1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
just following in Muhammads footsteps.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
If this is their custom who are we so say anything about it. Beside 60 to 300 year ago, girls right here in the US were getting married at 14, 15 and 16.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
you don't have to go to Saudi Arabia for stories like this, just head to Utah, Idaho, or a few other states and find some fundamentalist Mormons.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
you don't have to go to Saudi Arabia for stories like this, just head to Utah, Idaho, or a few other states and find some fundamentalist Mormons.
Yeah them too. Also India and part of SE Asia too were arranged marriages still go on as common practice.

·
Registered
683 Posts
the moral equivocation is strong in this thread

·
Registered
683 Posts
good people, bad politics.

but as long as the beers are flowin and the fire's high politics is a back burner issue, eh?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
If this is their custom who are we so say anything about it. Beside 60 to 300 year ago, girls right here in the US were getting married at 14, 15 and 16.
Starting to reproduce at 15 makes sense when the odds of you living past 30 or 40 are not so hot. And since you'll need to have several kids to make sure that one or two live long enough to reproduce themselves, starting young has its benefits.

But reproduction doesn't happen at 8. So either there's some legal manuevering going on that we're unaware of or the guy is just plain sick.
Personally I'd be skeptical about jumping to the conclusion that "marriage" as we define it is what's going on between them.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
good people, bad politics.

but as long as the beers are flowin and the fire's high politics is a back burner issue, eh?
The Middle East should be Americanized and all Arabs should be killed...better?
:rolleyes:

It is disgusting, but like I pointed out, it goes on "here" as well...not a political issue.

·
Registered
683 Posts
there is no marriage to 8 year olds in the United States. None. Zero. To claim so is a lie. The reasoning or justification for the lie are immaterial. I can do some more digging but as I recall the youngest a person in the US can be married is 14, with parental consent and I believe that's in Texas. Which I also find reprehensible. That isn't the point. The point is that their "culture" is barbaric at best and cro magnon in reality. The fact that they speak in anything higher than guttural grunts and by pissing on bushes is a shock.

Frankly, since you brought up the point, I don't care whether they are Americanized or if they live or die. If they can be civilized and have Crazy Ali's discount flying carpets and McArafats with goat cheese then more power to 'em. My primary concern is that they cease supporting radical fundamentalist murderers either actively or tacitly through silence. So long as they cease trying to wage war on non-muslims the globe over, so be it. If stopping their reprehensible jihad requires that 500,000,000 of them are bombed into flaming cinders with white phosphorous well then that's fine too. They get to pick.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
The youngest legally allowable marriage in the US is probably around 14, it's not something I'm going to Google at work, but you're kidding yourself if you think that is the youngest anyone has been married at. Warren Jeffs (leader of a fundamentalist Mormon sect) is awaiting trial for for (among other things) performing marriages to girls as young as 12 and there have been complaints that some girls were even younger...that may not be 8 but they are both children and either is reprehensible. There are many others like him in his branch of Mormonism and other fundamentalist religious sects here in the US.

As far as you views on the middle east, I'm not going to bother even getting into it with you, this is my last post on it. You have shown your predjudice against anyone from that area in many threads and have even gone so far as to applaud the murder of innocent women and children over there. I agree with you that those funding terrorists as well as acting as terrorists need to be stopped, I just can't imagine anyone calling for genocide to be in their right mind.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The difference is legality. I remember warren Jeffs, he's another religious nutbag. But he's being prosecuted for his actions. Therein lies the crux, no? One society deems it both morally and legally reprehensible and the other deems it acceptable in all terms. If you can't see a failing in that viewpoint then sir your sense of right and wrong is 100% broken.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I'm outraged!! This is disgusting! I can't let this go, I have to show my utter outrage and shock at this barbaric act and march down to city hall to start planning protests.

Actually no, I think i'll just sit here, shut the f--k up and mind my own business. Because really, it is none of my f-ing business what the laws and human rights in Saudi Arabia are.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Still nowhere as disturbing as "Two Girls: One Cip"

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
8 yrs young?
That's just a baby.
I personally think it is wrong.

But then its the middle east where order is not practiced.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts