Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Looks like an r1 and cbr got busy and gave both to this, but I do like it.

Phil when you getting yours? Haha

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Photo caption says engine has "more usable power."
Where's Liutas?
;D

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to see Suzuki bring the SV back but with almost comparable stats to the Ducati 848 or older 748 or 749 twins. Dual underseat exhaust, USD forks, 5.5in rear wheel. They don't have to come with a fancy shock just equip them with what the gsxr comes with.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
I would love to see Suzuki bring the SV back but with almost comparable stats to the Ducati 848 or older 748 or 749 twins. Dual underseat exhaust, USD forks, 5.5in rear wheel. They don't have to come with a fancy shock just equip them with what the gsxr comes with.
Anything else, sir?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Like the previous generation BPF, damping circuits are controlled by a large-diameter piston, but, in this version, damping takes place only in the right-side fork leg, with rebound- and compression-damping adjusters conveniently located at the top of the fork tube. Spring preload is adjusted at the top of the left tube.
I've never seen a setup like this before. Anyone care to explain why its like this? As in why the forks aren't symmetrical?

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
As in why the forks aren't symmetrical?
You have two parallel fork tubes. Why duplicate assemblies to perform identical functions when you can simplify the inner assembly in both tubes by separating the functions? Some MotoGP bikes have this feature (Yamaha maybe??) Some street bikes have this layout. Hell, even the old GS500E had separate fork functions IIRC.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You have two parallel fork tubes. Why duplicate assemblies to perform identical functions when you can simplify the inner assembly in both tubes by separating the functions? Some MotoGP bikes have this feature (Yamaha maybe??) Some street bikes have this layout. Hell, even the old GS500E had separate fork functions IIRC.

:dizzy:
So... you're saying I could install 1 goldvalve/intiminator in one fork and cut the spacer on the other on my SV and I'd be good to go? Why wouldn't every bike do this? Serious question.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
:dizzy:
So... you're saying I could install 1 goldvalve/intiminator in one fork and cut the spacer on the other on my SV and I'd be good to go?
No.
Why wouldn't every bike do this?
I don't know. I don't design motorcycles for a living. I suspect a good bit of engineering herd mentality and unwillingness to re-invent the *fork* (as opposed to wheel) had something to do with the popularity of the current popular fork design. Remember, there are only about a half dozen fork suppliers worldwide and their bread and butter is probably more hatchback support rods than super-zoot motorcycle suspensions.

Serious question.
RLY?

·
Registered
94 Posts
No.

I don't know. I don't design motorcycles for a living. I suspect a good bit of engineering herd mentality and unwillingness to re-invent the *fork* (as opposed to wheel) had something to do with the popularity of the current popular fork design. Remember, there are only about a half dozen fork suppliers worldwide and their bread and butter is probably more hatchback support rods than super-zoot motorcycle suspensions.
I don't fully understand. I mean understand the part about 'why have both forks do the same job when splitting the task between the two will suffice'. I would think you would want the forks symmetrical, but I'm not a suspension guru and if mfg's have proven asymmetrical layout works in production models, then I believe it. But I don't understand why this wouldn't translate to the SV (or other bikes) and fork mods?

RLY.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm starting to see most moto mfg is going that route on the forks. Better technology is allowing this sort of thing to happen. I wouldn't worry so much about it. It's called evolution.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts