Tools - check
Tire kit - check
Extra chain lube - check

Every 150-200 miles will take a break.

Anything else I should prepare for?

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Doable but not recommendable, specially if you're not used to those kinds of distances. Your butt will kill you and your whole body will hurt a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I've done a number of 700 mile days, a few of them all secondary roads (no slab)

Doing it on highway isn't too hard, just boring.

I would recommend taking a short break every hour or so, not every 150 miles.

Stay hydrated.

If using the stock seat, go buy an Airhawk pad or at least a sheepskin cover.

Have at it!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I actually love doing high mileage days. I've done probably a dozen or so 700 mile days, two 800 mile days, and one 1000 mile day. Of all the things I can possibly recommend for a high mileage day in the saddle is to leave early. Seriously. Get started at 3am, 4am, or 5am at the latest. When you're able to get 400 miles or so in by lunch time, it's a big morale boost to know you've still got a lot of day left ahead of you to get the miles done in.

Other things:
-Ear plugs. Wear 'em.

-Don't wear a back pack. They may be fine for short jaunts, but they'll kill your back and/or shoulders on a long day.

-I like to shoot for 100 miles between stops. Any shorter and you lose too much time. Any longer and it gets uncomfortable... Plus I'm ready for a p!ss (really? I can't spell this out?) break by this time. You can stretch it out to 150-200 miles between stops, but I personally wouldn't set that as a goal. I have done intervals like that when I really wanted to make time, but it just sucks.

-If you can get a seat pad, they're worth their weight in gold.

-Keep hydrated. Either keep sipping on a camelback as you ride or make sure to down a full bottle at a gas station on your rest breaks. Being dehydrated will tire you out more quickly, make you physically more uncomfortable, and tire you out. I'm kind of a Nazi when it comes to being hydrated (used to be an army medic). My bladder is usually my limiting factor for time between breaks. I don't have a small bladder either, I just drink a lot of water.

-As much as interstate highways suck, if you're trying to do big miles in a day, they're the way to go. My 1000 mile day was mostly highway, and a few of the 600 and 700 mile days on secondary roads felt as long or longer than the 1000 highway miles (though more fun).

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
don't wear cotton underwear with seams

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

700, 1000, even 1500 miles is easily doable wearing the right gear and ergonomic setup

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
700 miles is a lot, having just done 460 in a day on my way to Indy. A straight shot would have been just over 700 miles, but I was glad to break it up. I'd second starting very early, which would give you the chance to catch a nap somewhere, and take longer breaks.

Maybe it was the way I rode, but my knees, ankles, calves and inside of my thighs were all tired, pulled, stretched or aching, and my ass was sore. I'd probably recommend padded cycling shorts or something similar.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've done a number of 700 mile days, a few of them all secondary roads (no slab)

Doing it on highway isn't too hard, just boring.

I would recommend taking a short break every hour or so, not every 150 miles.

Stay hydrated.

If using the stock seat, go buy an Airhawk pad or at least a sheepskin cover.

Have at it!
+1 about boring highways. try to blend the ride with back roads to. Helps to keep you awake.

+1 about breaks every hour. Breaking by miles could vary depending on road conditions. I usually start out with long times between breaks then shorten the time between breaks as I go on

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
788 Posts
Maybe add a bandana under your helmet. I did 800 in 3 days and between the sweat and helmet padding it created micro cuts on my forehead. Hurt like hell when my head got sweaty

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome advice, thanks.

going to do it :)

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I'd rather ride than drive 700 miles. Stale music, funky smell, food wrappers on the floor, being cooked up in a tin can...

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Meh, I can start falling asleep after two hours behind the wheel, or have a sh1t eating grin on my face for most of the ride. (there are moments where you question your choice, but those are fleeting lol)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
for me, except for a big as truck or van, cages are uncomfortable, feet too far forward like riding a cruiser, worse ergonomic positon you can possibly come up with, I can drive a cage about 15 minutes before my back is killing me and siatica is acting up

with a bike like nekid SV, knees bent perfect, torso canted slighly forward, I can ride all day and then some, with the right underwear that have no seams and wick sweat away, no sore butt, no aching limbs

music, I can fit over 200 hours of MP3s on my Zumo piped right into my helmet with my Autocom. If the highway is boring, your taking the wrong one, most are more scenic than primary 2 lanes and even a lot of back roads

course if your destination is a fugly city, you can't help but going on boring roads

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
I've done 700+ miles a few times on highway and suffered no ill effects. (Maybe the fact that I carry my own internal gel seat helps.;D )

It can be exhausting on the twisties. I've had aches and pains after 300+ miles when riding means throwing my bulk from side-to-side.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Done deal :) Riding out next Saturday morning, very excited.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts