Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· very big dumb
10,632 Posts
Edited to add: read the tech specs, and I must admit I'm kinda disappointed by the suspension department. Unadjustable fork, preload-only adjustable shock.
As usual for Suzuki, the bike is dimensioned for the average japanese rider, with no possibility to set it up for a heavier rider.
just like anything else, get springs, a shock and gold valves or some other cart swap. this would get done on a s1000rr or v4 just as much as on a grom

· very big dumb
10,632 Posts
Why can't this be done right from the factory with decent, adjustable suspensions?
because you cant make an adjustable spring. and undersprung is safer than oversprung. so they shoot for the lowest likely rider weight.
as far as valving, that's a money and "pointless" thing. because most owners wont know what they're looking at and will only make it worse.

· very big dumb
10,632 Posts
thoughts on the gsx8s: gladius 2.0... suzuki in all their wisdom is making a bike that nobody asked for at an awful time to roll out anything.

why is nobody asking for it? because the (much better) gsxs750 didnt sell well. and because racers won't run it since the thing is weak and classed out. 80 hoes is like... 10 less than the aprilia with 100 cc less. and 25 less than the 790.
obviously i'd have to ride it to have more of an opinion, but if they're claiming "middleweight" like they are, there is literally nothing worse in "middleweight". you know what else is middleweight? an fz09. which is a lot more bike (35 more horses and a way better motor. triples > i2s).
oh yeah, 450lb curb weight. and i thought the sv1000 was a pig.

timing:
the global economy is trying to go to shit. like 2008 but even more so. scared people aren't buying new toys. the gladius was also rolled out into a similar mess and we all know how well that went.

racing: clearly suzuki is trying to show that racing and building competitive bikes is no longer a priority. about to have a great time with harley and the rest of the dinosaurs trying to sell "character" (and even harley is making attempts at modernization)

tech: quickshift/autoblip is nice. traction/abs is irrelevant to me and would be deleted. "ride modes" on an 80hp bike is a joke. it's 80 hoes how much weaker do you want to make it....

suspension: meh, whatever. not even a consideration with everything else tbh

this "ground up design" imo needs to have its blueprints ground up and to start over

· very big dumb
10,632 Posts
The 750 Hornet has 8 more horsepower, a shorter wheel base and is 30 pounds lighter. The Suzuki makes a bit more torque, 57 vs. 55 foot pounds. They're also unveiling the V Strom version of it today.
i forgot that existed... but when even honda has a better bike, suzuki is in real trouble

· very big dumb
10,632 Posts
Why do you keep calling it a ‘cow’ when it is only a little heavier than the SV?
because a 2nd gen is 50 lbs lighter and that's before you start modding. the 3rd gen is also a cow (that's the one that's only a few pounds lighter than the sssssssss8s)
And 2022 doesn’t change physics. Metals are still metals.
except that the 8s and the 3g are made with steel frames. while the 2g was aluminum. (yes 3g frames are heavy as fuuuuuuuuuuuuq)
which is probably where the bulk of the weight comes from.
that and the stock exhausts on the 3g are hefty chonkers (i'm assuming that's the case as well on the 8s with the big suitcase under its belly)

· very big dumb
10,632 Posts
I think I already wrote this, but here it goes anyway: could someone give me (or any potential new buyer of a GSX-8S) a sound reason for buying this bike over a Triumph Trident 660 or a Honda Hornet 750?
I'm all ears.
or the aprilia 660. or whatever size the duke comes in. or the fz/sv.

· very big dumb
10,632 Posts
"However, you don't have a 500lb bike magically weigh 350lbs today because of 'techniques and technology'. "
there was someone back in the day that got their 2nd gen to be under 300lbs. titanium/aluminum everywhere, the $2k carbon gas tank, the super light generator (not a lightened flywheel but bdk), subframe, light wheels, etc. im sure it cost like 15k to do but it is possible

· very big dumb
10,632 Posts

after making the video i found a 2g frame lol 30.5lbs

weights in pounds
1g sv650
31.5 frame
8 subframe
11 swingarm
50.5 total

2g aluminum sub
30.5 frame
5.0 subframe