Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possable to put a 240 tire on a 2005 sv650s with out any crazy mods?Will another make and model kit fit on the sv???

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
There are no direct bolt on swingarm swaps for the second gen, so something for another bike won't do, you'd be facing grinding your frame at the swingarm pivots, grinding and rewelding the shock mount on the new swinger, finding a shock the right length, trying countless combos of dogbones and shock knuckles.....I would'nt go through all the trouble just to kill the only thing an SV has going for it as far as performance goes....handling and acceleration.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
From what I hear, I can get a 1" spacer and fit a 210 tire on a 40mm offset 6.5" honda civic wheel. :)

Hey Raptor, you gonna be around Shreveport in July?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
this is a first, were usually ridiculing people for wanting a 180 rear.... a 240 is incomprehensible

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Will a 240 tire even fit between the subframe?

:p

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
this is a first, were usually ridiculing people for wanting a 180 rear.... a 240 is incomprehensible
Well they throw them on all other bikes it's high time that someone mounts up one with a chromed extended swing arm on an SV!!!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Is it possable to put a 240 tire on a 2005 sv650s with out any crazy mods?
Well, theres a kit called "The tire cruncher" or something equally ridiculous. They make a lot ot babble about it, but it more or less consists of two rather strong magnets mounted at the insides of the swingarm where the tire passes through (the frontmost part of the rim, that is). Additionally, the sidewalls of the tire are coated with magnetic material with such a polarity that it is deflected by the magnets - following the mounting instructions is crucial here, otherwise the tire would stick to the magnets. In the result, the tire is compressed to pass the swingarm where the magnets are and has full size otherwise. They suggest a small hugger to hide this area from the view (and even have the nerve to advertise the constant compression/expansion to help "reduce warmup time").
It only works with special (and expensive) tires at the moment, AFAIR they offer only sizes up to 230 to fit a 5,5" rim, so a rim conversion for your SV will be in order as well. They announced to offer a tire sidewall tape to fit a larger selection of tires, but I´m a bit skeptical about that.

Ciao
Jan
PS: There´s a cheaper alternative: You just stick one swingarm leg through the tire. You can even mount two 240 tires that way! You didn´t say anything regarding rideability, did you?

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'll bite.

You'd have to be a ******* dumb ass redneck piece of **** to put a 240 on an SV.

Yes, I do look down on you for even asking the question.

·
Registered
328 Posts
April Fools?! If it's a serious questions then no, there aren't any kits available out there that will bolt on and allow you to run a 240 tire. However, if you have some fabrication skills you could modify a kit made for another bike as long as the shock mounts are on the same side like certain year ZX-6 swingarms or you could even build one from scratch if you had the know how. Bikes are all about personalization and If thats the look you are after then go for it! But it might be easier and wiser to just sell the SV and buy a bike that lends itself better to these types of mods...

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I have a 240 rear tire on my SV.

I just didnt tell anyone about it cause i wanted to keep it a secret for when I show the bike for the first time.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
From what I hear, I can get a 1" spacer and fit a 210 tire on a 40mm offset 6.5" honda civic wheel. :)

Hey Raptor, you gonna be around Shreveport in July?
Mmmm not that I know of, thats about a 4 hour ride from where I'm at. What are you going to be doing down here?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea I do want it rideable I seen the 240 tires on GSXR's and I like the look with the extended frame I see alot of Sv's on here but none of them done like that. I was hoping I could just mount some thing up from another bike with some minor fabercation but I dont want to get to crazy into it What would be the biggest tire I could get on there with out getting to crazy?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts

The rim is designed for a 160. 170 will be "safe".

Any bigger and you'll need to do some metal fabbing.

One of the reasons you don't see stupid big (and by stupid, I mean stupid) tires on our bikes is because most SV riders aren't posers and squids.

I say most, but not all.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts