Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm trying to install my side racks (in prep for my cases, which should arrive tomorrow) and I have them on, but up under the left and right side of the hand-grip, the bolts are awfully close to the tail...I don't want them to rub, but it looks like they might.

Per the instructions, I've attached the screw through where my red circle is. The bolt circled in blue is what I'm talking about...it's very close to the tail section.

Did you guys have problems in this area, or am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: FIXED!! Helps to tighten up those two bolt...I'd forgotten those.

Attachments

· Registered
1,127 Posts
So, 3 days ago, I ordered two of the JCW 33-liter cases for the bike. They arrived today. They were delivered before I went to work. They look NICE...better than the 40-liter version.

Well, when I got home, the first thing I did was remove the cheesy Maltese cross from both...stupid move, because I found that they will not mount on the top or side racks. :( They don't have the proper dual end fittings to latch to the bike. Also, it won't mount at the big latch/lock (the port on the cases is too small).

I can do several things:

1. Attempt to return them, hoping they don't notice I removed the Maltese crosses (I can't find them, otherwise I'd glue them back on). I guess I might need to dig in the trash to see if that's where I put them.

2. Keep the cases but put them on Craigslist.

3. Keep them and use the included plates to latch them to the racks (this means I'll have to modify the plates, cutting out the main latch point...I'm not good at modifying things).

Bottom line: Don't buy these cases expecting them to fit on Givi racks. These mount differently from the larger cases.

I'm disappointed, because the cases look MUCH better than the 40L version. I was expecting to use them on the ride to work tomorrow, but that's definitely a no-go. :(

EDIT: added video

· Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So, 3 days ago, I ordered two of the JCW 33-liter cases for the bike. They arrived today. They were delivered before I went to work. They look NICE...better than the 40-liter version.

Well, when I got home, the first thing I did was remove the cheesy Maltese cross from both...stupid move, because I found that they will not mount on the top or side racks. :( They don't have the proper dual end fittings to latch to the bike. Also, it won't mount at the big latch/lock (the port on the cases is too small).

I can do several things:

1. Attempt to return them, hoping they don't notice I removed the Maltese crosses (I can't find them, otherwise I'd glue them back on). I guess I might need to dig in the trash to see if that's where I put them.

2. Keep the cases but put them on Craigslist.

3. Keep them and use the included plates to latch them to the racks (this means I'll have to modify the plates, cutting out the main latch point...I'm not good at modifying things).

Bottom line: Don't buy these cases expecting them to fit on Givi racks. These mount differently from the larger cases.

I'm disappointed, because the cases look MUCH better than the 40L version. I was expecting to use them on the ride to work tomorrow, but that's definitely a no-go. :(
looking at the picture of the plate on the 33L model, I can agree that it's not a Givi sized wedge.

The reviews on the 33L latch mechanism would've kept me away.
I would return them and get the one's that fit.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
looking at the picture of the plate on the 33L model, I can agree that it's not a Givi sized wedge.

The reviews on the 33L latch mechanism would've kept me away.
I would return them and get the one's that fit.
They latch fine (very solid, but harder to get latched than the bigger case). It uses the same system as the bigger case.

That plate looks different than the ones that came with my cases. The plate has big square holes and the cases have big squares that fit in the square holes on the plate...kinda weird and I would think they wouldn't latch as securely as the bigger case.

I'd assumed the smaller case was using the same system as the larger case. Before I bought the larger case, I actually watched a guy on YouTube fitting his 40L straight to the rack system. My mistake was assuming...

I'll see about returning them.

Oh, and when I tried to fit the 40L to the side rack, it wouldn't fit either...it will require a tiny bit of trimming before it'll slide onto the notches. I believe someone mentioned that earlier (thought he'd meant when fitting to the top rack).

· Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Oh, and when I tried to fit the 40L to the side rack, it wouldn't fit either...it will require a tiny bit of trimming before it'll slide onto the notches. I believe someone mentioned that earlier (thought he'd meant when fitting to the top rack).

That was me that mentioned that earlier in this very thread.

That was also my Youtube video (also posted on this thread) showing the same large case you have mounting to the Givi rack (after trimming the inside edge of the slots a touch)

And I was talking about the large JCW cases as side cases, not a top case (although the Givi toprack has the same Monokey dimensions from buttons to wedge.)

· Registered
1,112 Posts
and you had to post that now, right? AFTER I already ordered the larges? LOL. I think the larges will fit me better though because I tend to lug a lot of stuff with me. I mainly need it to put my cold weather gear in when I leave work in the afternoon. Maybe I won't need them so much now cuz it's cold all day long now.

· Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Anyone here who is using the JCW large cases like me, and you have the hideous maltese cross logos on the sides, I do have two different Suzuki badges that fit the recesses perfectly (50mm diameter).

One badge is black with the Suzuki S in the center (see pic below), the other is red with the S logo and the word Suzuki.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/...DF-9F49-9EAAB942C21C-956-0000020DCF771DA4.jpg

These are free to the first person to claim them on this thread. You can then PM me your address and I'll send them out next week.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
nice! I was trying to save for the Givi with the top-opening feature, but they're so darn expensive...I paid like $500 for my rack and 52L topcase...that hurt, but was well worth it.
Damn. Yeah, a rack and case will be $$$. I found my top and side racks for $100 (Givi) on Craigslist, so I got very lucky. Before I got the E45s, I was considering getting two large JCWs, but my wife was like, "why not get something a bit better?" So I went ahead and got the E45s...anything else would've been way too much money and would've pointed me back toward the JCWs. But I'll continue to use my one JCW as a top case.

Do you have a pic of your 52L that you can share?

· Registered
1,112 Posts
if you click the link in my signature and scroll down to the fifth picture, there's a good shot of it. It doesn't look the same since I wrecked last night though. Now, the left side reflector plastic and silver accents are broken/missing and the rack has a 10 degree downward angle now....still not sure how I'm gonna straighten it out besides having someone sit on the bike while I try to lift the rear with my trunk.

· Registered
1,112 Posts
Anyone here who is using the JCW large cases like me, and you have the hideous maltese cross logos on the sides, I do have two different Suzuki badges that fit the recesses perfectly (50mm diameter).

One badge is black with the Suzuki S in the center (see pic below), the other is red with the S logo and the word Suzuki.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/...DF-9F49-9EAAB942C21C-956-0000020DCF771DA4.jpg

These are free to the first person to claim them on this thread. You can then PM me your address and I'll send them out next week.
If mine have them on, I would like to get these from you, Danimal. I'll know Wednesday when they are due to be delivered.

· Registered
1,112 Posts
Got mine in on Tuesday...since I was out of town till yesterday I couldn't put them on until today. The trimming was minimal because I used my Dremel to cut the angle into the slot which made the fitment easier. The only thing I wish I could do was have ONE key for both cases...but they work really well. I removed the maltese crosses easily and just need to stick something else in to cover them up. I will probably remove the backrests as well once I find the thread that tells how to do that easily. The only real concern I have is splitting lanes...these cases add a few inches on either side WIDER than my mirrors so I have to commit that little piece of information to memory...lol

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.