety of pure street bikes with very few problems. As long as you can stay out of deep sand or mud you're generally ok.
+1. I took my SV on a bunch of dirt roads without any problems. If anything it caused me to be a bit of a dumbass once I was used to it, throttling through turns to do powerslides, locking up brakes, etc

Momentum and a bit of speed are your friends. It is much easier to keep it upright as long as the bike is in motion compared to the work needed to paddle along or push though crap.

And it may look stupid, but I tend to stand up on the pegs when crossing any kind of sketchy stuff, similar (but a lot more bent over) to how I would ride a dirt bike on a trail.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I have about 1/2 mile of "Seasonal Road" to get out to the main road. If it's damp it's OK, but really dry and this one area is like a sand trap. If it's wet, the hill in the woods is slick mud.

It has crossed my mind to get something that would work better on our road, but the selection is really limited and the prices are up there too. I've come close to dumping it a couple of times, but I've gotten pretty used to it and what to expect. It's probably making me a better rider too.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
everybodies right on the money, conventional sport touring tires will get ya anywhere thats called a road

MTR60 corsa's will give you more confidence but are $$$ and wear out fast, I run them on my SV in winter when its cold, get about 3500 miles a set, fronts scallop badly as quick as the rear wears out. in warmer temps, fall & spring , I've worn out a set in less than a week/1k

I picked up with a spare set of wheels, so now its convenient to swap for a summer adventure ride

on the rear if ya really wanna off road, the 4½" wheel is within the specs of a 150/70-17, you could get a TKC or Karoo, it would be slightly taller than the 160/60 (by 9mm) in front, and a 130/80-17 rear tire up front

the extra tire height might help in the SV's clearance deficencies if your planning on riding trails that require that kind of tire

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
What about Avon Distanza's? Lots of guys run them on Super Motos. They seem to provide a very good blend of street/light dirt.

ac
distanzias are no better off road than a sport touring tire, in SV sizes the are a soft supermotard tire and wear out almost as quick as MTR60s, tried a set once, I liked them on pavment, didn't get greasy like the MTR60s

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Fair enough. No personal experience here.

ac
with the exception of there handling as a sport tire in paved twisties, I was very dissapointed, I think the set lasted me 2500 miles or so

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input folks, looks like I'll just have to "man-up", pick a decent set of sport-touring tires and just ride it. I already have the bike set up to where I can stand and ride it like a dirt bike. Moose barkbusters, frame-sliders and the luggage would protect the bike for the most part in a slow tip-over.

I get a few hundred yards of dirt riding in on every ride just to get down the long dirt road from my house to a paved road and doing fine, even on the mini-ceptor with its 16in front tire! Only mud has really ever given me grief, so I guess I avoid that situation (and sand) and I'll be good to go.

Heh-heh, or go ride the peaky, torque-less 400 Bandit a bunch in the dirt with it's road-attacks, after that, SV should be a piece of cake.

That said, the TKC's still sound kinda cool,... ;-)

Thanks again folks, info is much appreciated.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I do a minimum of 1 mile on gravel every time I leave my house and I've been fine with street tires. I'm rocking a pilot power up front and a PR2 in the back.

Just gotta be smooth and slow and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also found that sport touring tires are fine for a little off-road. I took my SV off-road several times on the Cabot Trail running PR3, 2up + luggage. It was absolutely fine even when riding on chunky rocks on the shore of the St Lawrence gulf.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I've burned through 2 sets of TKC80s on my BMW. They are OK, nothing special, and considering the 4-5k mi life I saw with them (split about 50:50 between dirt and asphalt on a 650 thumper I can't imagine how fast the BMW 1000RR would go through a rear tire. The fronts cup pretty bad on asphalt. They also rattle your teeth something fierce above about 60mph on pavement.

If people are still interested in "more aggressive tires" take a look at the Metz Sahara 3, they come in 17" sizes. I still argue that the SV is just fine on dirt roads with street tires, and just begging for injuries or broken bike parts on gnarlier terrain without a lot of offroad experience, but to each their own. The Sahara's last about 7-9k mi on my thumper, have far better grip on the pavement than anything that really looks like a knobbie, and still have enough of a tread to deal with some mud or sand. I have even passed a leaned over SV in a curve with them mounted. He wasn't racing, but was moving along and was very surprised that I could do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts