Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Ive asked the brains over @ socalsvriders this question, but I havent gotten a straight answer yet.

I have a first gen svs and I want to swap out the rear shock. It seems that the two shocks being swapped for are gixxer and 636 shocks. Besides buying the shock, what other mods do I have to do in order for the shock to be rideable on the svs?

I have read that the gixxer shock needs a higher weight spring and a revalve to handle the weight, costing about 2-3 hundred bucks.

I was wondering if anyone has any more info on this and whether the 636 shock requires the same kind of tinkering.

Thanks

--AB

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
The straight answer? Josh gave it to you.

Yes a re-spring if needed and revalve make it a good choice. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
1st generation, if you near 160lb and you do not need a race/track/aggressive ride height in the rear ... then a zx636 shock is perfect. If other situation apply then the rebuilt shocks from svraceshop.com is a good choice too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
JAS4396 said:
1st generation, if you near 160lb and you do not need a race/track/aggressive ride height in the rear ... then a zx636 shock is perfect. 
"Perfect" is a pretty strong statement........ you should see how many shims we have to take out of the damping stacks to get them spec'd correctly for the SV! The lighter the rider, the more the damping curve is off. It's only the spring rate that is closer with a lighter rider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts