Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-[ I did the 520 conversion and went to a 14/47 (1 down on the front, 2 up on the back) and I just don't like it... I think it's a little too low for my liking... what options do I have to go back up? Say to a 15/47 (just two up on the rear)... do I have to fork out for a new chain or what??

Arggg this was not what I expected... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

·
Registered
104 Posts
14/47 is crazy! 1st and 2nd gear should be pretty much useless with that ratio.  Go for 15/47, front sprocket isn't that expensive and you don't have to buy a new chain.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still have the original front sprocket... and seeing as I only went down 1 tooth on the front I ought to be able to just put it back on right, atleast if I understand what you're saying?? ???

·
Registered
430 Posts
you can't use the original sprocket cause it is a 525 not a 520. you need to buy a new 520 15 tooth front. You should like that much more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
nicksvs said:
14/47 is crazy! 1st and 2nd gear should be pretty much useless with that ratio.  Go for 15/47, front sprocket isn't that expensive and you don't have to buy a new chain.
I've run 14/47, not too crazy at all. Takes some getting used to, now 14/50, which I have tried on another bike is pretty bad. Wheelied in 3rd on the gas.

·
Registered
229 Posts
punkjumper said:
you can't use the original sprocket cause it is a 525 not a 520.  you need to buy a new 520 15 tooth front.  You should like that much more.
Agreed!

I have 14-45 and really like it. 15/47 should be a good comprise.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
should have asked for some opinions on your gear ratios first ;) I would have told you that 14/47 was just too low probably

I had 14/44 on mine at one point and it was ok... made 6th gear more useful especially when I was carrying loads in my saddle bags but I decided to go to a 15/45 because I found myself looking for 7th gear a few too many times when running through the gears ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a new 15 tooth front sprocket and will put that on to leave me with a 15/47 combo and see how that goes... once I finally get this sorted I'm heading off to face the Dragon on my trusty stead...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am most pleased to report that having installed the 15 tooth front sprocket I've hit the spot right on... the bike handles excellently, prompting a 4 hour ride through the twisties on Sunday, and pulls solidly through out the gears, does not seem geared too low or too high...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts