Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone. New here, perhaps I'll be a regular, but that's yet to be seen. I posted this same question on sport-touring.net, but I'm sure you guys will be more likely to have a good answer for me, so here goes!

*background info, don't like reading, skip to the question below*

Well, the more I ride, the more I start to think about how I want to ride. The bandit is an awesome all purpose bike, it lets me do a lot of things: riding two up - sport touring - moto camping - commuting - lively blasts through the back roads - and although I haven't done it yet, I bet it will be ok when I take it to the track this summer.

But that's my issue, now I'm thinking about how each of these different types of riding relates to my bike and how much of each I actually do, or plan to do. I LOVE the two up multi-day trips I've taken on the Bandit. Hell, I started a blog about them. But in reality that's probably only about 15% of my riding. I do a lot more commmuting and spirited back roads rides overall, and I'm really thinking of getting into regular track riding (by regular I mean two or three times a year).

So now the 03+ SV's have caught my eye. This bike weighs much less than the bandit, gets better gas mileage, looks better, and is a bit sportier. But my main concern and my biggest question probably lies in its capacity to ride two up or loaded up. I've got two JC whitney side cases on the bandit, and packed to the max they come in at about 50lbs together, with probably another 5 for the racks. add 200 for me and 150 for the passenger, that's almost 900lbs I'm moving along on those beloved multi day trips.

*Actual question*

Would the sv650 be up to moving that much weight(Rider, passenger, 50-70 lbs of luggage)? Is the frame strong enough? There's no way I can afford or store two bikes, so that just isn't an option. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
881 Posts
the frame can handle the weight.

the rear suspension on the other hand may not..

also the front end of the bike gets really light going up the smallest of hills with that much weight. .

one way to over come this would be. to lower the position of the triple tree on the forks. by about an inch to an inch and a half.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I ride all day long with my g/f on the back...I am 5'11" and about 200 she is the same height and 140...the SV has no trouble handling our weight.

Several 300+ mile day trips two up. Tons of fun.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Just dont go over the GVWR...
There is a sticker on there somewhere that denotes how much you can safely load the bike with.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Um, I weigh 195 6'3 She weighs 120 and is 5'4 we both have full gear in central VA.

We have done numerous 200 plus afternoon rides on the Blue Ridge parkway.

I have dragged pegs 3 times with her, and usually get 5-6K on my 2CT's.

We ride a lot, My bike last year was as follows, GSXR front .95KG Rear zx10 shock, HH pads SS lines, and an f4 Master.

The SV is great though I am looking into a 14 tooth front with my F3 WHeel, for more torque as I am ringing the bikes neck constantly to keep speed up in the mountain.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I think the bandit would be better for long distance, 2 up, and commuting.

the SV would be better for the track.

Each bike is capable for doing the things you seek. But for less than 3 track days a year, the bandit is probably a better steed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Solo, loaded up, not a problem.

I have done a couple long trips with at least 30kg of cargo, and i weigh about 70kg.

I would think the bandit is more comfortable for your passenger.

I would really like for my g/f to join me on some weekend bike trips, and am thinking of getting a slightly bigger bike that would be more comfortable for her. (got my eye on a moto guzzi :D )

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
2003 with a GSX-R rear shock and Racetech springs and emu's up front. No problemo hauling my 125# wife, my 200# carcass and boxes with gear. Bike has plenty of power and still does reasonably well on fuel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the reassuring replies. I've ridden two up on a grossly underpowered bike before, and honestly it wasn't that bad. Considering how small a % 2up riding actually makes up of my entire time riding, that trade off seems pretty decent.

I'm hoping to get sit on an SV with my g/f to see how it feels. I bet some aftermarket work to her seat might help out for comfort.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Considering how dismal the OEM SV seat was on my bike when I bought it, I was really expecting to hear complaints from my wife after riding a good jaunt. Suprisingly, I'm the only one of us concerned about it. I constantly ask her if she's comfortable in hopes of giving me an excuse to buy a Sargent pillion seat to match my rider's seat but she always says she's "just fine!"

One thing that was intended to help MY riding position, did help with her comfort and that was me replacing the stock clip-on bars with adjustable Convertibars. Standard clip-ons are in no way conducive to sport-touring. Aside from my starting mountain bike single track riding at 45 years old on those skinny hard seats, my "aka" didn't just come out of the blue.

Being in the low forward position really leaves your passenger up and "out there" but with a bit more upright seating thanks to the Convertibars, we're more equal in ride height and I cover much more of her exposure not to mention it doesn't look so geeky! The nekkid SV version doesn't present that issue to the degree that the "S" model does but personally, as a sport/tour, I'd never consider the nekkid.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thanks for all of the reassuring replies. I've ridden two up on a grossly underpowered bike before, and honestly it wasn't that bad. Considering how small a % 2up riding actually makes up of my entire time riding, that trade off seems pretty decent.

I'm hoping to get sit on an SV with my g/f to see how it feels. I bet some aftermarket work to her seat might help out for comfort.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
That pillion on the SV isnt as bad compared to SS bikes.
Your girlfriend will just have to get used to it.
Take plenty of rests (walk & Stretch) on your trips and both of you should do nicely.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the SV650 can do about everything competently, including 2up riding

BUT if 2up riding was my primary concern when considering a new purchase

no way would I get the SV650

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've set up a a meetup with a local rider who's willing to let me and my girl get a feel of an SV, and then I'll take it from there. My guess is that I should factor in the cost of a rear shock and front springs when looking at SV's right?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Its not like it's going to be an immediate necessity. ^^^
The bike will work ok with stock suspension.
And of course it will work better with aftermarket suspension components.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I rode quite a bit last season two up, both in the twisties and long highway trips. After she gets used to the seat, it's not terrible. This year I've upgraded by sending both seats into greatdaytoride.com, but the fiancee hasn't come out on a trip with me yet.

You aren't going to die on the stock suspension. I set up both to maximum preload and just go. A better suspension will be better, duh! but don't let all this "stock suspension is crap" scare you. yes, it is a budget suspension. but it's not a death trap. I barely notice a difference between acceleration 2up vs alone. the torque from the v-twin powers right through the weight difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mmmmm... Bandit 1200 Hey keep it and get the Sv. Here's my Bandit below, built it in my garage and then sold it a couple of months back. Man I shouldn't have sold it. You'll regret it....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Obviously I completely ignored your original post. I know you can't keep both and mine absolutely can't carry a passenger. But.... make it work! Do you have a spare kid to sell? Economy is down but a kid probably still fetches some good coin.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
*Actual question*

Would the sv650 be up to moving that much weight(Rider, passenger, 50-70 lbs of luggage)? Is the frame strong enough? There's no way I can afford or store two bikes, so that just isn't an option. What do you guys think?
*Actual answer*

Not a problem in the world. 99% of my touring is 2-up with enough gear to make it look like we are mobilizing for the invasion of Iwo Jima.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
ctbandit, you didn't mention if your bandit is the 600 or 1200. if it's the big one, you will def. notice a loss of power when moving to the sv650. (we all love our sv's, myself included, but let's face facts- the 1200 bandit has more torque at 3000 rpm, (about 60ft.lb.), than the sv ever develops at any rpm. due to the lesser weight of the sv, it's almost as fast as the bigger bike, and handles better, so will make a better commuter, track bike, and sporty weekender. comparing GVWR of the two, each bike is capable of carrying a similar load, the sv just won't be as fast as the bandit with that load. but then again, how fast do you really want to go with a passenger? if two up touring is such a small part of your riding, the sv may be better all around for you.

(also keep in mind- in the old days lots of people toured 2-up with tons of camping gear on honda 350cc twins. they were too busy having fun to ever realize how slow their bikes were.)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts