Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i got a new bike with this mod i have been making quite a few midnight runs through palos verdes drive east and surrounding roads...guys and gals, the light this kit puts out is like daylight and i find myself grinning from ear to ear as i rode..nothing like having the whole road to yourself and seeing everything

not only can you see a lot better but everybody can see you with this bluish white light...does anybody else have this mod?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Share some info please. First or second gen? Naked or skin? What brand of hid? Bi-xenon? 35 or 50w? Where'd you mount things? Did you have to cut and splice any wires? Pics? Cost?

If I do it, I'll go with a 4300k kit like I did in my car. The lower frequency puts out more visible light....intro chem ftw.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Mine has 6000K, not really my choice (I'd have gone 4300K) but there was a good price difference back when i got the kit. Love it... I suffer a lot from loss of confidence when riding at night, and I end up a bag of nerves worrying about the brick wall that's surely just out of sight :rolleyes: so I'd gone to Silverstars then to Nightbreakers which were both a good improvement, but the HIDs are something else. Even though I only run one HID now (the LHS one was a bit glarey) it's more effective solo than the pair of nightbreakers. And with the nightbreaker in one side and the HID in the other, I get the best of both worlds and a very good beam pattern (the HID is a wee bit sketchy up close, not bad at all but not perfect)

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Don't you find you get people flashing you all the time? How about the cops... those things look worse than most high beams even on low....

I'd be worried about some moron in a car drifting to the light as sometimes is the case on the highways at night

I did HID in my SVS about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Don't you find you get people flashing you all the time? How about the cops... those things look worse than most high beams even on low....
Mine is aimed right, so no problems at all. It would be glarey on full- the only reason the stock lights aren't is that they're so weak- but because dip is so effective I only really use full on the highway anyway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What do you look for when you buy kits like this? What's the difference in the bulbs (H1-H13, D2S? 9008?) and whats the color 6000K? 3000K? 12,000K? what's the diff? and what about the ballast? what's that for? can you help me on this?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
The bulbs are just the automotive bulb type, ie, my SV takes H4 bulbs so I have a H4 compatible HID kit. The colour temperature relates to the colour, or "blueness"- bigger numbers go bluer, and eventually purple, which boy racers think looks good but actually is bad to see by. Somewhere between 3800K and 4800K is where most people recommend you go, though that can vary from unit to unit. Mine are 6000K, which is very white with a slight hint of blue- not from choice, i wanted a 4300K kit but this was much cheaper at the time.

The ballast is just part of the kit, you need it to make the lights work. It could be full of magical HID pixies for all I know, it's just a wee metal box with electric in it ;)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It should be noted that one big reasons with going for lower temperatures is that those kits put out more useful light. It takes more energy to produce the same amount of light at higher frequencies. Also, a spectrum of color is produced, and as you go towards the violet end, more and more energy is wasted on light that's beyond the visible spectrum.

This reminds me...I need to start looking for the right kit. I promised myself that I'd install a bixenon kit for these few dark months.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anyone know what bulb type the 06 SV650S uses? This could be something else I could do myself and I would much rather have more visibility at night because sometimes I feel like my stock headlights don't produce enough light.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
It should be noted that one big reasons with going for lower temperatures is that those kits put out more useful light. It takes more energy to produce the same amount of light at higher frequencies. Also, a spectrum of color is produced, and as you go towards the violet end, more and more energy is wasted on light that's beyond the visible spectrum.
Absolutely. Not to mention that even with equal visible light levels, the human eye doesn't perceive depths as well with blue/white light as it does with yellow/white. The lower temps are much closer to natural light, which is what our eyes see best. I do a lot of mountain bike riding with high power LED lights, and they really can play a lot of tricks on the brain if you're not used to it because of the very white light, especially with wet surfaces, judging distance and size is tricky.

And the other thing is that really blue lights basically identify you as a knob, which is a good way to attract police attention. I have no idea what your legal position is, but my HID is illegal here. But as it's safe, and not blatantly eyecatching, it's not likely to ever be an issue. But if I'd fitted a bluer one I can almost guarantee I'd have been stopped regularily for it.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Anyone know what bulb type the 06 SV650S uses? This could be something else I could do myself and I would much rather have more visibility at night because sometimes I feel like my stock headlights don't produce enough light.
ferris, I replaced my bulbs with twin pack H4 12V 100/90W from www.starrotors.com and they seem quite nice. They're Xenon Gas Charged 6000k.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
And the other thing is that really blue lights basically identify you as a knob, which is a good way to attract police attention. I have no idea what your legal position is, but my HID is illegal here. But as it's safe, and not blatantly eyecatching, it's not likely to ever be an issue. But if I'd fitted a bluer one I can almost guarantee I'd have been stopped regularily for it.
Agreed 100%. I don't want to get hassled by the cops. It took many years to get my insurance rates where they're at now. I don't need some silly blue lights giving a cop an excuse to pull me over. In some states, it could give a cop an excuse to accuse you of street racing, which results in a crushed vehicle. Now if blue lights really did provide extra hp...maybe...

Anyway, several years ago, I switched my headlights in my car from crappy plastic housings to glass euro housings that can actually put light on the road instead of spraying light all over the place. I did it to run higher wattage bulbs, 110/130W to be precise. I never got a second look from cops, and one time I even followed a cop around for a while, then when he stopped, I pulled him aside and asked him if my lights were offensive in any way....I even told him I was asking because I wanted to have lights that would allow me to run higher wattage without blinding other drivers. After a couple years I switched the bulbs to 4300k hid's. Because of the orientation of the "filament", there's a bit of glare now, not much, but I still plan to retrofit projectors to cut back on glare.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.