Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching around but cannot find anyone with a how to as far as pictures for showing how to remove the upper fairing. I saw the 568 page manual online but there are only 2 pics of the front fairing but show all the bolts and not exactly the ones you absolutely need for it to lift right off. I have purchased a new gauge cluster and would like to install it and want to get the fairing off in as easy as possible and in as few pieces.

Does anyone have any pictures of exactly what bolts need to be removed to pull it off. It seems pretty secure, but I want to avoid having to take off all the black plastic parts and clips if it can just be the fewest bolts and then lift it off as one unit with headlights still on and windscreen still on as well.

I am also installing new front forks with the help of a forum member and the upper front fairing should probably come off for that as well to give better access to the screws on the mounting portion of the forks. So this will help me out for doing 2 jobs. Any help and PICS would be appreciated!!! :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I appreciate any pics of those who have removed theirs who can say the easiest way to do it. I would imagine there is a simple 4 screw way to do it at least I HOPE!

·
Registered
513 Posts
its very simple. Just unscrew all bolts that look like they are keeping the fairing on, be sure to unscrew the mirrors, they are the main attachments to the fairing stay. Its really quite simple and does not require step by step photos to perform. Just use some common sense.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone sent me the picture/diagrams from the owner's manual as a PDF, it looks as if they say you have to remove the mirrors and turn signals and the windscreen. I's like to avoid all of that. Appears when the windscreen comes off there is a single screw that holds that upper black cowl to the fairing stay and then it all comes off, so either the windscreen comes off and then the whole unit after the single screw or the fairing seperated from the upper black surround cowl and then the single screw comes out.

Just trying to make it as easy as possible so I can yank it off, throw on my nee gauge cluster and then put the fairing right back on. I'll probably need another person to do it and hold the fairing while I install the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
513 Posts
just the top two screws on the windscreen need removed

·
Registered
905 Posts
Unfortunately there's no way to remove it without having to do all the stuff in the manual. It doesn't really matter anyways, it takes 15 minutes tops to remove the upper fairing even with those 'extra' steps.

The reason you need to take the windshield off is because it obstructs the bolt that holds the gauge cluster cowl in place to the fairing stay. Not like it matters too much at that point since you need to remove all the screws that run through the upper fairing, through the windshield, and into that upper black cowling.

You'll also need to remove the turn signals, but you can leave the lower cowling attached to the fairing.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Unfortunately there's no way to remove it without having to do all the stuff in the manual. It doesn't really matter anyways, it takes 15 minutes tops to remove the upper fairing even with those 'extra' steps.
+1 If even that. It isn't hard at all.......chop chop. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
210 Posts
+1 It's an easy job; you'll waste more time looking for an easier way than just doing it. The first time I did mine, it took maybe 20 mins. It'll make the forks a hell of a lot easier too.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be tackling it tonight to install my new gauge cluster. I was trying to see if I can just take the black shroud around the cluster off and access the 2 bolts behind the cluster, but appears you haave to take the windscreen off to access that one tiny screw at the bottom to get the shroud off, I might as well just take the whole upper fairing off. I was just trying to avoid any excess work if there was a simpler way to do it.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
it isn't a screw in the lower part under the windscreen, its a center-push plastic fastener. You just need to pull the windscreen, all 6 bolts(which is nothing) and then push the center of that fastener to release it. then just remove the two corner covers, and the two bolts towards the back and you can pull that black shroud. Shouldn't need to remove the whole upper to get at the cluster.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it isn't a screw in the lower part under the windscreen, its a center-push plastic fastener. You just need to pull the windscreen, all 6 bolts(which is nothing) and then push the center of that fastener to release it. then just remove the two corner covers, and the two bolts towards the back and you can pull that black shroud. Shouldn't need to remove the whole upper to get at the cluster.
thats what I was hoping, hopefully that all works. If I have to remove teh mirrors then I will. Wasnt sure if they were bolded through the fairing into the plastic shroud. The windscreen I have done before I went with a smoked screen it was just a ***** to get those rubber grommet things back in there. Hopefully it all goes smoothly and I can access those small screws in the back of the cluster from there.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Wasnt sure if they were bolted through the fairing into the plastic shroud...Hopefully it all goes smoothly and I can access those small screws in the back of the cluster from there.
the inner shroud is not attached to the mirrors

and there are two 8mm nuts that hold the cluster on

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the inner shroud is not attached to the mirrors

and there are two 8mm nuts that hold the cluster on
yeah that dang push clip if it werent for that it would be a simple couple things, last I did the windshield I cut my hands up last time pushing those grommets in

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeah that dang push clip if it werent for that it would be a simple couple things, last I did the windshield I cut my hands up last time pushing those grommets in
dunno if you done it yet, but do you have any tips? I want the repaint mine and the upper fairing is really a ***** to remove.

cheers

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
That's why I don't take the windshield off. You can remove just the cowling and leave the shield attached for 99% of work. It's designed so that the whole assembly comes out as one piece.

It's really not that hard: Remove mirrors. Remove top fasteners. Remove side fasteners. Remove bottom fasteners. Slide fairing straight forward. Unplug harness. Fin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts