Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Why do you keep calling it a ‘cow’ when it is only a little heavier than the SV? And 2022 doesn’t change physics. Metals are still metals. Carbon fiber is still expensive. Stuff costs what it costs. And big TFT displays, auto-blippers and quick-shifters are what sell bikes to new and younger riders. Ask any ‘influencer’ and they’ll say they’re must-haves!

This is the bike THEY asked for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm torn on this bike other than the looks which i don't like.
At one hand I don't care much about specs. Heck, I bought Gen 3 new which is basically 23y old bike.
At the other hand, I expected a bit less weight considering it is pt.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Why do you keep calling it a ‘cow’ when it is only a little heavier than the SV? And 2022 doesn’t change physics. Metals are still metals. Carbon fiber is still expensive. Stuff costs what it costs. And big TFT displays, auto-blippers and quick-shifters are what sell bikes to new and younger riders. Ask any ‘influencer’ and they’ll say they’re must-haves!

This is the bike THEY asked for.
Physics is the same. What changes is manufacturing techniques, and ways to save weight is part of advancing technology. Ever ridden an older motorcycle? I used to own a 1992 GSXR600, and that thing was close to 500 pounds. Motorcycles generally kept getting lighter and lighter as they advanced generations, even though more weight-adding features were introduced. Why is that? Technology.

And 20 pounds doesn’t sound like a lot of weight, but it’s significant on a motorcycle. Suzuki managed to make the SV650 first two generations with an aluminum frame and keep the price just right. Then the third gen they cheaped out with a steel frame, and of course the bike gained weight. And that didn’t change with this new bike. Those 20 pounds could’ve been saved with an aluminum frame. And like mentioned earlier, adding compression adjustment to the forks and rear shock is not something that would’ve raised costs in a significant way. Suzuki had an opportunity here and they made a bike that’s gonna get lost in the competition, instead of standing out in the competition. My guess is that they’re probably struggling, and had to cut costs (like leaving MotoGP), and now have to make some money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think I already wrote this, but here it goes anyway: could someone give me (or any potential new buyer of a GSX-8S) a sound reason for buying this bike over a Triumph Trident 660 or a Honda Hornet 750?
I'm all ears.

Reactions: Kenneth and 1neeto

·
Registered
91 Posts
@Skywalker67 I think it would be premature before the three bikes are available for test rides, pricing is released and comparisons can be made on the riding experience. Then an individual can assess based on their needs/wants.

Everyone raved about the MT-07 when it was released - test rode it and not to my taste - preferred the SV. Owned a Ducati Scrambler - the gearbox was finicky, suspension average, ran hot in traffic, brakes strong but a bit on-off - the SV was the better bike in all those aspects in my opinion (and cheaper). Test rode a Triumph Street Triple, very nice bike but too expensive for my budget and insurance quotes were 4x higher.

The only thing I can say now is that I don't love the looks, but don't hate it either. I'll reserve judgement until I can test ride one and compare the experience / pricing to the competition.

·
very big dumb
10,568 Posts
Why do you keep calling it a ‘cow’ when it is only a little heavier than the SV?
because a 2nd gen is 50 lbs lighter and that's before you start modding. the 3rd gen is also a cow (that's the one that's only a few pounds lighter than the sssssssss8s)
And 2022 doesn’t change physics. Metals are still metals.
except that the 8s and the 3g are made with steel frames. while the 2g was aluminum. (yes 3g frames are heavy as fuuuuuuuuuuuuq)
which is probably where the bulk of the weight comes from.
that and the stock exhausts on the 3g are hefty chonkers (i'm assuming that's the case as well on the 8s with the big suitcase under its belly)

·
very big dumb
10,568 Posts
I think I already wrote this, but here it goes anyway: could someone give me (or any potential new buyer of a GSX-8S) a sound reason for buying this bike over a Triumph Trident 660 or a Honda Hornet 750?
I'm all ears.
or the aprilia 660. or whatever size the duke comes in. or the fz/sv.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Are
because a 2nd gen is 50 lbs lighter and that's before you start modding. the 3rd gen is also a cow (that's the one that's only a few pounds lighter than the sssssssss8s)

except that the 8s and the 3g are made with steel frames. while the 2g was aluminum. (yes 3g frames are heavy as fuuuuuuuuuuuuq)
which is probably where the bulk of the weight comes from.
that and the stock exhausts on the 3g are hefty chonkers (i'm assuming that's the case as well on the 8s with the big suitcase under its belly)
Are you weighing your bikes? The 3gen is lighter and more hp than a 2gen.
And from what I'm hearing better handing from that steel frame and swing arm.

·
Registered
691 Posts
or the aprilia 660. or whatever size the duke comes in. or the fz/sv.
I didn't include Aprilia 660 or KTM Dukes due to their price tag that i feel will be sensibly higher than the one of the GSX-8S.
Wanted to keep the comparison among similar bikes (similar displacement/HPs and price tag).

Didn't include the FZ/MT-07 because to me that is an SV contender, lacking all the "improvements" (electronics, dashboard etc.) the Trident 660 and the new Hornet have.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Physics is the same. What changes is manufacturing techniques, and ways to save weight is part of advancing technology. Ever ridden an older motorcycle? I used to own a 1992 GSXR600, and that thing was close to 500 pounds. Motorcycles generally kept getting lighter and lighter as they advanced generations, even though more weight-adding features were introduced. Why is that? Technology.

And 20 pounds doesn’t sound like a lot of weight, but it’s significant on a motorcycle. Suzuki managed to make the SV650 first two generations with an aluminum frame and keep the price just right. Then the third gen they cheaped out with a steel frame, and of course the bike gained weight. And that didn’t change with this new bike. Those 20 pounds could’ve been saved with an aluminum frame. And like mentioned earlier, adding compression adjustment to the forks and rear shock is not something that would’ve raised costs in a significant way. Suzuki had an opportunity here and they made a bike that’s gonna get lost in the competition, instead of standing out in the competition. My guess is that they’re probably struggling, and had to cut costs (like leaving MotoGP), and now have to make some money back.
They can slightly cut back on weight, but only to a certain point. Then it starts getting more expensive the lighter you get... How much of that is Physics and how much of it is profit? That's only for their accountants to know for sure. You're also mentioning that a lot of techniques to 'cheapen' the product are used as well. Gotta keep that price down somehow! And yes, I've ridden bikes from the '70s and '80s (also have an '83 Honda Shadow 750), so I'm aware of the differences. However, you don't have a 500lb bike magically weigh 350lbs today because of 'techniques and technology'. More like 470lbs, if they're lucky. For example, my Gen3 SV weighs 437lbs, roughly? An '80s Honda Nighthawk 650 with an inline-4 weighed 463lbs.

I was also going to mention to @mad8vskillz , that the weight isn't welcome... But for riders like me, which I would think are the majority of buyers, we don't care about an extra few pounds here or there, so long as they're kept low so you don't feel it as much. The extra weight can help keep the bike stable, especially in the wind, and we'll never 'race' them. Besides, if I were serious about performance, I'd need to lose 30-50lbs MYSELF before doing it to the bike! LOL! I would imagine they also needed to axe the aluminum for rigidity for the expected added weight of newer components (and riders) for the same price.

@Skywalker67 ... That rider would be me. The SV650 was always in my list for consideration, but way down on it. Though I love it's looks, I also like the 'angular' looks of the Hornet and GSX-8S, along with the GSX-S, Kawi Z-bikes, Honda CBR-Fs, and the Yamaha MT's. The SV's price was one of the lowest, and definitely was for it's size, plus insurance costs were way lower than all of the others. But in hindsight, I'm glad it was what I ended up with! A couple of years ago, the local dealer were clearing out several Duke 790s for around the same price I paid for the SV. Was SO close to pulling the trigger, but sitting on that bike reminded me of a dirt bike. So tall and skinny, with similar-feeling bar and forks. Didn't really want that for the street, or wanted to gamble on reliability, so gave it a pass. Same with almost any Euro make, like the Aprilia Shiver. Love the looks, but I don't want any hassle. Those same reasons will probably apply to the GSX-8S vs. the Hornet/Trident.

·
very big dumb
10,568 Posts
"However, you don't have a 500lb bike magically weigh 350lbs today because of 'techniques and technology'. "
there was someone back in the day that got their 2nd gen to be under 300lbs. titanium/aluminum everywhere, the $2k carbon gas tank, the super light generator (not a lightened flywheel but bdk), subframe, light wheels, etc. im sure it cost like 15k to do but it is possible

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
So this motor has a longer stroke than the Honda, making more torque lower in the rev range. The dual counter-balancers mitigate the P-Twin rocking couple vibration, which both acknowledges that is a problem and suggests some kind of smoothness other 270 motors lack? IDFK, but I've been smitten by Suzuki products since my '81 GS1100E, and am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. While the street bike leaves me cold, the new V-Strom looks like a very useful motorcycle.

·
very big dumb
10,568 Posts

after making the video i found a 2g frame lol 30.5lbs

weights in pounds
1g sv650
31.5 frame
8 subframe
11 swingarm
50.5 total

2g aluminum sub
30.5 frame
5.0 subframe
11 swingarm
46.5 total

2g steel sub
30.5 frame
10 subframe
11 swingarm
51.5 total

sv1k aluminum sub
33.5 frame
5.0 subframe
12.5 swingarm
51 total

sv1k steel sub
33.5 frame
10.0 subframe
12.5 swingarm
56 total

3g sv650
48.5 frame
no subframe
15 swingarm
63.5 total

·
Registered
864 Posts

after making the video i found a 2g frame lol 30.5lbs

weights in pounds
1g sv650
31.5 frame
8 subframe
11 swingarm
50.5 total

2g aluminum sub
30.5 frame
5.0 subframe
11 swingarm
46.5 total

2g steel sub
30.5 frame
10 subframe
11 swingarm
51.5 total

sv1k aluminum sub
33.5 frame
5.0 subframe
12.5 swingarm
51 total

sv1k steel sub
33.5 frame
10.0 subframe
12.5 swingarm
56 total

3g sv650
48.5 frame
no subframe
15 swingarm
63.5 total
Wow, this is some awesome info!! You wont find this anywhere.
Thank you!

41 - 60 of 83 Posts