Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how long my planned ride this summer is. My SV is stock...and the seat is fairly uncomfortable. What would make my bike better for touring?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
change your underwear

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Spencer's seat mod (www.greatdaytoride.com)
Rearset drop plates or Buell pegs if your legs get cramped.
Those are just things I've done though, preferences will vary. What normally bothers you on a long ride?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Underwear is usually one. The seat is another. And if I have to wear a backpack...my back will hurt pretty bad.

So, my guess is I need saddle bags? Buy another seat and underwear? lol

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
At least get a tail bag. You won't want that back pack hanging on you for 4K miles. I rode my low stock seat for 3500 miles last summer, it can be done. I do have the LDComforts that RandyO recommended too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least get a tail bag. You won't want that back pack hanging on you for 4K miles. I rode my low stock seat for 3500 miles last summer, it can be done. I do have the LDComforts that RandyO recommended too.
What tail bag do you recommend? Do you have those LDC comforts?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
A tank bag for all your 'need to get to quick' items.

+1 on the LDComfort. The SO and I find them pretty comfortable

The back pack really has to go in place of tail and/or soft saddle bags. Do a search on SVR. There are pictures and comments on many various setups in this touring/trips topic area.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
What tail bag do you recommend? Do you have those LDC comforts?
I have 2 pair, wear one, wash one. I'm going to order myself a couple more pair this year too. I use the Cortech set of saddlebags and tailbag. You'll have to pack wisely, but you'll be able to take all you need. Just remember there are stores most of the places you are going.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I find that if I'm on good twisty roads, I move around so much on the bike that I don't get stiff. Slogging out highway miles means making a point of moving weight forward, back, sitting up, laying down etc... I don't mind the stock seat until about the 8-10 hour mark.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A tank bag for all your 'need to get to quick' items.

+1 on the LDComfort. The SO and I find them pretty comfortable

The back pack really has to go in place of tail and/or soft saddle bags. Do a search on SVR. There are pictures and comments on many various setups in this touring/trips topic area.
I find tank bags really annoying...maybe its just me though.

I'm definitely gonna search for the saddle bags/tail bag.

I have 2 pair, wear one, wash one. I'm going to order myself a couple more pair this year too. I use the Cortech set of saddlebags and tailbag. You'll have to pack wisely, but you'll be able to take all you need. Just remember there are stores most of the places you are going.
How do you like your Cortech saddle bags and tail bag?

8-10 hour mark
Holy crap! Don't have much of a butt though. I wish I had a big butt:p

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I don't like tank bags much, either. I wouldn't use one at all with the stock clipons. Since I got convertibars, I can tolerate a small one. I have the Cortech Super Mini tank bag...it's pretty nice, and fits the SV's lines well. Doesn't hold a whole lot, but it's handy for keeping little stuff in.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I'm definitely gonna search for the saddle bags/tail bag.

How do you like your Cortech saddle bags and tail bag?
They do their job. They really don't hold a lot, maybe 2 changes of clothes each side. Thats where you need to look for light weight clothes, like microfiber or be prepared to wash clothes often. Or you could just stink. ;)

Between the saddlebags and tailbag I was able to take all I needed for the 2 week trip so they did what I needed them to do. Plus they weren't too expensive.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Padded bicycle shorts FTW, they help circulation and the padding does what you expect padding to do. Also keeps the frank and beans in the proper location.
Some folks here swear by Gold Bond powder.
Backpacks are a strain on the back over long miles.
I like tankbags because I like maps. However, I'm also 6-1 and have plenty of reach to the bars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts