Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2007 sv650 that was leftover from previous year but had 4 miles on odometer

it turns out that after I purchased and rode it there was something that didn't feel right but since I had a cruiser before I thought it was the difference in bikes

on 5/3/08 I encountered a flock of vultures and went to slow down but when i gently applied the front brakes they severely locked up and the wheel also swerved violently to the left thus dropping me from the bike @ 45mpn and causing severy road rash and a mangled torn skin on both elbows and left knee.

I didn't think much of it fixed the bike at the same dealer that I bought it and tried to sell it for a few months but with no sucess due to the market I finally decided to keep the bike

Bad choice, last saturday I decided to ride my bike at night and when I was about 5 blocks away from my house I went to stop at a stopsign and the front end shook a litttle and swerved violently one side to the other ,I was concerned but wanted to make it home ,when I was a block away i went to slow down and again the same thing happenned like 5/3/08 with the same injuries this time I had to be hospitalized for 4 days and needed surgery on my knee even the scratches on helmet match the old ones exactly wich leads me to believe is a manufacturer or most likely a "Dealer" assembly defect, please help!!!

Ps. dealership name withheld but is located in SW Florida

Ride SAFE!!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Not to be a d-bag but why would you keep using the front brake if you knew something was wrong with them? Also, the front end with stock shocks bottoms out very easily when you apply the front breaks hard. if the suspension bottoms out, you will loose control of the bike. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would have to agree with both above post's. I have a 07N SV 650 aswell. When i first got the bike , I hated the bike. The front suspension was soft, The bike would dive forward under light braking, to the point it was scary.
My buddy did race tech springs for me.That he had from his SV after he upgraded to a GSXR front end.
The bike was way better. It actually didnt feel dangerous. If you combine the soft front end and, newer rider could be a bad situation. IMHO

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
+1 on the gear. A riding jacket could have saved you a lot of pain from both wrecks it seems.

Can you tell us how much you weigh? That might help w/ some of the above theories. It seems like the first wreck you grabbed a hand full of brake, did you do the same the second crash? Possible that the brakes could have been defective for some reason (bad part(s), wear 'n' tear).

If you decide to keep riding, take it to another dealer and have them inspect the front end. Not sure what would be up. A question for other riders on this board...would this result in one side of the brakes working and the other not? Would it result in an uneven slowdown thus causing the wobble?

Definitely should've stopped and parked the s.o.b. as soon as you noticed it again and called for a pick up.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Well, I only have 2900 mi and I have to agree with the guys. Maybe you misjudged the response time of the bike? I am still learning what my bike can/cant do.

Did you go out to a parking lot and practice quick stops after your first wreck? That might have been a good idea. It either would have proven your point or you would have been better @ stopping.

Sorry bout your crash & I hope you and the bike get better soon, but even if you are correct in your guess, you would have to go to court with concrete evidence of their mistake BEFORE the first crash. So if your assumption is the case, you are screwed :(

·
Registered
750 Posts
Pretty much impossible to tell. Sorry to hear about your injuries. Heal up and get rid of that bike. Could the castle nut on the top triple be loose, or one of the triples be loose? That could cause the wobble? But even then it would not cause the brakes to lock....Sorry to say it, but it does sound like perhaps you aren't used to the bike yet. Panic braking is something you MUST practice. Take the MSF before too much longer.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
and yeah...gear...gloves, jacket, boots, armored jeans or leather pants..

life is live & learn tho. Some of us learn on our own, others learn from others mistakes. I hope you wear gear now whe/if you decide to ride again.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I don't know if this is purely rider error, it is not all that easy to lock the front on these bikes, even for a new rider. If it is mechanical, I would check the rotors. If one or both are bent or warped, that could cause a lock. I believe the SV has semi-floating rotors up front, so the caliper will follow the rotor on sliders, to a point. If the rotor is bent slightly, it could be ok under no braking force, but with the brakes applied the bend could be too far for the caliper to slide, thus locking the brake. Just a thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts