Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace the blown gixxr shock with a 636 shock as I have heard they are a little stiffer...are some years better than other years? I noticed on ebay some have a red spring with gold reservoir and some black spring grey reservoir...which is better suited to the SV?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
silver & black = 03/04
red & gold = 05/06

They're both close enough that I wouldn't pick one over the other on any merit other than the colors.

Like any shock, I'd look for low miles and make sure the PO didn't goober up the compression/dampening adjuster screw heads...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
how much do you weigh? 636 shocks are too stiff for most people on 2nd gen sv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wonderjosh said:
how much do you weigh? 636 shocks are too stiff for most people on 2nd gen sv
190 with all my stuff on, do you know if the 636 shocks add a little ride height like the gixxer shock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
if you are 190 it will be too stiff.. if i were you, i would go with 04 gsxr1000 shock (490lb spring)... think that would work better for you.

and yes 636 will raise ride height more than gsxr shock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much do you weight? - I had an 04 GSXR1k shock on there and its blown, I have the stock back on temporarily. The GSXR shock actually felt like it lowered the ride height, but then again its most likely because its blown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
donniej said:
If it is to stiff, I wonder how hard it is to swap springs...
new springs are $100.. kind of defeats the purpose of buying a cheapo ebay shock in my opinion. and putting a new spring wont change the valving, which is notoriously harsh on those shocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
Storz said:
How much do you weight? - I had an 04 GSXR1k shock on there and its blown, I have the stock back on temporarily. The GSXR shock actually felt like it lowered the ride height, but then again its most likely because its blown.
04 gsxr1k shock is like 2mm longer than sv shock, so it raises ride height a teeny bit. if you want more you could always use longer dogbones.

so, how did you manage to blow a shock?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
wonderjosh said:
new springs are $100.. kind of defeats the purpose of buying a cheapo ebay shock in my opinion. and putting a new spring wont change the valving, which is notoriously harsh on those shocks.
The spring on the GSXR shock is fine and it would probably fit on the 636 shock... = $0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wonderjosh said:
so, how did you manage to blow a shock?
I use my SV as a motorcross bike ;)

I honestly dont know, I went to do some work on the bike about a month ago and noticed some oil underneath the bike, checked the filter and drain plug and they were all good....checked the shock and it had oil all over it and the oil on the floor was directly underneath it...blown shock ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
donniej said:
The spring on the GSXR shock is fine and it would probably fit on the 636 shock... = $0
wrrrrong :D ;D

gsxr shock is wider and has different diameter spring, so would not fit 636 shock. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,749 Posts
The 636 will raise your riding postion like 2mm so you wont notice it.  Its not THAT much of a difference.  As for it being still I am 200 lbs with my gear on and I love my 636.  If you dont wanna cut the battery box I got a good method of staying away from it.  Let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
NHSVnaked said:
The 636 will raise your riding postion like 2mm so you wont notice it.  Its not THAT much of a difference.  As for it being still I am 200 lbs with my gear on and I love my 636.  If you dont wanna cut the battery box I got a good method of staying away from it.  Let me know.
we are talking about 2nd generation bike  :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I am going to give the 636 a try, I'll hang onto the gsxr shock and have it rebuilt if the 636 doesnt feel right - Josh how much do you weigh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
Storz said:
I think I am going to give the 636 a try, I'll hang onto the gsxr shock and have it rebuilt if the 636 doesnt feel right - Josh how much do you weigh?
i weigh about 175, i had a zx10 shock on my bike until a few weeks ago. just felt too stiff and couldnt get sag set right. spring rate is same as 636 which is 540lb. At a previous trackday I had a suspension tuner guy set up my bike as good as possible with the equipment I had, he kinda looked at me and was like yeah that shock is way too stiff, theres not much I can do to make it work right for you.

Zoran said that for my weight 450lb spring would be ideal, so I went with 05 gsxr1000 shock, which has 450lb spring.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top