Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody heard of these? My motors bout shot..... :x So I'm in the market for a new one, ran into a guy at a shop that says he can change it ouver to a 750.....got my interset....anybody know anything about it?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If some one could point me in the direction of a thread like this I would be happy....

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Zlock Racing sells a 744cc kit.
http://www.zlockracing.com/new_products.html
However, if your motor is "bout shot," I don't see how increasing the internal stresses by making more power/stroke is going to make it any healthier. :?

Falicon also sells a set-up
http://www.faliconcranks.com/suz-v.htm which might be stronger. It certainly ain't cheap. Then again, neither is a blown motor. The Falicon kit (which costs about 3x what the Zlock kit goes for) beefs up hte bottom end and includes stronger rods, IIRC.

Let us know if you drop the dough for a bigger SV engine; and how it works out. (Of course, there's always the SV1000)

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
2 ways of doing 750cc... A 750 big bore, or the Falicon stroker crank and a 700cc big bore. Neither is an especially good idea unless you'r racing it at a pretty high level,it seems. The Falicon crank will set you back something like $2000 plus labour IIRC plus pistons... The 750, less, but more epotentially damaging for a motor.

But those are just things you can do to a 650 engine, is this guy saying he's got a 750 that's compatible or something? or is he going to fix yours in some way that'll raise the capacity? Could use a bit more info here.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to go up in the CC's, get alittle more power out of it....But I also want reliability at the same, so what do you guys recomend? Should i go up, or just rebuild the motor?

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
The Consensus of Learned Opinion (CLO) on this site is that you can get to about 80bhp with the 650 without increasing displacement. You should look at the various threads in the SV Mods forum and read the arguments for and against the various commonly-done modifications. I'd love it if somebody on the board tried the Zlock 744 kit and reported back on how it imporved the street giddyup of the SV.
Should i go up, or just rebuild the motor?
Well, since you're asking, and its your money and your motor, SURE!!

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
What's actually wrong with your motor? How many miles, what's it doing wrong? And what year bike?

Mine is sitting quite happy just below 80 horses at the rear wheel with a race system, BMC Race RS filter, K3 cam swap. That's more than you get from 700cc, (though of course you can combine any of those with the 700cc kit) and it's easier to do as well.

There's a general vibe against big-bore for the street on here, which I totally understand, but I might still go with the 700cc kit in a while- if you can do your own work (apart from the rebore) it's surprisingly cheap, and it's an interesting project(plus, I'd like a set of SV700R on my resprayed nose) Anything more, I would steer away from personally, but I need good reliability and lastability more than I want power.

FWIW, I reckon brake and simple suspension upgrades are good for more average speed than the same money spent on power mods... A 100bhp engine's no good if it's going into the stock setup. So if you've not done any of those, do 'em first.

I guarantee that my suspension mods took more ff my lap times than the power mods. (but note that I'm not a racer, I'm a half-assed trackdayer :lol: )

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
I'm a half-assed trackdayer
Like Cunegonde, the Woman with One Buttock? That must really upset your lateral balance. :lol:

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Fatass SVS said:
I'm a half-assed trackdayer
Like Cunegonde, the Woman with One Buttock? That must really upset your lateral balance. :lol:
:) Funnily enough, I just had a fairly large chunk of right ass cut off when the surgeons were on their way in to my hip to stick a few bolts through it (that's proper modding, none of your 700cc nonsense here, I went direct for the chassis and replaced the original weak bone with 3 3 inch M8 stainless bolts!) maybe not quite half assed, but I'm down at least an eighth :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have an 02, it's sitting at 24K miles...you see my mods on the signature...and it's making a REALLY loud rattling noise when I go up in the RPMs or let off the throttle, and I can hear it when cruising at at 60 MPH......I think I'll take it by the shop to let them hear it tues.....since none of them are open tommorrow or Mon...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Don't kno what the :oops: was for Fatass :)

650RR, rattles while cruising are unusual. You're sure it's the engine? No offence, but the likeliest cause of a rattle while on the move would be a bad link in your chain rattling as it goes around the front sprocket, and from above that's sound like it was coming from the rear of the engine...

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
The " :oops: " was for beeing cheeky about your "half-assed" remark, only to find you are actually ass-mass challenged. (Sorry about the term "cheeky" I couldn't resist.)

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Yeah, thought so. Just meant there was nothing to be :oops: about, I'll be in full possession of a proper fat ass again soon enough :) In the meantime, we'll see how good that gel seat really is!

S

·
0 Posts
750 kit is going to probably cost you 2grand by the time you install it.
Why not just get some flatslide carbs and cams and busa pistons. That would give you mad power and not increase stress on the engine. If its already on the way out, putting a 750 kit into it is going to murder it. Or you could remove one of the head gaskets and bump the compression for almost free! You would do well to either get a new(er) engine off ebay, or get a good tuneup, because the last thing you want to do is mod a fucked engine, and if yours makes noises, you could be throwing money down the toilet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts