1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Greetings Program
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got one at home?

Who has access?

What make/model/mods?

Seriously considering the Geeetech Prusa I3 X, as I can get it for less than $300 (some assembly required)... and there are already things on thingiverse to make it better faster stronger than from the factory... (improved heating/cooling and brackets for smoother prints.)

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I have one that I bought from my cousin. An XYZ something. He ended up reflashing the firmware on it and I've tried a few times to work with it and it's just crap. I should have known better than to get it after someone's hacked it and knew what they were doing. I haven't had time to mess with it but the plan is to flash it back to stock and start from scratch but I just don't have time to learn another hobby at the moment.
We have a few here at work but my department doesn't really do much with them.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I did a little research on them a couple of months ago, it seemed like the sweet spot for a cheap yet useful one was about $8-900. The $300 ones were widely considered to be junk.

·
Greetings Program
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a little research on them a couple of months ago, it seemed like the sweet spot for a cheap yet useful one was about $8-900. The $300 ones were widely considered to be junk.
The one I mentioned is known to have a few issues, but that these are also easy to remedy - some mods are "print your own" extras from thingiverse, and some are simply replacing existing components with better materials (chrome guide rods instead of the provided stainless.)

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
I had one at my previous school that was circa 2007. Originally cost 15 grand and each print ran 300-500$ each. Be sure to check the print costs as well as the unit costs.

That being said, I wish I still had access to it. Was able to print some pretty cool things.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
re: print costs

One of the things people immediately do with the XYZ printers is to flash new firmware to remove the necessary proprietary spools for your fill material, allowing you to use a larger variety of filler options/colors/mfg's.

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
/\
"But boss! I totally need to print out dildos! Its for the free advertising program!!!"

Meanwhile Dave's Etsy page just got a lot more profitable...

·
MOTORADOR
10,825 Posts
After working and saving for a year, my 10yo kid just got one. Still wondering what cool things to do with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Creality Ender 3. $189 printer, I do PLA PETG, TPU (flexible) with it, works as good as a lot of printers that are 3 times the price. I mostly print stuff for my FPV drones, but have done bike parts, tools, dodads and fun stuff to give people. The big thing with 3D printing is learning your slicer program (I use Simplify 3D). Get the model set up and sliced right, you can do some amazing things on a cheap printer.. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can pick up an Ender 3. I have one and it can make amazing looking stuff. If money allows for it and you have a good use case for a quality 3D printer, buy an actually capable machine like a Prusa or better.
onplanners

1 - 14 of 14 Posts