Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found one on craigslist for $1000, what do you guys think? Good bike to have as a commuter and maybe a future cafe project?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Great bikes, very reliable if it hasn't been trashed.
Considered a good handling bike in its day, be careful when you start to ride it. There has been a quantum leap in frame, suspension, and brake technology since these were built.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Very nice looking bike, looks like no one has messed with it except to replace the stock exhaust. This is not unusual as the stockers tended to rust through pretty quickly unless meticulously maintained.
You don't say how many miles are on it, but these bikes would go 100K miles on just routine maintenance easily. If it is at 16K miles or more, you should have the valve clearance checked and have a look at the cam chain tensioner.
These air cooled engines are noisier than water cool motors, so expect some clatter from the engine. Also, all the air cooled motors from this era have a distinctive smell when hot, it is normal. I don't know how to describe it, but my 81 CB 900 has it, my old CB 750 had it as well. My 96 Kat has it but the Suzy is a little different odor. They also make little snap crackle pop noises while cooling off.

I'd go for it unless it has a horrendous number of miles on it, if the engine is in as good of shape as the rest of the bike it is a steal. In my part of the country these bikes are becoming collector's items (or were before the economy sh%t the bed.

Glad it isn't around my house, I would have to buy it, then the missus would have my head on a plate. Don't wait too long or it will be gone, gone gone.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
looks good, well cared for.
rear wheel is not stock. original is 18" rim. maybe aftermarket shocks too, not sure about that.
i'd go for it, for the cafe project. don't worry about mileage, they are easy to rebuild.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The 79 (actually 79 1/2, they started the year with the SOHC motor) is a dual cam motor, 4 valves per cylinder. These things really rock, that is the one I had. Was the fastest 750 when it came out.
I would be torn, as this one also looks well cared for. But the 550 is lighter and smaller, had a stiffer frame, and really looks good as a cafe. The 750 Sport is pretty cafe from the factory.

At 12K miles, the 550 is "just broken in". I bet the 750 is also low milage, still has the stock exhaust and looks way too clean to be high milage.

Thats a tough choice, it su&ks to be you (in the best way, it looks like you couldn't go wrong with either).

I'm really glad I don't live around there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 79 (actually 79 1/2, they started the year with the SOHC motor) is a dual cam motor, 4 valves per cylinder. These things really rock, that is the one I had. Was the fastest 750 when it came out.
I would be torn, as this one also looks well cared for. But the 550 is lighter and smaller, had a stiffer frame, and really looks good as a cafe. The 750 Sport is pretty cafe from the factory.

At 12K miles, the 550 is "just broken in". I bet the 750 is also low milage, still has the stock exhaust and looks way too clean to be high milage.

Thats a tough choice, it su&ks to be you (in the best way, it looks like you couldn't go wrong with either).

I'm really glad I don't live around there.
Looking at them both and I'm leaning more towards the 550....bleh, I'll have to check them out tomorrow or Tuesday. See which one will give me a better offer.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
The 750 in that ad is the exact same year and model as my first bike. It definitely had some balls (at least for that time). Sure looks pretty!

·
Registered
233 Posts
if that pic is current, then thats a good looking bike for $1000, if it runs too, then all you risk is $1,000. if i wanted a second bike though i'd probably by an old ninja250 for just a bit more bread.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Do these or the '77 CB 450 4 cylinders use point adjust ignition. Ihad an old cafe KZ 650 that was fun to ride, but man those points would always rattle out of adjustment or the engine would die from the rain.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Do these or the '77 CB 450 4 cylinders use point adjust ignition. Ihad an old cafe KZ 650 that was fun to ride, but man those points would always rattle out of adjustment or the engine would die from the rain.
"dyna s" electronic ignition replaces the point plate and plugs right in. have to do an initial timing adjust then forget about it. had one for my kz900, worked great for about $100. (that was in 1980, don't know what you'd have to pay now, or even if they are still around. just a thought.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts