Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a fairly new rider, having bought my '06 naked SV about 2 months ago. One thing I've noticed is that the light from the stock headlight seems a bit short and I find myself wanting to use the high beams whenever I can to give myself more light on the road (further down the road specifically), as the regular setting seems to only light up the road a few seconds in front of me and it makes me a bit nervous that there will be something (road debris, pothole, etc) that I won't see in time.

So, I was curious... are the aftermarket headlights I've seen on this forum/site mostly for looks or are they actually more functional (brighter) than the standard set up? I really don't want to go aftermarket just yet, but I'm curious if they'd even make much difference anyhow.

Another option might be a different (brighter) bulb, but I haven't investigated that option yet. Does anyone recommend getting an aftermarket bulb to increase visibility (more for me as the rider, rather than for others to see me- though that could be an addtional perk).

Lastly, I would imagine that I could just tilt my stock light up a bit to give me some additional visibility further out down the road. I haven't actually checked out if that's an option, but I would think that I could tilt the headlight? Anyone know...

Any recommendations would be great... thanks,

Chris

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Im sure theres some sort of adjustment for the headlight. I know there is on the 1st gens, and I dont imagine the 2nd gen is all that different. Probably a bracket coming off the bottom of the headlight, with a screw/spring combo on it?

As for the dual lights you see most people running, they are more for looks than function. The stock headlight produces a better beam for night driivng.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I dont know about 2nd gen but first gen naked headlights have an adjustment under it that connect to the lower clamp that you can just screw and it will tilt the headlight up more. By the way if you are have this problem it sounds to me like you are outriding your headlight and you might just want to slow down on twisty roads at night.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The second generation SV's do have a headlight adjustment: It's a black screw connected a bracket on the underside of the headlight. You'll see a small spring that the screw compresses.

I went to aftermarket dual headlights, but the beam pattern from the stock headlight is pretty good. A better bulb and a little adjustment can go a long way.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks for the replies.

Definitely not out riding my lights as I'm just using the bike for commuting right now on straight streets, since I'm still forming & improving my riding skills and it's too cold to do much pleasure riding. The light just seems to end pretty quickly out in front of me- seems like it's focused too close to the bike and not out far enough.

I'll play with adjusting the angle of the headlight. I'm mechanically inclined... just haven't tried making any any adjustments or even looking to see what it would take.

Any recommendations on aftermarket bulbs... brands, models, how much to pay, etc? I haven't looked at them either.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I hear PIAAs are good- there was one in my naked headlight when I bought it used from FilthyRich, and its farking bright! Its still in there, and I have a hard time standing in front of it lookin at it....
Sylvania Silverstars are good, as are Phillips Nitevision (i think thats their name).

theres a significant difference in price between the PIAAs and the Sylvania/Phillips ones though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i have the sylvania silverstars in my svs and they are much brighter than stock. some people say that other brands are brighter but these are plenty bright for me.

just go to your local auto parts store and look for them. just be sure to get the H4 bulb that says "for motorcycle use only" on the side. should be able to pick them up for $20 each. and they are packaged individually. not in pairs like the car bulbs.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Yes the Silverstar H4 bulb will do the trick for $20 bucks.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
schultzboy said:
i have the sylvania silverstars in my svs and they are much brighter than stock. some people say that other brands are brighter but these are plenty bright for me.

just go to your local auto parts store and look for them. just be sure to get the H4 bulb that says "for motorcycle use only" on the side. should be able to pick them up for $20 each. and they are packaged individually. not in pairs like the car bulbs.
Whats the difference between the two? I didn't look for anything like that when I bought mine but I did buy the individual wrapped one...

G

·
Stamford said:
I constantly ride with high beams on. I belive the harley course even said too.....not sure bout that though.
You ride with your high beams on at night?

That is the subject of his topic, he can't see far enough ahead at night.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've used stock, PIAA, Silverstars, and Sylvania XtraVision.  The PIAA's were bright, but the lamp burned out after only 3 months.  Silverstars and XtraVisions had virtually no difference, definitely not worth the extra money for the Silverstars - both bulbs were no better than the PIAA's.  

I bought an Optilux (made by Hella) H4 100W/80W bulb and outperforms the rest of them by far.  Sure, it uses almost double the voltage, but that's what's needed to really get the extra light output.

Here's the site I purchased my bulb from: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp

Don't waste your money on PIAA or Sylvania.  If you want more light, go for more wattage.  Don't overdue it with a 130/90 watt setup, but 100W/80W works fine. If you do look for an aftermarket bulb, make sure you look at actual wattage, not effective output wattage.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
I would try the adjustment screw first.  New 2nd gen SV's I've seen have come with the headlight adjusted as low as possible.  When I adjusted mine higher, it made a world of difference at night, and I could see a lot farther ahead.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Or just replace the bulb with a Sylvania Silverstar H4 Halogen for $20 at most auto parts stores.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts