Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just joined the SV family with a 2018 SV650, it will be my first street bike after years of riding a dirt bike! I am loving it so far, having a blast every time I take it out. Just 2 weeks after the purchase, I'm already itching to do some mods. Mainly, first up I want to replace the headlight with an LED assembly. Has anyone had any good luck changing the whole assembly out? I know they have the cheap lights from China like the Sktyants 7", are these type of lights worth it? I love the look of some of these but I also want functionality. I am also not really trying to pay $500 for the JW Speaker adaptive LED. Thank you for your help!

I love the look of this light, anyone know where to get something like this and if so is it plug and play?
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Here's a bonus pic of my bike!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
457 Posts
Check out Ledperf.

I Installed one on my 2017 SV.

·
Registered
457 Posts
How's the beam pattern and brightness on it? I hear some of the aftermarket LEDs have a beam pattern that blind other drivers and is scattered.
Here I posted a few pics to compare the OEM lights with the LEdperf Type 2 I installed on my SV.
Provided the beam is oriented according to (local) street laws there is no chance to blind incoming drivers, and the pattern is very solid, not scattered.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
How's the beam pattern and brightness on it? I hear some of the aftermarket LEDs have a beam pattern that blind other drivers and is scattered.
Consider that motorcycles lean when they turn and that having a sharp cutoff is desirable on a car where you don't lean to turn, but I'll tell you from experience that tipping into a corner and suddenly riding into darkness is not fun.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi.
Different scene, but I know that Jeep headlights are soooper crappy, so lots of folks end up replacing them with chinesium "upgrades" to "save money". Every single person i know who initially went with the cheaper lights eventually ended up with Speakers or K.C. Highlighter. (Or they sold the Jeep...hehe) I went with Speaker right from the start and it was worth the "extra" money.

On my sv, I opted for a pair of driving lights instead of headlight replacement. One wide spread, one not. Rolled the dice with www.superbrightleds.com and am happy. They actually are...superbright. They don't sell the lights i bought anymore, but I would buy from them again if I needed to.

Golden Chicken pretty much nailed it: you do get what you pay for, and skimping on your light (vision) is probably not the best move. I lucked out going the superbright route. Last thing: it's not all about the light itself, the harness and proper wiring matter. Supposedly the sv 3rd gen wiring on the headlight is not awesome, so replacing the harness with something a bit more robust isn't a bad idea. I would definitely scour the sub to see what others have managed.

Let us know what you end up with.

Cheers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Back when I had the SV, I used to pay attention to intensity AND correct beam pattern. I initially purchased the Morimoto Sealed 7 1.0 which was at end of life at 75$, it had good beam pattern but medium intensity. So, went all-in with Morimoto Super7, with the mled projector. The single headlight was priced at 250$, plus a fortune for customs clearance,but worth every penny, so kept it when I switched to the CB650R.
Keep in mind that it is 100% “form follows function” style, so not at everyones taste and both need adapter rings:

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back when I had the SV, I used to pay attention to intensity AND correct beam pattern. I initially purchased the Morimoto Sealed 7 1.0 which was at end of life at 75$, it had good beam pattern but medium intensity. So, went all-in with Morimoto Super7, with the mled projector. The single headlight was priced at 250$, plus a fortune for customs clearance,but worth every penny, so kept it when I switched to the CB650R.
Keep in mind that it is 100% “form follows function” style, so not at everyones taste and both need adapter rings:

View attachment 59402
View attachment 59403
Where did you end up getting a single Super7? I can only find them online in pairs. I do like the look of them and heard they were super bright. I may go that route if I can find a place that sells one headlight instead of 2

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased it from TheRetrofitSource, about a year ago. Back then it was listed as single unit as well, but I think that you can contact them now to provide a quote for one. Keep in mind that the latest version uses the MLED 2.0 projector, which is (as per the reviews) far superior and comes pre-assembled.

For adapter ring, I used this:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purchased it from TheRetrofitSource, about a year ago. Back then it was listed as single unit as well, but I think that you can contact them now to provide a quote for one. Keep in mind that the latest version uses the MLED 2.0 projector, which is (as per the reviews) far superior and comes pre-assembled.

For adapter ring, I used this:

Awesome thank you for the info! I just got a quote from them for $275 for one, not too bad for one of the brightest headlights, especially since I will be doing a lot of night driving. Did you need an H4 input adapter to connect to the SV? Or was it pretty much plug and play other than the adapter ring?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, the H4 adapter is listed as an option of ~17$, so about 8,5$ for one adapter (I paid $7,5 last year).
If you get the ring, it is plug and play, unfortunately I only got it when I was about to install it to the CB. Just find a smart location for the led controller unit, it will probably not fit in the bucket

1 - 12 of 12 Posts