Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I climbed to the top of our (cellular company) tallest tower!;D
Thought it was quite an accomplishment IMO. Here's a picture I took with my cell phone from the top.

Here are some more pics from the tower.

[I love my job]

Please share any of your personal accomplishments large or small.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
500 feet, is that all!? :puke: ooops..
Thats cool. I used to change the beacons on several 300 foot tripod towers.
Thats when I worked for a certain radio station chain.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
500 feet, is that all!? :puke: ooops..
Thats cool. I used to change the beacons on several 300 foot tripod towers.
Thats when I worked for a certain radio station chain.
Today was very nice with no wind. I have been on towers with 60+mph gust...now that sucks! It's pretty peaceful being up there with the endless views.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The horizons at that altitude while standing on a beanstalk must be definitely mesmerizing.
You can probably hear your heart beat.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Cell phone pictures from the top of a cell phone tower... Irony? =P

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Those pictures scare me. I hate heights.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Cool man, I've climbed tower cranes at work that are ridiculously high

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I don't get to climb the towers. I just make the drawings and occasionally do site walks for all the cell companies. I love the shot's from the towers and would love to blimb them. Very nice indeedie.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I teach tower climbing, and rescues. Although the tower that we teach on is on 65 feet.

The highest that I have climbed was 625. Before we climbed, I had the following exchange with my boss....

Me...I think I have everything.
Boss....Take a lunch.
Me....Huh?
Boss....Take A Lunch.
Me....I don't get it.
Boss....TAKE A LUNCH!!

It's a long long long walk straight up. By the time we got to the top, I was hungry......and I brought a sandwich and something to drink. :)

I really hope that all those trucks are company trucks. And even if they are, I wouldn't park directly under a tower, that has people on it. :p

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Awesome pictures.

Too bad you didn't have a wide-angle. That would have made for an amazing picture.

My one major accomplishment, hiking the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I teach tower climbing, and rescues. Although the tower that we teach on is on 65 feet.

The highest that I have climbed was 625. Before we climbed, I had the following exchange with my boss....

Me...I think I have everything.
Boss....Take a lunch.
Me....Huh?
Boss....Take A Lunch.
Me....I don't get it.
Boss....TAKE A LUNCH!!

It's a long long long walk straight up. By the time we got to the top, I was hungry......and I brought a sandwich and something to drink. :)

I really hope that all those trucks are company trucks. And even if they are, I wouldn't park directly under a tower, that has people on it. :p
That's cool you got to climb that high. I've taken the safety class and love repelling, only repelled from 180ft. but it would be pretty nerve racking to repell from 500+ft. Yes those are all work trucks down there, we all have hard hats (only half the guys on the tower wear hard hats). Sometimes we use a truck to tag out the line or dog it off. I agree it's a bad idea to have all them at the base so close for the fall hazard.

That reminds me Mr. safety, I was doing a rescue one time and rigged the fisk wrong, the rope started to feed through too fast and both of us came down fast until the rope brake saved us 5" above the ground:eek: (I started at 30' and got about 15' of rope burn).

Awesome pictures.

Too bad you didn't have a wide-angle. That would have made for an amazing picture.

My one major accomplishment, hiking the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim.
We got some real pics I'll post when I can get them from my co-worker. The Grand Canyon hike should be a life time accomplishment everyone should try to attempt (much more likely than hiking Mt. Everest). I hiked Havasupai Falls (north rim of the Grand Canyon), I highly recommend this hike. Some people say it's more beautiful than Hawaii.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Oh hell no.

Homey don't do heights.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Now this I'd like to goto the top of!! The highest man made tower in the world!!!

Burj Tower in Dubai!!! Over 1/2 mile in the sky!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
That's cool you got to climb that high. I've taken the safety class and love repelling, only repelled from 180ft. but it would be pretty nerve racking to repell from 500+ft. Yes those are all work trucks down there, we all have hard hats (only half the guys on the tower wear hard hats). Sometimes we use a truck to tag out the line or dog it off. I agree it's a bad idea to have all them at the base so close for the fall hazard.

That reminds me Mr. safety, I was doing a rescue one time and rigged the fisk wrong, the rope started to feed through too fast and both of us came down fast until the rope brake saved us 5" above the ground:eek: (I started at 30' and got about 15' of rope burn).
That's a big fault with the fisk. You have to rig it properly, and if you let go, you keep going. I'm a big, big fan of the ID. http://en.petzl.com/petzl/ProProduits?Produit=205
It's dammn near fool proof. If you go too fast, you stop. If you let go, you stop. If you feed the rope through it backwards, you will never be able to start. Yup, dammn near fool proof.

The red one is for rescue, you can put two people on it, if necessary.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts