Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*I must apologize, this is being done from an iTouch, so please excuse my being brief and not searching SVrider before posting..*

Background: 07 sv650s, 13.5k on the clock. Hasn't been ridden in a week.

I leave work, insert key, lights come on, I throw it in neutral, fuel pump primes.....I hit the start button and EVERYTHING abrubtly shuts off right after the starter tried to turn the motor over. No lights, gauges aren't lit, nothing. I remove the key, try again, same thing. Almost behaves as if there is no electrical power at all.

All fuses were checked, and were good. -which brings me to my next point, how do you check a relay; or does this have nothing to do with it? Is the battery completely dead?

What would cause the whole electrical system to just [email protected] out by just pressing the start button?

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I've actually had that same exact issue also. For my bike, the kill switch was giving a problem. It was somehow not grounding right or something. Maybe you could try looking into that?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay.

got to work today with a battery charger and some tools. charged the battery in the office and double checked the fuses. i let the battery charge for about 4.5 hours and hooked it back up, still nothing.....no lights, nothing.

i decided that wasn't enough so i moved the bike over to an outlet in the parking garage at work and hooked the charger up to the bike and whaddayaknow, lights come on.

of course, there wasn't enough amperage coming out of the charger, but it at least told me the battery was dead. i'm 98% sold on this.

another thing, i checked the warranty on the battery i bought from ebay seller/store 'motobatteries' and almost to the 6 month mark, the warranty is expired. imagine that.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
that sucks that its out of warranty but at least u didnt have to chase your tail for the problem....but if u get the same thing with a new battery id do wut chilltake did and start with the killswitch....maybe a loose ground or something....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sounds like the same problem with my '02. There was an internal fault in the battery and wouldn't charge above 10 volts. Guess the plated fused or some crazy thing like that, who knows and the battery was only 3 months old. Had to replace the battery and now 2 years going and the bikes running great. Moral of my story. Cheap batteries aren't worth the time. in the end I bought a new premium battery and had to eat the original cost of $120.

Meter your battery first. Should be in the 13 volt range with a good charge on it. If it's too low the system won't even energize due to low voltage.

Let us know how it goes.
Troy

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
new motorcycle batteries are not fully charged off the shelf... they need to be hooked to a charger and fully charged or issues can develop.

·
Registered
896 Posts
look into a battery at a battery store in your area, i purchased a slighlty smaller battery at a batterys plus store for around 70 bucks any issues ive had they are great with there warranty and helping you out.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
picked up a battery at 'batteries plus' (i don't have the time to order one online right now) put it in an hour ago and it started right up.

i really want to get a yuasa battery.

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
Hi SVstryker,

Back in 2004 there was a stink about sudden battery failure in Motorcycle Consumer News. Several people wrote in to the "Down Time Files" section of the magazine describing battery failure exactly as you experienced.

Funny you should mention Yuasa batteries, as they were the ones demonized for the sudden failures. I had read the sudden failure rate was as high as 20%, but find that a little hard to believe.

My impression of Yuasa batteries has always been good, and I've never had a problem with them. They come as OEM on many motorcycle brands.

Happy to hear your problem is resolved.

-TeeRiver

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone for the help.

teeriver, i found a brand called 'motocross' which is Yuasa's speciality reseller's house brand made in the same factory. they are supposedly built to the same standards, but i have yet to find a considerable price difference between the two.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts