Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i am about to put on my new front end and i wanted to ask this from people who have done the swap . i have an 04 svs . on the steering head , what did you guys end up using . i know you can rap it with tape and you a pair of candy grabbers . . how many people has this worked for ? i found this tool http://www.komotodraggin.com/steering.html
if everyone else has found this tool cheaper let me know $75 for a one time use kind of sounds high to me.. though who ever put my bike together soaked it with red lock tight. so i am thinking i might have to . unless someone would let me borrow there's ;D
one more thing i am taking out the motor too i would like to hear from people who have done this too on the best way to do it . i was thing a floor jack under it to lower it from the frame .. glad winter is long here :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
I use a screwdriver and hammer to tighten/loosen the steering stem bearing nuts. Seems to work just fine.

Also to remove the engine - an extra pair of hands will help a lot. Make sure everything is disconnected. When I removed the engine from my bike, there were three of us. One to loosen the bolts and take them out. The other two to hold the engine from falling backwards or forwards. And then, while two of us were holding the engine, one of us built an engine "crate" for it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aaaah good idea . i was looking to send my wheels out too and they said something about a bearing removel tool . do i really need this tool ? or will a screw driver work ??

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
coyote said:
aaaah good idea .   i was looking to send my wheels out too and they said something about a bearing removel tool . do i really need this tool ? or will a screw driver work ??
i dont think you re-use the bearings, so the hammer/screw driver should work.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i know but i dont want to Funk up the rim while takeing it out , i will just have to take care not too i guess :) . only other thing i think i might have truble with is take out the motor by myself .. it's should be ok i think :-\ i will let ya know ;) thanks all

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you know the bearing in the wheel it needs to come out so i can send it out for anodi. so i was asking the best way to take it out ..

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Use a Big Hammer:

This is my Big Hammer, though mine is 40 years old :) That, and a very blunt, narrow-head wood chise... bearings come out. You need to work around the bearing, because if you drive it out with excess force on one side you could theoretically oval the hole in the wheel. Same goes for head bearings if you're ever doing those.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's my tool for the steering stem nuts. It's homemade and not very pretty, but it allows me to use my torque wrench.
The allen key is for the gsxr front axle.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Maritan said:
I use a screwdriver and hammer to tighten/loosen the steering stem bearing nuts. Seems to work just fine.

Also to remove the engine - an extra pair of hands will help a lot. Make sure everything is disconnected. When I removed the engine from my bike, there were three of us. One to loosen the bolts and take them out. The other two to hold the engine from falling backwards or forwards. And then, while two of us were holding the engine, one of us built an engine "crate" for it.
It's actually not too hard to do this all yourself. Just need a jack, and must learn the Stimpy butt walk once the engine is on your legs. ;D

Grav.

·
Registered
330 Posts
On the subject of bearings. Warm up the wheel hub around the bearing with a propane torch, about 150 - 180 degrees. At 150 degrees you can touch the aluminum for a short period without burning your hand. The aluminum expands lessening the press fit and it strains the aluminum less on the way out. Never reuse a bearing you have driven out with a hammer unless you only are applying force to the race that is pressed in. This is impossible on the SV wheels. When pressing in new bearings use the axle to point the bearings towards each other and apply force only to the outside race not the inner race. Use a large socket. I use double sealed ball bearing instead of shielded bearings, they keep the grease inside the bearing and the water outside.

Zak

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they thanks good idea :) i just figured that once you had the bearing out it , you had to put a brand new one in. how much are the shield bearing you use ? and where abouts do you get them online ???? thanks again man ..

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I don't know about how the bearings are on a bike but I used to use an uber large socket and a BFH to remove auto ones if I didn't have a puller. I'm guessing though its a little different between a 4x4 and an SV.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.