Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Probably the right one. Flip it over and post a pic of the other side. Need to see the rebound screw to be sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's the 06-07 ZX10r Special Edition shock. It is a straight bolt on.
Not so sure. I have a ZX-14R rear shock. The pics posted by ridethecliche looks just like my shock. I think you have to measure it to be certain.

My ZX14R Rear Shock:

...would somebody be able to ID this ZX10r Shock? ...
The best way to find pictures of your shock for comparison is to go to eBay and look at the photos people are posting for those shocks

·
Registered
594 Posts
Not so sure. I have a ZX-14R rear shock. The pics posted by ridethecliche looks just like my shock. I think you have to measure it to be certain.
ineedanap is correct. It is a ZX-10 SE shock. Look closely at the rebound adjustment screw. On the ZX-10 shock, the ring surrounding it is black. On your ZX-14 shock, the surrounding ring is silver. It is also about 30º offset.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ineedanap is correct. It is a ZX-10 SE shock. Look closely at the rebound adjustment screw. On the ZX-10 shock, the ring surrounding it is black. On your ZX-14 shock, the surrounding ring is silver. It is also about 30º offset.
Good stuff. Thanks for the correction

·
Registered
7 Posts
The best way to find pictures of your shock for comparison is to go to eBay and look at the photos people are posting for those shocks
The pictures are actually off of ebay and the only reason I noticed, is because I saw 11-15 shocks were all black and have a completely different res. I think its fair to say this shock is below 2010. but cant quite narrow it down from there.

I went ahead and bought it because it was only $30 shipped. I guess well see if it fits. Was just wondering if anyone here had any deeper knowledge to identify it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

My ZX14R Rear Shock:

I just bought one of these off a '14 model, about $70 shipped and included some extra hardware. I knew from reading that one end of the stock shock is tapped (meaning, bolt threads into it), whereas this is not the case with most other replacements. I didn't want to have to go scrounging around for the right bolt.

Also, I can't say for sure if other year models will have this same issue, but I had to trim off some plastic from the outer housing around the tool box (but not the toolbox itself). I have an '04N, with the stock undertail. Rotary cutting tool coupled with a drum-style cutting stone and it zipped off everything I needed gone without having to take anything else apart.

The ZX-14 shock is a tiny bit shorter, so I had to use a jack to compress the shock slightly to get the links/dogbones to line back up so the bolt would slide in easily. I unbolted the rearmost dogbones so I could swing them out of the way and get access to the thru-bolt in the shock.

Also, if it's not obvious, there are little rubber flaps from the top of the battery tray that hide the top thru-bolt. You can just fold these up and out of the way to get easy access to the top bolt (with the appropriate extensions). All you need for this are 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm sockets/box wrenches, and the 4mm allen screw to remove the side cover if you want a little more light to see what you are doing.

I used ratcheting tie-downs hung over the garage rafters to take the weight off the rear swingarm, but left the rear stand under the spools (and the sidestand down) just in case. I can fairly easily lift the rear of the bike by hand, so I wasn't too worried. I wouldn't suggest sticking your hands in places where they might get pinched or mangled should the bike settle onto the rear wheel unless you're going to use something designed to safely lift a bike off the swingarm.

Just sitting on level ground, there is definitely less bounce in the rear end. I'm ~195 + gear, so the stiffer spring will likely be a welcome change over the stock spring.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts