Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use 2nd gen top triple on my 1st gen? 1st gen clips ons are getting hard to find and aftermarket clipons are $$

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
No understanding what you're looking for.... looking to use clip ons? Any 41mm ones will work...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently have an N, My understanding in that 2nd gen clips will require a 2nd gen top triple because the clip on have a post on them that is suppose to go into the bottom of the triple. I could drill the holes but getting them lined up is going to be a challenge

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
....but getting them lined up is going to be a challenge
Its not that hard.
Find a position you like and then tighten the clipon, turn to full lock (preferable to the same side as the clipon you've just tightened) and see how much clearance you have from the gas tank- then turn to the other side and make the one side's clearance match the other. Use a piece of foam as a spacer between the tank and clipon to make sure you get the same distance, or just use a tape measure.
really not that difficult.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was saying that if I was to drill holes in the triple making sure the holes are where they are suppose to be would be a challenge. The other option is to grind off the posts on the clipons but I dont know what that would do as far as keeping them where I want them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
One thing I have to add to the discussion:
You cannot use the 2nd gen stock clip-ons with a 2nd gen naked top triple clamp even if you remove the little posts on the clip-ons. This is because of where the pinch bolt is located. You will have to use an 's' top triple clamp and then figure out how to mount your speedo/tach. Aftermarket clip-ons like Vortex will not interfere with the naked triple, but the riding position is much more down & forward.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK but what I am talking about is using 2nd gen clipons with a 1st gen n triple or getting an 2nd gen s triple to put on my gen 1 but no one seems to know if it will fit

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all the modification that goes on around here and no ones knows if a 2nd gen S triple will fit a gen 1 N?

Guess there is only one way to find out.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
No - and even the S and N triples are different.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I don't know if the 2nd gen S triple will fit, but here is a pic showing where the clipons are in relation to the pinch bolts on a stock 2nd gen. If your existing top triple won't interfere with the clipons you should be able to grind the pin off and use them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts