Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hit 600 miles and need to change the oil, I guess I have to drain the oil by unscrewing the screw and squish washer at the bottom, removing the top screw and the filter. Where can i find the filter and the washer from? Also whats the best oil to use at 600 miles? Anyone have part numbers?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is more to the 600 mile service then an oil change. Can you not take it to the dealer for the first service? Some dealers even cut you a break on the first service if you got the bike from them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
theomen said:
There is more to the 600 mile service then an oil change. Can you not take it to the dealer for the first service? Some dealers even cut you a break on the first service if you got the bike from them.

Yeah, tons more...check the manual...

You have the daunting task of looking over your tubing and doing a couple other visual inspections, along with the ever so tricky task of torqueing down the frame bolts and engine mounts.

A dealer will charge you at least 75 bucks for that first service where they will most likely just change the oil and make a quick walk around while it's running to make sure it's making the proper noises. Heck, they may even torque those bolts down, that is, if they can find their torque wrench.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Suzuki dealer here in New Braunfels, TX (Cycle Country) would probably just kick the tires and charge $150. I would never bring my bike back to them.

-josh

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am DIY to the bone and have done all of my own initial services. IF you are mechanical, it is not terribly hard to do the service yourself. The one thing I skipped, which I kick myself for is checking the torque of the exhaust mounting bolts. Eventually, bolts fell out, bike backfired like hell and it was a chore to fix.

That said, you can spend your $75+ on the dealer or start buying tools to become self-sufficient. With self-sufficiency comes the abilities to save a ton of money, feel confident/accomplished AND/OR screw stuff up yourself. I screw up less than I fix right and will continue to do my own work.

Dealer would surely have the filter and washer you need, as would a place like CycleGear or most any local, motorcycle shop. If you've ever changed oil in a car, it is just like that, except you don't have to lay on your back and run oil down your arm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the oil filter part number is 16510-03G00-X07 for 05 model (maybe for 03-04 as well). the oil drain gasket is 09168-12002. most dealerships will give you the correct parts if you just tell them your bike's model & year. these part numbers may not be completely accurate as they get constantly changed or upgraded but the dealership's microfiche should have a history of a particular part's numbers for reference.
i'll suggest the same things as the others have - if you're even slightly mechanically inclined invest in a set of basic tools, including a torque wrench, & download the service manual & learn to do at least the basic stuff yourself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, I just called a dealership and they are charging close to $115 for the service, after reading all these posts maybe I should spend the $115 on tools and do it myself. I dont particularly trust dealers to check the bike either.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
if you change the oil and check some of the bolts that don't have loctite, then you'll have done all the dealer will do. all you need to change the oil is
a socket or wrench to take the drain plug out
a strap wrench to get the filter off
a disposable aluminum baking pan to drain the old oil into
a small funnel to pour the new oil into the engine through the filler hole

then if you want to check the bolts, you can buy a torque wrench from sears for about $30 that will do the job just fine. maybe spray a little cable lube in your cables. lastly, clean and lube your chain while your working on the bike, although you should be doing that all the time anyways.

·
Registered
49 Posts
+1 on drain gasket question, because I reused it and not sure if I'm suppose to change it as well. I wasn't willing to spend $279 on something I can do.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The HARDEST thing about the initial service is adjusting the chain. Good chance you'll need to do it. Its not real hard though.

G

·
theomen said:
+1. That's what I did. It didn't cost me that much. Also, they did all the checking for the first service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just took my SV in to the dealer where I bought it from for the 600 miles service (even tho' I had over 700 :p). They stuck me for $150. I'll be doing all the basic maintenance from now on. Bastards.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
ls14ever said:
The HARDEST thing about the initial service is adjusting the chain. Good chance you'll need to do it. Its not real hard though.
I have to disagree, the hardest thing is remembering and knowing everything that has to be done

·
Registered
398 Posts
Whats hard about that? They have a big chart that spells out everything. Unless you can't read or something.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
ls14ever said:
Whats hard about that? They have a big chart that spells out everything. Unless you can't read or something.
you right, it shouldn't be hard, but people still forget to lube their levers and clean linkages

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
JayVee said:
+1 on drain gasket question, because I reused it and not sure if I'm suppose to change it as well.  I wasn't willing to spend  $279 on something I can do.
i've never replaced the metal gasket/washer on the drain bolt. i've changed oil probably a dozen times and never had it leak a drop. i can't imagine a dealer changing that washer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks runsideways, by the way how do I adjust the chain? is that something that needs to be done at 600miles?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts