Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After breaking in the new bike, should I just change the oil on my own? Or do i need to take it in to the dealer for other adjustments/checks?

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
There's a lot of folks who'll scoff at you for this... but I vote dealer for the 1st service. I do ALL my own stuff on the bike. But for the very 1st service, I took it in. I figure (like Spierings said) it helps support the warranty, and gives them a chance to check for critical issues the first go round. After that, do your own. Just my .02 cents!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I got a service plan when i bought my sv. So the dealership will be doing them till the plan runs out.
After breaking in the new bike, should I just change the oil on my own? Or do i need to take it in to the dealer for other adjustments/checks?

·
Registered
31 Posts
There's a lot of folks who'll scoff at you for this... but I vote dealer for the 1st service. I do ALL my own stuff on the bike. But for the very 1st service, I took it in. I figure (like Spierings said) it helps support the warranty, and gives them a chance to check for critical issues the first go round. After that, do your own. Just my .02 cents!
I am the same way, my bike has 10,000 miles on it now and I have only brought it to the dealer for the first service. Probably a good idea to keep the warranty.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I did my 600 mile service through the dealer and now I do my own. It was just around $50 dollars and there's a lot of things that they check also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taking it in tomorrow for $180. Yikes. But its better than the other shops offer for $230. **** so-cal markups....

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Heck for that price I would do it myself. I thought 50 bucks was steep when mine was done.

Shop time is listed as 1 hour 15 mins I believe and a quart of oil is another maybe 3-5 bucks.

EDIT: And an oil filter is $10

EDIT: My bad, I looked it up and was just over $100

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
To me, it's worth it for the initial service. Why?

My logic is, if there is anything nearing a catastrophic failure that was caused during the SV's manufacture process, this initial service is where it will hopefully be discovered & fixed. Maybe a simple bolt that wasn't torqued enough.. you get the picture.

Yes, I realize not all shops are going to really go that 'extra mile' and do a super thorough inspection. It would really depend on where you take it. I'm lucky enough to have an outstanding dealership that I trust, so for me, it was worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
on the first service, it is important for a certified technician to inspect that all parts are wearing properly. if something is not wearing properly, and it is not initially fixed, it could be tragic and end up being a whole lot more money than it would have been in the first place.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I did mine myself, the checklist is in the owners manual. It's the same checklist that's in the service manual, and that's all the dealership will do. I did mine in about 3 hours, it was a piece of cake, gave me some good hands on time and familiarization with my bike, and only cost $25 for 3 qts of suzuki 10W-40 and a filter. BTW, I called the dealership service department, and he said the follow the checklist in the service manual, and I verified it is the same as the owners manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts