Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to talk to the guys at the local bike shop about a new set of sprockets. Im thinking of going down one in the front. And he suggested doing a 520 chain conversion.
So my question... what are the benifits of it and are there any downsides??

thanx guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
\"gemonic\" said:
I just went to talk to the guys at the local bike shop about a new set of sprockets. Im thinking of going down one in the front. And he suggested doing a 520 chain conversion.
So my question... what are the benifits of it and are there any downsides??

thanx guys
For 650cc,, the main benefit of 520 is for wider sprocket selection.
Ask the guy at bike shop why he suggested changing -- besides selling more parts, of course....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hes not doing it to sell me more parts i dont think... coz i already told him i was buying a new chain before he suggested doing the 520.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re:

\"gemonic\" said:
hes not doing it to sell me more parts i dont think... coz i already told him i was buying a new chain before he suggested doing the 520.
That's why I said you should ask him to be more specific. Pick his brain.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
there is no advantage for switching to a 520 for the street. it is a thinner lighter chain, saves you a few ounces of rotating mass , and easier to find spares at the track when you need them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re:

\"RandyO\" said:
there is no advantage for switching to a 520 for the street. it is a thinner lighter chain, saves you a few ounces of rotating mass , and easier to find spares at the track when you need them.
ok thanks for the info.
Are there any dissadvantages to it though??????

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Even swap

The 520 is lighter (by a tiny amount, including sprockets). Even on track bikes, the weight difference is truly insignificant. And don't tell me about rotating mass and all that other stuff. Fractions of an ounce changes in polar moment of inertia are still fractions of an ounce.

It will be less durable than a 525 because it is narrower across the rollers (less load bearing area). Realistically, a good 520 chain is very close in durability to a 525. The average person would be hard-pressed to notice much of a life difference.

It is more common and easier to find the chain and sprockets.

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Wellllll...

I agree that it's not gonna make a HUGE difference, but an expert racer wiill probably be able to tell. Check out this article here: http://www.1888fastlap.com/racebike_secrets_revealed_______.htm They replaced the stock RC51 530 chain with a 520. Some of the 520 chains would outlast a 525, as they are stronger for racing. Going from a 530 to a 520 saved .9 lbs, so probably saves .45 lbs on an SV. You'd save a pound on sprockets. Thats 2 lbs of weight that's rotating that the bike doesn't have to push around to get the power Down. The bike will probably gain as much as 1 HP. Granted this will NEVER make a difference on the street, a fast expert can probably make a little use of that difference. Not only do you get another HP for top speed, but you get faster acceleration as there is less to push.

Another lil tidbit for racers: Drilling out the stock rotor on the SV can save more than a full pound. That's a pound of unsprung, rotating weight.

Sure, these mods by themselvles don't make a difference, but it all adds up. I know of a CCS SV racer who's Supersport Legal SV weighs 310 lbs with some fuel. (about 1-2 gallons) We're talking a wet weight (full tank) of 333 lbs at MOST! That's 95 lbs lighter than stock!

Granted he's done some pretty wacky stuff, but it was a hobby for him. My Race SV weighs 410 wet at most, about 18 lbs less than stock, and I hadn't done anything to save weight at that time other than removing the left side passenger peg bracket. The changes were: Fairing Stay, Bodywork, no lights or mirrors, CFM rearsets and clip-ons, and no stock gauges. I expect the bike to be 10 lbs lighter my next race weekend. (Pipe and hacking subframe and other parts) Also gonna be getting a lighter battery. And, most importantly, I'm taking the weight off of me. I'd gained 45 lbs in 4 years, so I was 5 10', 210 lbs. I'm gonna get back down to 170 or 165, which will also make a BIG difference in quickness of the SV on the track. (In the past 2-3 weeks, already down to 204)

OK, I'm rambling, But the point is, these weight savings for racers do add up. Doing just one or 2 things won't make much of a difference, especially on the street, I agree. Also, I see no real disadvantage to a 520 conversion.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nate- I've never weighed my 00' Naked SV track bike but was wondering if u could estimate based off my mods, wht my bike weighs:

-removed headlight, blinkers, gauge cluster, risers on triple clamp for Naken bars, remove battery, Radiator Fan, rearsets, clipons, chopped rear undertray/fender flush with rear bodywork (license cannot be attached, removed rear license plate light), removed left side passenger assembly, remove right side passenger peg, chopped bungee hooks and the rails that attach to Subframe, removed tool kit, Still have stock rear bodywork and both seats.

-Weight reduction for the future

install full Ti Hindle (removes rear pas
lightened/smaller rear tank mount brackets
remove ignition and replace with toggle switch

Any other cheap/free mods to lighten this puppy up?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the rear sprockets for 520 chain are aluminum (makes sense). My experience is that, as a rule, aluminum sprockets wear significantly more rapidly than steel.

Personally, I'd stick with 525 and steel for the street and save the 520 and aluminum for the track.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I have heard you "should" get better wear from the 525 vs. 520 but.. I have had both and got about the same mileage out of both (could be due to my chain care routine... who knows). Also, as explained... the 520 is not a major difference but... I could tell that bike felt a little snappier. But then again, I can also feel a difference in riding a 170 rear tire and 160 rear tire too while some don't notice any difference. I think if you are keen on your bike's performance... you can notice a slight difference in the 520 conversion being my point ;)

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Well, I'm dredging up this reeeeeaaallly old thread, because I bought a 520 kit for my bike. The weight difference is exactly 1.25 pounds of rotating, unsprung weight. That's not insignificant.

The weight of the 525 and 520 were based on stock (on the naked) 15/45 gearing and the same grade of DID chain.

My old 525 DID chain lasted 31,000 miles, thanks to a Scottoiler. The chain was still in good shape, but the front sprocket was toast. I tried using new sprockets on the old chain, but there was a slightly bothersome vibration that I didn't like, so I popped for the 520 kit from Sprocket Center. I opted for the upgrade DID 520VX3 Gold chain, since that's the brand I've ever run on all my bikes.

Maybe I'll be able to put enough miles on the SV to wear the 520 chain and sprockets out, and find out how the wear rates compare. When you think about the fact that a rear tire can cost as much as a chain and sprocket set, it's really not that big of a deal to try a 520 conversion.

·
Registered
152 Posts
FWIW I don't think this technically counts as a conversion anymore since Suzuki has spec'd a 520 chain for the Gen3 models from the factory.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
FWIW I don't think this technically counts as a conversion anymore since Suzuki has spec'd a 520 chain for the Gen3 models from the factory.
My bike's a K6, it came stock with a 525 chain. What gen 3 models have doesn't really change the meaning of conversion for earlier SVs, IMO.

YMMV

·
Registered
152 Posts
I get what you're saying, but the point I was making is that people talking about reduced life or durability shouldn't worry since the spec for the newer and more powerful engine has be updated to allow for the 520 chain.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I run 520 on my first and second gens, TL1000, SV1000, and RC51. DID chain, no worries. The RC and TL have a lot more torque than these bikes, with many problem free miles out of DID ERV3 chain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts