Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I have bent front forks and i'm just trying to understand what my options are for a low-cost replacement.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I believe the forks are the same except for the lower leg(stantion) on the 2nd gen uses a large dia. axle which incorporates the spacers used on the right side of the 1gen. The 2nd gen axle will not work with your 1gen wheel bearings, etc. If just the inner tubes are bent, you could probably use the inners from a 2nd gen. I don't think fork length changed.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I believe the forks are the same except for the lower leg(stantion) on the 2nd gen uses a large dia. axle which incorporates the spacers used on the right side of the 1gen. The 2nd gen axle will not work with your 1gen wheel bearings, etc. If just the inner tubes are bent, you could probably use the inners from a 2nd gen. I don't think fork length changed.
Upper leg is the stanchion, lower is the slider. :)
I've never tried mixing sliders and stanchions between gens, but they are made by different companies (first gen Kayaba, second gen Showa) so I'd proceed carefully.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The 2nd gen axle will not work with your 1gen wheel bearings, etc.
Yes it will. I put 2nd gen forks on my '99, you'll need a 2nd gen front axle and you've got to shorten the stock 1st gen spacer on one side and add a little bit of a spacer on the other side (on top of your 1st gen speedo drive) to get the wheel centered.

So it is possible, but if you can find some straight fork tubes or a straight set of used 1st gen forks, that'd be a lot easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the responses! Was very helpful for me. I will continue my search for First gen forks. I may look into emulators and stiffer springs at a later time. (I'm 200lbs, beginning rider but I am also an amateur race car driver and I may end up pushing the bike pretty hard in the near future).

·
Registered
421 Posts
GSXR swap. Lots of threads on it, and if your gonna go thru emulators, and springs why not get the added braking power, and adjustability.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
...and if your gonna go thru emulators, and springs why not get the added braking power, and adjustability.
Because it's still extra $$ and work and not completely necessary as most people don't out-ride the current SV suspension and brakes.
Not to mention that once buying the GSX-R front end you'd still have to re-spring that...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Its worth it to me. I changed and havent looked back since. The braking confidence alone is worth the cost IMHO.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Its worth it to me. I changed and havent looked back since. The braking confidence alone is worth the cost IMHO.
:rock: Awesome. Not everyone is going to see it that way. Bang-for-the-buck, springs/emulators and oil plus good pads & SS lines will get you quite a ways beyond the stock setup.
Not saying one is more right than the other, just in a progression of things, you can still attain better results (suspension, braking) over stock with less $$ (than going full gsx-r front end).

·
Registered
421 Posts
:rock: Awesome. Not everyone is going to see it that way. Bang-for-the-buck, springs/emulators and oil plus good pads & SS lines will get you quite a ways beyond the stock setup.
Not saying one is more right than the other, just in a progression of things, you can still attain better results (suspension, braking) over stock with less $$ (than going full gsx-r front end).
I agree, but I tend to think in a different mannor. For example x+y>z
so if x is emulators, springs, etc...
y is the gsxr swap
z is bring your bike to your abilities.

I would rather spend a little more up front and grow into it then go step by step and spend more money.

My bike far exceeds my abilities, but I like it that way because it gives me something to look forward to in the next corner.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i have a set of first gen forks for sale. Stock 120.00 plus shipping if you are interested. Replaced them with a set with emulators and set up for my size. They are straight and look better than the forks I am using now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts