Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

650R, did Kawi got this one right?

3K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  Nudist 
#1 ·
seems like Kawi despite stepping late to plate got this one right, and it will be more then a match to SV.

650R:
Full fairings +1
cartridge forks +1
handling (at least in stock form) +1
Superbike bars +1
Lower seat +1
Narrower +1
Low center grav +1
Better low/mid-end torque +1
better position +1
steel frame (easier to fix) +1
better roll on times +1
200$ less MSRP +1

No grab bar -1
extra 10lb -1
P-twin vibration -1
smaller tank -1
aftermarket support -1

better MPG?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know where you got this information.

This bike does NOT have cartridge type forks, only damper rod type.

#3 ·
tonyjuliano said:
I don't know where you got this information.

This bike does NOT have cartridge type forks, only damper rod type.
it has forks similar to Z750, 41mm non-adjustable cartridge

#5 ·
kwak zzr said:
sorry but are we talking about the ER6 (UK)
As it's a parallell twin i guess it must be. saw the er6-f at the NEC show and it's one fugly machine IMHO, not as ugly as the er6-n though...

G
#8 ·
i think the ER6 is an awful looking bike and i honestly cant see what people see in it. Aesthetically id take the SV over the Kwak anyday

Dont know if any other Brits read Bike magazine this month but theres a BMW which is going up against the SV. Looks ugly too but supposed to put out 80bhp from its v twin setup. Its an 800cc

#11 ·
i like it. look forward to reading the reviews. almost held out before i pickedup my 05 svs but didn't. really love the sv, but always like to hear about new and different motorcycles. if it turns out to be a serious competitor to the sv market, it will drive suzuki to improve upon the current sv. so all's good.

#12 ·
I've searched every review that i could find (along with the Kawasaki site) and I can find no mention of cartridge forks on this bike. I've also not found actual HP or torque numbers for this motor, so I'm calling "doubtful".

#14 ·
I sat on one and talked to the kawi rep at the Dallas bike show this past weekend. It has non-adjustable damper rod forks. It also has handlebars, not clip-ons, and very low foot pegs... so for a fully-faired sport-looking bike its decidedly NON sporty in the riding position. Also the upper part of the fairing is so high it would be virtually impossible to put clip-ons on the bike.

Oh and I hate the swingarm... it really looks cheap.

Pass.

#15 ·
Novadesigns said:
I sat on one and talked to the kawi rep at the Dallas bike show this past weekend. It has non-adjustable damper rod forks. It also has handlebars, not clip-ons, and very low foot pegs... so for a fully-faired sport-looking bike its decidedly NON sporty in the riding position. Also the upper part of the fairing is so high it would be virtually impossible to put clip-ons on the bike.

Oh and I hate the swingarm... it really looks cheap.

Pass.
Change "I call doubtful" to "I call bullshit"

#16 ·
The reviews of the ER6 in the UK press have so far been fairly favourable. It was reviewed in direct competition with the SV in one magazine and IIRC the SV only just came out on top.

Is the unfaired version going to be available in the US or only the faired version? (reason I ask is Benda's post about selling the fairings on ebay - would surely be easier to buy the naked version...)

#18 ·
Novadesigns said:
It also has handlebars, not clip-ons, and very low foot pegs...
From the pictures with and without riders, it looks like a rather 'lazy' and non-sporting rider position. The low pegs, low-ish seat height and high bars tell me that there isn't a lot of weight on the front wheel. IF that's true - then it'll hamper its track and twisty performance.

Betcha the thing'll wheelie to the moon without much effort, though. :)

#20 ·
svryder said:
has anyone here ever ridden a parallel twin??   Very little torque off the line a a wheezy at high revs if I remember right !
I don't think this would be the case, since it did 1/4 mile .2sec faster then SV, and the final speed was ~2-3mph lower. This is from heavier bike with less HP.

#21 ·
El Saxo said:
Is the unfaired version going to be available in the US or only the faired version?
faired only; and they named it Ninja 650R since for USAer's ER stands for Emergency Room.

#22 ·
Ruefus said:
From the pictures with and without riders, it looks like a rather 'lazy' and non-sporting rider position.  The low pegs, low-ish seat height and high bars tell me that there isn't a lot of weight on the front wheel.  IF that's true - then it'll hamper its track and twisty performance.

Betcha the thing'll wheelie to the moon without much effort, though. :)
keep in mind that it is inline and they made engine very short; moved battery lower and forward; under engine exhaust; all those things must put more weight on front.

With respect to position it is deceiving; SV is very tall bike to start with. If it is anything like on Z750 it is a good compromize. Z750 bars are much lower then on SV, yet higher then SVS. Just about where you'd get them on SVS with Hawk GT clip-ons.

#23 ·
El Saxo said:
The reviews of the ER6 in the UK press have so far been fairly favourable. It was reviewed in direct competition with the SV in one magazine and IIRC the SV only just came out on top.
I wouldn't put too much faith in the UK press as far as what sells vs the SV. They raved about the Z750, said it was a better bike in every measurable way, and yet it didn't put so much as a dent in SV sales.. in fact SV sales were up the year the Z750 came out. We'll just have to wait and see how this bike is received by the riding public.

#24 ·
all i know that is that i can expect to see some fool pass me in a corner like im standing still.

#25 ·
cyclopathic said:
I don't think this would be the case, since it did 1/4 mile .5sec faster then SV, and the final speed was ~2-3mph lower. This is from heavier bike with less HP.
I'd still like to know where your numbers are coming from. I cannot find published numbers anywhere for this bike. And you previously stated that this bike has cartridge forks, which is patently false.

#26 ·
cyclopathic said:
With respect to position it is deceiving; SV is very tall bike to start with. If it is anything like on Z750 it is a good compromize. Z750 bars are much lower then on SV, yet higher then SVS. Just about where you'd get them on SVS with Hawk GT clip-ons.
This bike is taller than even the naked SV, and MUCH taller than the SVS. I sat on each back to back. The riding position is not at all like the Z-750... its much less agressive. It feels very upright compared with any other sport-styled bike I've sat on. I can't imagine riding this thing on a track, it would feel very weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.