Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of these for my bike and my gf's:

Click pic for product page.

It seemed like such a good idea - it's got a clock and voltmeter (I don't think I'll ever trust my charging system 100% again after all the grief it's caused me), it's lighted, and it takes power from the bike so there are no batteries to change. Nice. Looks OK and fits on the top triple clamp of my SV. It's also got some stupid features that either don't work well or that you're realistically not likely to use - stopwatch, lap timer, indoor/outdoor thermometer, etc.

I installed it and rode around with it for a few days relatively happy with it. It looks OK, and worked as advertised. Until some hard wind/rain and a bit of cold weather. Sucker's been outdoors on my bike for a week and a half and it's junk. I went out to the bike to ride it for the first time in almost a week, and saw water in the display. Turned the bike on and only the bottom half of the display showed anything, and it was very dim. Rode for 10 mins and it just gave up altogether.

GARBAGE!

I know that at least a couple of folks on here have used this thing and I haven't seen complaints, but from my experience I've gotta say buyer beware. It's just not weatherproof.

If anyone knows of something similar that actually works, I'd appreciate the pointer.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
bummer Phil...that really bites.
Any chance it can be returned, maybe it's just a faulty one?

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, it's too late now, but with a bit more poking around I found a review that explains that this thing is well-known to not be even slightly waterproof. And yet CA Sport Touring sells it as if it's suitable for motorcycle use. Here's the reviewer's innovative and attractive solution:

Stick it in a plastic bag

Classy. :)

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
I've got the Kyrukan (sp?) voltmeter to put on tomorrow while it is snowin'. Guess I'll put it on the dash for less exposure. I almost bought that exact model but knew it was too big for the dash on the S.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the Kyrukan (sp?) voltmeter to put on tomorrow while it is snowin'. Guess I'll put it on the dash for less exposure. I almost bought that exact model but knew it was too big for the dash on the S.
Post some pics (and maybe the right name and/or a source for the product) when you're done! :)

It looks like I'll be going back to my original plan to go with the stock Suzuki clock from a Katana.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
I will. It's gonna be snowing tomorrow so I will have time to get this on and the gps hard wires.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got the same one, but mounted just above the speedo. No problems in the 6 months I've had it & with it having been rode in all weather..

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I've got the same one, but mounted just above the speedo. No problems in the 6 months I've had it & with it having been rode in all weather..

NO problems? I can see the voltage in the pic, 11.9, you have a dead battery, yes? no? voltage meters should be more accurate than that

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the single LED 'heads up' voltage monitor shown on this page: http://www.customdynamics.com/LED_battery_gauge.htm
Very cool - I just placed my order for 2. :) It should look exactly right in my little custom dash with LED indicators.

THANKS!

For a clock, I really want something back-lit and driven off the bike's battery, but apparently that's very difficult to find. :( I'm considering one of these:

Formotion clocks

But apparently they become inaccurate or may even stop in near-freezing temps. Also, there are no nighttime pics of the black-faced clock so I'd be going on faith as to the night readability. The factory Suzuki clock from the Katana is really expensive (like $150), maybe I can score a used one somewhere.

·
Registered
109 Posts
NO problems? I can see the voltage in the pic, 11.9, you have a dead battery, yes? no? voltage meters should be more accurate than that
Nah...I'd tested the heated grips that I had just put on without starting the bike before that picture.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine wired directly to my battery (through a fuse, of course), reads the same (to 0.1V) as my digital multimeter. I don't doubt its accuracy.

Maybe twizted1 has his wired to a non-optimal unswitched source that drops a bit with the ignition on but the bike not running. twizted1, it appears that you have yours mounted up under a windshield that will keep it from getting the brunt of rain. I'm glad it's working for you.

And yes, props to Aerostich for not censoring the reviews, but shame on them for even carrying this product for motorcycle use. I wrote to CA Sport Touring to say I think they should be ashamed of themselves for passing this off as appropriate for bike use. To install it on my bike, I removed a watch I had installed onto my dash, and relocated my Pro Oiler unit to make room on the top triple clamp. Of course there was also the running of the wires, tucking stuff into the loom, and the other elements of doing a nice tidy install. The time and frustration are much bigger issues for me than the money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts