Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they make a different one for 03's? Or all 2nd gens the same?
The auction says post-03, I guess I'm a little confused if that means it will fit or not.
Givi only made one kit for the 2nd Gen, the PL529 (the ones in the auction)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Nice, just snatched them up.

No idea how I opened up SVR and saw this thread at the bottom of the home page.

Didnt want to risk saving $10 by bidding, so $140 shipped buy it now.

Not bad for being $310 plus shipping new.

Thanks for the heads up

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
congrats. I have the racks...just can't afford the cases yet...lol.
I'm using JC Whitney large cases on my Givi rack, and have been for some time.

They work great and hold a load of stuff.

VERY affordable.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Yea I after I bought those racks I pretty much spent a few hours looking at cases and other info.

The JCWhitneys are very affordable, less than $100 for a pair.

I only really needed the side racks, not a big fan of top cases. My options are:

1. Sell the top rack and make a bracket to only run the side cases
2. Keep the top rack and use it to strap stuff onto (i.e. folding chairs, coolers, etc)
3. Get a top case as well? But need a smaller one than the JC ones.

I already have a tank bag and a pretty decent tail bag for the passenger seat, so I could practically live on the bike with 3 cases, and 2 soft bags if I needed.

Chances are I'll either sell the top rack or just leave it there to strap stuff there.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I haven't been able to figure out how these cases mount to the racks, but I'm sure it'll make sense once I see it.

Now that I look at the pictures for the auction, looks like it might be missing one of the brackets where it mounts to the grab bar holes.

Dan, where'd you get that custom bracket if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Do they make a different one for 03's? Or all 2nd gens the same?
The auction says post-03, I guess I'm a little confused if that means it will fit or not.
Any of the 2nd gen Givi products will fit the 2003 model.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Any of the 2nd gen Givi products will fit the 2003 model.
Yeah, but its too late. Somehow Dan posted this on Friday and I didn't see it until last night when there was 23 minutes before the auction ended.

I'm not sure if I should wait to make sure the racks come in (and are not damaged) before ordering the 2 cases or if I should just order them

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Those large cases look HUGE though, 40 liters compared to 33L for the medium.

The difference is the large cases are about 4" wider each.

I may get the mediums, just to keep the profile of the bike a little thinner.

I'll probably order them later today, need to do some research/look at pics.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
$47 each, and if you spend more than $75 (order 2), shipping is free.

Thats a damn good deal.

So...

Order the cases, or wait till the racks come in to order them?
Can you link the ones you are looking at? The only ones I can find have back rests on them to be used as trunks

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'm looking at the same ones. The ones for $42 (large) and $45 (medium) both have backrests. I was thinking of maybe somehow pulling those backrests off.

Even going through the reviews theres alot of people saying the cases have to be bolted to the racks, as the mounting system is kind of flimsy and there have been cases that have come off while riding.

The free shipping promotion is tomorrow so I'll keep doing my research.

$50 compared to $170+ for Givi's make them look pretty nice, just looking for more details.

If I find something that'll help I'll post it here

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I wanted to buy those side racks when I saw dan post the ebay link a few days ago. I passed because I already run cortech sport saddle bags and a SW-Motech rack with large givi monolock top case. The case is kinda big but it fits a bunch of stuff or two helmets. Aesthetics aside, you can never have too much storage.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used to run a top case. No need anymore (mine was stolen off my bike in TN somewhere at a gas station and I decided to not replace it)

A member here made a heavy duty bracket for me that allows the use of Givi side racks without their top rack.

I removed the backrests and plugged all the holes with black Sugru and formed each plug into a nice disc. Looks great and is waterproof.

I think the large cases look fine, and the room they afford is wonderful.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, just so you know, the JC Whitney cases need a slight mod to fit the Givi racks.
The two slots that fit over the studs on the lower rack are too close together by about 1/8".
Take a razor and SLIGHTLY trim away a TOUCH of the inside edge of both slots.
Do this a little at a time. Initially you want to have to slightly force the cases down onto the studs until seated and the upper tab locks in.
Eventually, after multiple installations and removals, the fit will improve and they will fit on nice and snug.
You don't want to open up the slots too far right away. You get a tighter fit doing it on the conservative side.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts