Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the SV forum, but not new to SV's or motorcycles.

I've been roadracing on and off since 1994. Mostly lightweight bikes but some forays in the past with a mid 90's ZX-7R and a 2005 ZX6R.

In the last 12 years I have done a bunch of endurance racing with an old SVriders forum member, Tgold. Started with him on an SV650 and then he had a 300 ninja for a couple years. I turned 50 this year and my wife bought the current endurance bike from Tgold for my birthday. Now I'm a team owner (50/50 racing) and we just finished the endurance series with Lean Track days at Nelson Ledges in Ohio. My main(only?) sponsor is Moto-Z in Elma, NY. If you are in the WNY area and you haven't been to Jeff's shop you need to check it out. Great guy and he just got his race license last year so he could be on our endurance team.

The endurance bike is a stock engined 2000 SV650 with penske shock and GSXR600 front end. It also has a 6.5 gallon capacity fuel tank with a dry brake filler. We aren't the fastest bike in the class, but consistent laptimes, good strategy and fast pit stops netted us the championship this year. It came down to the very last lap and the difference was 8 seconds. This winter we will be doing the intake cam swap and adding 2mm over pistons, lightened stator and starter clutch, replace head bolts with studs, etc...

My other project has been not quite as successful so far. One of my friends commisioned Ben Probst to build him the ultimate SV engined road racer. It's a custom tube frame with adjustable steering head and adjustable swing arm pivots and a bulit SV650 engine. The front end is from a CBR1000R, with Yamaha monoblock brake calipers. The rear end is a SV swingarm with a Penske Shock, Marchesini rims and a carbon fiber fuel tank. Bike weighs 298 lbs with half tank of fuel.

Anyways, when my friend finally got delivery of the bike 2 years later than promised, there were quite a few things not finished on it. The engine, although the parts list is impressive, (Carillo rods, JP pistons, ported and polished heads, total loss, etc.) was apparently put together in a hurry and we are still working through a bunch of issues with it. My friend got so frustrated with the project he sold me the bike (actually my wife negotiated the deal and bought it for me!) and now it's on me to finish sorting everything on it. Once it's put together correctly it's going to be a kick-ass ride. The bike came with all the pieces for a custom ram air setup, but I'm just wanting to get the bike running and ride it for awhile before I mess with that.

Endurance bike:

Sprint bike:

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Cool story! I like hearing things like that. Thanks for sharing. I'm a current endurance racer (Yamaha R3) with several years of SV650 endurance racing; we've had several races that were the difference of seconds, which is amazing after 6-8 hours.

That sprint bike sounds amazing, but the picture makes it look... droopy. Something with the lens? Tail appears bent down and main fairing looks like it's falling off

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool story! I like hearing things like that. Thanks for sharing.

That sprint bike sounds amazing, but the picture makes it look... droopy. Something with the lens? Tail appears bent down and main fairing looks like it's falling off
You are not totally wrong. Since the pic was taken the front fairing has been raised about an 1.5 inches at the front. The tail does look that way but the seat pad itself is level and comfortable for my 6'3" 230lb frame. The bike is small and so that make the fairing look a little big and maybe a tad out of proportion. Though your observations are correct in person it doesn't look bad.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Look forward to seeing the bike come together and hearing more regarding its endurance results .
And, what a awesome, wonderful wife you have there Endurance Todd!
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Cool story! I like hearing things like that. Thanks for sharing. I'm a current endurance racer (Yamaha R3) with several years of SV650 endurance racing; we've had several races that were the difference of seconds, which is amazing after 6-8 hours.

That's a TZ250 tail and that's just what they look like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tgold and I got started on the endurance bike engine rebuild last weekend. Got the stator and starter clutch hub off to send to Spears. This weekend we will be tearing down the motor to send the cylinders out for boring. I already have the piston kit and cams for the intake on the exhaust cam swap. The shop just placed the order with Spears for everything else. Hoping to have the endurance engine built and back in the bike with pleny of time to spare before next season starts. I would also like to get the bike on a dyno after the rebuild and get the carb jetting dialed in. We think it was running a tad rich last year, but of course it will all be different with the rebuild anyways.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Build update:

Got the cylinders back from boring and installed new pistons and installed stud kit and spears lightened charge rotor and starter clutch. Every is torqued down to spec. Degreeing the cams is up next. I have 2nd gen intakes to use all around with adjustable cam sprockets. Still trying to figue out what lobe center numbers I want to use. Thinking of starting with 108/108. This should keep the bottom and midrange strong and the higher exahust lobe center number should hopefully provide some piston/valve clearance for the much higher lift on the exhaust side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

Degreed the intake cams in yesterday. Took a while to come up with a good way to mount the dial indicator. TGold showed up and helped make a bracket we bolted to one of the intake boot mounting holes. Took my time getting the intakes right, then had to figure out a way to mount the braket for the exhaust side. Ended up using a longer bolt and some spacers to mount the dial indicator off one the cam cap bolts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts