Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer has an 07' SV1000S leftover listed at $7899 not including tax, reg, fees etc...I told them i would buy it today if they could get me OTD for under $7,000 but the best they would do is $7,250, they said that would only leave the salesman $50 in commision...whatever. Does $7,250 seem like a reasonable deal? I'm also looking at a couple of nice used 06's in the $6-6,500 range. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I would try to get them down to about $6500. Argue with the facts that the Sv1K has never been a big seller in the US, and the fact that its not being made anymore. Can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, they said they wanted to move it fast so I told em' I'd take it today for under $7,000. I argued with em for a couple hours but they wouldn't budge more than the $7250 price. He kept saying "my salesman is only making $50 bucks on the deal as it is" and My GF was feeling bad for him...Lol. I told them I have some better priced bikes to look at and if they are willing to drop the price to under 7 OTD to give me a call. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
So if they came in at $6999 would you get it? I would just do it for the 7250 if that was the bike I was looking for. You could always find a used one and save some money but how many new ones are left out there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought a 2005 SV1000S in 2007 with 3k miles, w/ yosh exhaust... I paid $6,000... I would try and get it for cheaper than $7,250.

- Jordan

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Tell them that what the salesman makes in commission is none of your business and then stand firm on your offer of buying the bike under $7k. Don't be afraid to walk away, that's what give power in negotiating with the dealer.

btw, if the salesman is only making $50, then it's because the dealer is skimming too much off the top and not because your paying too little. You could tell the dealer to take a smaller cut so the salesman could make more money. But personally I would tell them all that I don't care who's making what money... I want the bike for less than $7k and if they can't sell it to me for that then I won't buy it. I'd leave my phone number in case they change their mind... Then when they called on Monday to accept my offer, I'd tell them that they deal was only good for Saturday and now I won't pay more than $6750.

·
Registered
312 Posts
A couple of things.....if this particular dealer has a good rep (customer service, repairs, fighting for warranty work, etc.), it might be worth a few hundred dollars to support them. Just food for thought.

OTOH, if they suck balls, play super hard ball. I just looked and CycleTrader.com has 11 '07 SV1000s for under $7,000. Call a few of the dealer numbers listed and ask what their OTD prices are and write them down on the printed ads. You can then be armed with hard facts and whip them out to show them to the sales dude. Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
I would try to get them down to about $6500. Argue with the facts that the Sv1K has never been a big seller in the US, and the fact that its not being made anymore. Can't hurt to try.
umm thats exactly why the price should be higher.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
did you happen to leave the salesmen your phone number? i was going to buy a car last year and i wanted it under 15,000. the dealership wouldnt go below 15,500 so i walked. my wife was bummed i wouldnt deal with them over 500 buck becasue she really wanted the car. i told her dont worry about it they will call us back. 2 days later they called and said 14,900 but i was already kinda irritated by that time so i told them no again. next day they called again and said 14k but buy then i was just like screw it and waited till this year to get a car. if your dealer is anything like over here its pretty slow (at least the few times ive been in there for oil and parts. ) i bet theyll call you back within a couple days if you left your number. and by the way they did the whole pore salesman commission routine to me to, its a load of crap.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I got my '06 1000 for 6999.00 + tt at the end of '06.
Go to the svportal(sv1000 forum).There is bikes for sale there.Also they're was great 1000 for sale here also.If you get a used bike for $5000 w/after market parts and pay $500.00 for shipping it's cheap.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
umm thats exactly why the price should be higher.....
Bike is not being made anymore cause the market was too small..and thus why the sales were so low...demand makes a bike worth more...lack of demand makes a bike worth less.

Will they get a sucker to buy at the price they want...maybe..some people do not price shop...many do though.

Mike, I'd find out, if you can, how long the bike has been there....just like houses on the market..the longer they sit without being sold..usually the lower they go for.

As far as how much the sales guy is making...on the sale...no concern of who is buying the bike. I have a couple buddies that work at dealers...bike money is usually on the financing.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies guys...I'm still Mulling it over and looking at some used deals as well. The 07 at the dealer has been on the floor for a year now, as it stands they are offering me the bike for $6,600 + tax and title and they are waiving the dealer build fees etc. It is new and the warranty would be nice. They are also a very good dealer so It may be worth giving them my business. We'll see how it goes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts