Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike on may 29th and because of 105+degree weather and getting my permit one week after I bought the bike, I've only put 200 miles on it(pretty much in one day). Suzuki says 600 miles or 2 months. I'm gonna try to put 200 more on it tomorrow :lol: cuz it should only be 97 degrees. I just can't imagine bringing in the bike for first service with less than 500 miles on it. I don't want to void the warranty, especially since I bought extended. Anyone else been in this situation before? If I have to, I'll just ride the crap out of it so I get the milage on, not like I'd really mind that.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Ride at night?

In very hot weather it's a lot more comfortable to ride at night. It can be a little more dangerous if you live where there's lots of late traffic. Don't rush, don't ride just to pile on miles, don't ride if you don't feel "right" riding.

·
Registered
398 Posts
avc8130 said:
I would just wait until you reach the mileage or the end of your main riding season. You can do the maintenance yourself...it really isnt very difficult.
ac
+1. Download the factory manual. Everything you need to know is in there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a couple questions, since my first service is coming up in just a little bit (I'm at 435 miles):

1) Is there anything missing that I need to do, that's not in the first column of this maintenance chart? I thought there was some sort of valve adjustment to be made at the 600 mile service:

2) Can I get away with doing the service with just the tools that included with the bike? What additional ones are recommended? How necessary is the torque wrench?

I'm renting a room at a townhome right now, I have no tools to speak of outside of what comes with the bike. My old man probably has all the tools, but he'd have a heart attack if I arrived home on a motorcycle. :p

Then again, I might be able to hit up my co-workers for some help. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you are new at wrenching on things, get a torque wrench. If not, your chances of stripping threads out is very high. Just get a good one, it will be the best $50-80 you'll spend.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i did mine around 600 miles....i didnt worry about the months at all....never had a problem

now that i think about it i got it done around 750 miles...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Valve check is only due at 14K.
But, don't forget to torque down the shifter lever - they like to fall off on second gens.

kentuckyfried said:
I have a couple questions, since my first service is coming up in just a little bit (I'm at 435 miles):

1) Is there anything missing that I need to do, that's not in the first column of this maintenance chart? I thought there was some sort of valve adjustment to be made at the 600 mile service:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a few more questions...

1) What's the throttle valve synchronization I'm supposed to do (* only in California, as noted on the table)?

2) More importantly...how critical is it that the 600 mile service be done near the 600 mile mark?

I'm going to enough places this weekend that I could easily go over the 600 mi limit by about 170 miles. I could take the car instead but I think it'll be so much more fun by bike. I mean, this kind of stuff, I usually don't worry about with a car, but since I paid for this bike brand new (stupid idea or not), I am trying to do what I can to take care of it properly.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
It is the most important service to do per your warranty.

Personally, I would pay to have the dealer do it just for the documentation.
It is a shakedown maintainence tour of the bike.

Unless you are very experienced with motorcycle wrenching, I would pass this one off
and pick up what I need for tools gradually after that.

I already had my tools but can't say that I am a good bike wrencher.
I have no problems doing the rest of the maintainence after that first one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Isn't this service supposed to only cost about $80-$100?

I just got off the phone and they want $210, parts+labor, at the dealership down the street. :(

·
Registered
131 Posts
I swear...everything (whether it be the purchase price of a new SV, now the maintenance), we get raped on in California. :(

Yeah, so consistently across the board, 4-5 different places are asking $210-$215. I might be able to drop it a little by doing my own oil (-$86), but that's about it.

capachkid said:
For a 600 mile inspection and oil change??? NO WAY. I paid 40 bucks

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I paid almost $300 for my service and I do know for a fact they did what they were supposed to.

I tested them by lowering my tire pressure down to 20 psi on the rear tire and they caught it.
I also had a paint pencil and put some paint on the threads. The paint was cracked on those bolts indicating
that they were torqued.

I don't normally go to those extremes but this was a new dealer that I never did business with.
Having seen what I saw, I would recommend them to anyone in my area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i work at a car dealer. we have a first service for our cars just liek the bikes. we all take it pretty seriously. i may forget to check your washer fluid level, but i do hit all of the saftey aspects, thats a given. im over right now by about 75 miles, i need to call the dealer and see how much they want, only for the fact that i would rather not void my warrenty.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You're not going to void your warranty anyway. Just keep the reciepts for the oil and filter and you're good. Even then, I've never seen a dealer that actually asked for them.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Whats with the first service at 600 miles all about?? I'm in the process of purchasing an 06 650s and the salesman told me the break-in period is 600 miles and that I don't have to have it serviced until 15k miles. Is this right, or did he lose me somewhere in the conversation?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts