Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i swapped a 2003 636 shock into my 2006 SV650 monday.

I know it's a tad longer, but what does this geometry translate into at the wheel?

I have a GSXR fork sitting waiting to be swapped, so the front will drop a tad in that process as well.

Should I bother accounting for this change in my dog bones?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
03 636 shock is about 1cm longer than the stocker. The bike will turn in faster. More so once the GSXR front end is on (depending on what year).

For spirited riding, this is good. Although not necessarily via a swapped shock, around a 10mm raise in the rear is recommended.

How much do you weigh and what GSXR forks are you installing?

Since it seems like you're going for better handling, compensating for the longer shock w/ aftermarket dogbones would be counter productive.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is 1 cm really going to make a difference? I would imagine two riders differing in weight by ~50 lbs would make that same change in height.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a GSXR 1000 (2005) fork. I know this is sprung too heavily for my 185lbs. I am going to go ahead and put it in anyways. I am going to keep any eye out for bent GSXR 600 fork tubes that I can nab the springs out of later...

1cm at the shock results in what at the wheels? (isn't it more)
I didn't even think of measuring the height before installing the shock.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
10mm change in ride height is way less than 10mm change in shock length. I think ratio is 3-4ish?

depending on what you're doing .95s are actually about right.

or, I can sell you the stock .85s from my 05 750 forks. make an offer :) as long as shipping to Canada isn't too much trouble

·
Registered
443 Posts
Are you guys referring to the rear shock? I recently purchased a 06 636 rear shock for my 05 SV650 2nd gen. I havent installed it yet, I know there will be battery box cutting but it is 10mm talled than the stocker. I too am trying to figure out the translation to rear height raise as the shock is at the fulcrum of the frame/swingarm which should translate to a large raise in the rear am I right?

I also weight only 155lbs with gear and I kow that shock is pretty stiff, hoping it's not too stiff for me and that the raise in the rear is very minimal. Otherwise I assume using lowering links could be used to drop it a tad back to a better height for me

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
ratio is somewhere in the range of 2-3 so if it's 10mm longer you'll get about an inch higher in the rear

·
Registered
383 Posts
2 or so times the difference in length is about right. My '04 GSXR 1K shock was 2.5mm longer than stock, and it raised the rear 5mm.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Roughly 10mm change at the shock = 20mm ride height change.

To maintain stock trail RR ride height change should = change at triple. So 20mm up at rear means forks should be pulled 20mm out of the triple...which you can't do.

It's up to you if you're ok with the change. A 70 series tire will help (it negates the change from the GSXR forks). For reference a lot of race guys lower the forks 10mm at stock height. You may want to lengthen the dog bones some to compensate. I'm not sure the ratio for change in dog bone vs ride height.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I realized after posting I should have specified on the rise are you guys meaning the rear tail rises 2-3 times the mm of the shock height or the SEAT ride height rises that high?

Anyone in this thread have an oppinion about the shock being too stiff at 543 lbs/in for a rider 155 pounds in weight?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Anyone in this thread have an oppinion about the shock being too stiff at 543 lbs/in for a rider 155 pounds in weight?
My opinion? A total waste of time and money. That will feel like a hardtail for you. Probably better to stay with stock shock.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I realized after posting I should have specified on the rise are you guys meaning the rear tail rises 2-3 times the mm of the shock height or the SEAT ride height rises that high?

Seat height.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts