Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out on Friday morning. I left my house in Long Island, NY and traveled 225 miles North to Lake George, NY. I have an 03 SV1KS with 2 convenience mods, a phone mount and a hard wired phone charger. This gave me my GPS and music on Pandora for the ride. On Thursday night, I pulled the seat and shaved down the foam on some of the pressure points I have noticed on my previous rides. At about 20 miles into the trip, I realized that the seat shaving was a complete failure and this was now worse then stock. :facepalm:

I toughed it out and after the first 100 miles, my cheeks were numb to the pain. On Sunday morning, I made my 185 mile ride back down to Rockland county to spend fathers day with the man who hates my bike more than anyone in my life...and needless to say, he wasn't happy when i rolled into the driveway on it.

Monday morning was my 60 mile ride into work and now this afternoon will be my final 30 miles home.

The long rides are not bad on the S, the windscreen does direct the stream of air directly into your face when in a tuck. This does create additional wind noise, but with a good set of ear buds in, its not that bad. My knees did get a little cramped after 150 miles but i had to refuel at that point any way so i was able to stretch out. I will be ordering a Sargent seat today, my failed seat mod was absolutely miserable. I would like to get some bar risers in the future, but the stock position was horrible. I have found a way to almost lay on the tank and its comfortable when you get used to it.

Lake George:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have an 03 SV650 and I had the seat customized by Spencer (greatdaytoride.com). Worth every penny! I put in several long days (6-8 hours at a time) and it is comfy :)

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Before you spend a fortune on a sargent, try this website www.greatdaytoride.com

You send him the stock seat, and he raplaces the foam with a honey comb structure gel, that greatly increases the comfort. a lot of people here have it (not myself) and I heard that it's really good. For I think 80 bucks he can do bot front and passenger seat.

*edit* April beat me to it :p

·
Registered
661 Posts
Either replacing the seat with a Corbin or Sargent or having it modified does wonders on the stock SV seat. Add some helibars or other adjustable clipons and you have a quite comfortable and capable distance machine. I've done 9+ hours in the saddle this way and could have done more if needed.

Dang, I really miss my SV now...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I don't mind the stock seat, but I did buy an SV gel seat which im dying to try on. I tried it in winter and the gel never got soft (too cold) so I was 1" higher than im supposed to be. But it's warm out now, might as well install it.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I don't mind the stock seat, but I did buy an SV gel seat which im dying to try on. I tried it in winter and the gel never got soft (too cold) so I was 1" higher than im supposed to be. But it's warm out now, might as well install it.
I had one of those for a while and went back to the stock seat. My experience was it stayed solid in the winter and in the summer felt like it was 200F if I parked the bike in the sun for more than a half hour on a hot day.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I'm running a Gel now, and had to cut some of the foam from underneath the pad to make it feel right. As stock, it was kind of round....like sitting on a barrel. And way high. This made the knees feel better, but I like being down in the bike more when in the twisties. The modded seat is better than the stock plank...but has me thinking about aftermarket, just don't know if they'd be enough better to justify the cost. Have done 270miles straight and could still walk afterwards...so the modded Gel seat works OK for now I guess.:)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Curious: how old are you, and how tall are you? Sounds to me like you're having way more comfort issues than I had on my SV with GSXR clipons and BRG rearsets (half an inch higher than stock S). I did a couple 300+mi days soon after I picked it up, comfortably enough. I'm 6'2" too, 22 when I got the SV.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just gave the site a look around. Looks good, definitely seems like a better option than a corbin/sargeant based on price and material. I'll give him a try when I get some cash for my seat and the passenger for the lady. For those that have already sent and received. Did anyone shorten the seat height? If so, hows a long term review and picture? :) Don't mean to thread jack so PM me if its not too much to ask.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Curious: how old are you, and how tall are you? Sounds to me like you're having way more comfort issues than I had on my SV with GSXR clipons and BRG rearsets (half an inch higher than stock S). I did a couple 300+mi days soon after I picked it up, comfortably enough. I'm 6'2" too, 22 when I got the SV.
Im 27 and 5'6". It wasnt too bad stock, but got really bad after my botched seat mod attempt.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've done about 280 miles in one day on the SV1K with breaks in between and the only thing I had to complain about was my butt was a bit numb. I've never sat on a supersport so I'm not sure if the SVs are worse or better for ergos but I look forward to putting on some higher mileage trips soon. Risers would be nice but I can't afford them at the moment so I'll have to do without.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts