Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found myself in need of a touring set up for my 07 svn.(and a job too) so being the broke ass that i am i found a way to do it for as cheap as possible. i had considered buying a jc whitney trunk and mounting it to the rear seat. i even bought a spare seat for that purpose. i just didnt want to bite the bullet on the cost of the trunk.

i called in a favor from a friend who manages a laser cutting/water jet job shop. he cut me a 9x15 aluminum plate. a quick stop at the local hardware store for a couple of bolts, nuts, and washers $2.00. another stop at EMS for a dry bag. the guy there looked at me funny when i asked him if he thought the bag i chose would withstand 90+ mhp for extended periods of time. 30 liter bag $20.00. i had a bungee net and some extra straps with buckles laying around. i think it will work quite well for the trip i have planned for next week. going from niagara falls, ny to maine.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i forgot to mention that i am also going to be using an icon tankbag, and the trip is for 5 days. i plan on taking the 90 from buffalo to albany then getting on rt7 and following that up to vt. then getting on rt9 and following that right into maine. it changes rt#s along the way somewhere. un fortunately i dont have the money to ride for all 5 days. mostly i will be visiting friends while i am in maine. but if anyone out there wants to try and meet up for a ride just pm me and ill give you my #. i will be staying on saco, and i will be there from the 13th to the 17th. both of those days will be travel days.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i forgot to mention that i am also going to be using an icon tankbag, and the trip is for 5 days. i plan on taking the 90 from buffalo to albany then getting on rt7 and following that up to vt. then getting on rt9 and following that right into maine. it changes rt#s along the way somewhere. un fortunately i dont have the money to ride for all 5 days. mostly i will be visiting friends while i am in maine. but if anyone out there wants to try and meet up for a ride just pm me and ill give you my #. i will be staying on saco, and i will be there from the 13th to the 17th. both of those days will be travel days.
90 sucks. I drove that route to Buffalo several times for school. 7 and 9 are nice though, especially when you get up to vermont.

I'm just north of Albany now. You'll have to tell me how the trip to maine was.

G'luck and have fun!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you attach it to the seat? I've been pondering different ways to attach stuff to the back without having to buy a second seat to mod...
i drilled holes through the seat and ran som bolts through it. i was thinking you might be able to use some straps if you had slots cut into the plate. i dont think it would be sturdy enough to hold a trunk but i think it would be sufficient for strapping down some gear.

you might be able to use straps and a milk crate if you dont have access to aluminum.(steel would be way too difficult to drill through) i was fortunate enought to get mine for free. i am not sure what the cost would have been if i actually had to pay for it. it wouldnt be the prettiest setup but it would be functional and removable.

njrjammr, i have ridden the 90 a few times also, the last time it was raining the whole time. it sucks either way. i am pretty ecxited about 9 & 7. i spent some time in vt and nh last summer and it was a blast.

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks. those are just some chrome foglamps that i found at wally world. i think they are 50 watts. i paid like $30 for them.
What did you use for the mounts? I'm thinking about doing the same, but trying to decide on what kind of mounts to use.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What did you use for the mounts? I'm thinking about doing the same, but trying to decide on what kind of mounts to use.
i used the brackets that came with the lamps, and just used some new screws to attach the brackets to the threadded holes where the reflectors were. it was quite easy. the hardest part was the wiring. i deceded to install some grip heaters at the same time as the lights. so i used a realy and a distrubution block, so that the power was cut to the lights and the grips whenever i shut off the bike. i am an idiot and would have definately forgotten a million times to manually shut off the power.

here is the link to the wiring instructions. follow the directions and take your time. it is not as hard as it seems.http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
i will be staying on saco
Rapid Ray's, FTW.

If you're looking for a nice little ride while you're here, cross the river into Biddeford and take South Street west. Just keep riding "straight" for about 25-30 miles. It stars out a little slow, but lands you on some great curves. When you get to the lake, have a snack and ride back the way you came. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.