Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got an amazing deal on my 2002 SV650s. It's been maintained meticulously for it's 11,000 miles, and it's completely stock. I bought it for $2,500 with helm and gloves. The only thing is that it was layed down at low speeds on both sides. most of the body work is fine, but it's got some scratches on on the front fairing/headlight assembly. I was wanting to repaint the whole bike, but I don't know how much these things cost. I'm 19, so I don't have too much money to throw at my new baby. Here is the question: how much does a good paint job usually cost, and what color would you paint a first gen 650s.

Additional conversation: What mods would you make to this bike if you had only $500 to throw at it. Anything, I'm up for ideas.

Below are some pictures to give you an idea what I'm working with

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
umm, tires, chain, let the cosmetics go for a bit, if this is your 1st bike, well, just hold off, ride it!! it not, still, what's to lose, how's your gear??

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
If the scratches REALLY bother you then paint it. But, bikes get scratched, chances are it will get more anyway.

I'm with Maviryk except I'd do tires, front oil/springs then rear shock. Rearsets next then exhaust.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
If the scratches REALLY bother you then paint it. But, bikes get scratched, chances are it will get more anyway.

I'm with Maviryk except I'd do tires, front oil/springs then rear shock. Rearsets next then exhaust.
+1 to this post.

Except... if you are using a USED helmet, I'd go spend money on a brand new helmet for you that fits. Helmets are important and they deteriorate with age. Not to mention you don't know if it was ever dropped necessarily, plus other people's helmet funk. :p Boots too.

Gear upgrades before bike upgrades.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I agree with gear first, but if you simply must upgrade.

Springs/oil for your forks
Tires
Stainless steel front brake lines
frame sliders
Basic maintenance like oil change and brake fluid flush.

·
Registered
102 Posts
frame sliders and flush mount lights so your posts dont crack your plastics if you go down again. maybee a TRE and tps adjustment, that said i dont have or havent done yet (but will). im not sure if your a newbee rider like me but i have startled myself a couple times accidently blipping the throttle in 1st and 2nd gear and that mod and adjustment are almost free.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Cams and exhaust and rejet/air filter desnorkel for modification. (cheapie muffler)

I believe you should think more "maintenance" than "modify" withyour $500.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
1) Better helmet (judging from the pictures, that's an HJC CL-14 Barbwire. My first helmet was a CL-14 and I hated it...there's much better out there).
2) Frame sliders
3) Maintenance - check/clean the carbs, check valves, check/replace chain and sprockets, check/replace tires, change oil and filter, replace air filter, etc etc.

·
Registered
308 Posts
if your tires are fine, spend 100 on fork springs and oil, $50 on a used zx10 shock, and save the rest for beer money. and get some sliders if you dont have em already.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts