Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally hit the 600 mi mark on my 08 and have to take it in for the 1st service. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for , other then the usual, oil/filter change, clutch cable adjustment, chain tension....etc? Also anyone have an idea of how much the *********** soaks you for all of this. According to the dealership, the 600 mi has to be done by them to keep the warranty vaild.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
wrong answer!!
the 1st service is just an oil change w/filter and general inspection..

THEY cannot void the warranty 'cause you didn't have THEM do it!!
i keep the lid from the filter and note miles and date, that's all you need to do...

now is the time to put some Rotella synthetic in that puppy!!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
It does not have to be done by them for the warranty, you were lied to. The first service is:

Replace oil and filter
Inspect Idle
Inspect Throttle cable play
Inspect Chain (clean and adjust if necessary)
Inspect Brakes
Inspect Steering
Torque Exhaust and Chassis bolts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
wrong answer!!
the 1st service is just an oil change w/filter and general inspection..

THEY cannot void the warranty 'cause you didn't have THEM do it!!
i keep the lid from the filter and note miles and date, that's all you need to do...

now is the time to put some Rotella synthetic in that puppy!!
It's not "just an oil change." They do some safety checks and other adjustments because things tend to wear in and loosen up during the first 600 miles of operation.

If you're only changing the oil, you're doing it wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
It's not "just an oil change." They do quite some safety checks and other adjustments because things tend to wear in and loosen up during the first 600 miles of operation.

If you're only changing the oil, you're doing it wrong.
Ahh, see my post. That came directly from the manual...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
It does not have to be done by them for the warranty, you were lied to. The first service is:

Replace oil and filter
Inspect Idle
Inspect Throttle cable play
Inspect Chain (clean and adjust if necessary)
Inspect Brakes
Inspect Steering
Torque Exhaust and Chassis bolts
CA models also require TBS

several states other than California now require CA emmission spec, mostly in the Northeast

even if you don't have a CA model, it's wise to have TBS done

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll take it in and get the full service done, then at 1000-1200 mi, I'll make the swap to synthetic oil.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
According to the dealership, the 600 mi has to be done by them to keep the warranty vaild.

Yup...a lie for them to make money in the service department.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had the dealer do my 600 mile inspection and that was the last time I took my bike in for service. The service included Oil and filter change, inspect the following: Engine idle speed, throttle cable play, chin, brakes, steering, exhaust bolts and nuts and chassis bolts and nuts. This easy to do stuff came to $95.44. Doing the oil change your self will cost you around $20.00 Save your money and pick up the service manual and do what you can by your self.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the dealer do my 600 mile inspection and that was the last time I took my bike in for service. The service included Oil and filter change, inspect the following: Engine idle speed, throttle cable play, chin, brakes, steering, exhaust bolts and nuts and chassis bolts and nuts. This easy to do stuff came to $95.44. Doing the oil change your self will cost you around $20.00 Save your money and pick up the service manual and do what you can by your self.

I thought there was more involved then that. Valve tolerances is the first thing that came to mind, but hell, I checked the bolts and other items you listed one cold ass day I was bored and needed to hid from the wife and kids. 40 deg garage is a great place to hide in the wintertime!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I thought there was more involved then that.
Does anyone ever read my posts? I posted directly out of the manual what the first service entailed. Why do I even bother??

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
LOL thanks man :).

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
There is nothing wrong with doing your services yourself, just keep receipts for any parts/fluids you buy and keep a log of all work done including inspections. If you find something that needs to be done like a bolt out of spec, make a specific note of it. You do not want to need to bring your bike in for warranty work and have it turned down because there is no proof that the servicing was done.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone ever read my posts? I posted directly out of the manual what the first service entailed. Why do I even bother??

I read your post, and when I got home went to the manual and checked. Thanks!! Looks like I have a nice evening project since it's supposed to rain!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info. Did it myself in the garage last night. Only things that I found was the chain needed a little adjustment, the cluch cable need some play removed, and I found 1 fairing bracket bolt was loose. Other then that a quick oil change, and I'm good to go.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Did it myself in the garage last night. Only things that I found was the chain needed a little adjustment, the cluch cable need some play removed, and I found 1 fairing bracket bolt was loose. Other then that a quick oil change, and I'm good to go.

did you just fiddle with the cable, or did you check the clutch adjustment first

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just used the cable tension adjustment to get the slop out the lever. I fgured it was just some cable stretch, next oil change for me is going to be 1200 mi, when I get through the full breakin period and go to synthetic oil, I'll pull the cover and check the full adjustment, or if it gets sloppy again before 1200 mi, I'll look at it then. There wasn't a hole lot of slop, only 1 1/2 turn of the cable adjustment to get back to the recommend free play!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts