Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
726 Posts
Looks like the're trying to step into MT-07 territory.
But, for the love of me, I really can't get used to that headlight shape. From any manufacturer (Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, etc.).

Edited to add: read the tech specs, and I must admit I'm kinda disappointed by the suspension department. Unadjustable fork, preload-only adjustable shock.
As usual for Suzuki, the bike is dimensioned for the average japanese rider, with no possibility to set it up for a heavier rider.

· Registered
726 Posts
Why can't this be done right from the factory with decent, adjustable suspensions?

· Registered
726 Posts
because you cant make an adjustable spring. and undersprung is safer than oversprung. so they shoot for the lowest likely rider weight.
I beg to disagree.
At least Triumph, with its Street Triple, thinks differently.

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

· Registered
726 Posts
Yes, I understand the GSX-8S will be the tombstone to the SV, but Suzuki killed it long time ago when it failed to upgrade the bike to modern standards for brakes and suspensions, but preferred to keep it to the bare minimum of entry level.

I have nothing against moving up with the times and dropping older models, but only if this brings along improvements over the dropped models.

In more than one department, GSX-8S is an improvement over the SV: engine is now a modern inline-2, brakes are what the SV ones should have been since gen. 2 (but I would have liked to see the option of a radial MC offered), a bit of electronics and the TFT are nice to have (although they could have provided BT connection for the latter), looks is totally subjective (I too don't like the "transformers" edgy look, but I appreciate others will like it), what I truly don't understand is the lack of any true suspensions upgrade. As a minimum, preload adjust caps are dirt cheap.

· Registered
726 Posts
I don't know why they won't make an "R" version for those who want topnotch suspension, handling, and power in a smaller naked bike. Not all of us want gsxr.
Which has me thinking: why Suzuki didn't update/improve the GSX-S 750 instead of introducing the GSX-8S?

· Registered
726 Posts
Troy, the power/weight ratio of a GSX-S 750 is way higher than the one of the GSX-8S, in this sense the new bike is a step back.

Other SV/GSX-8S comparable bikes either have the same power (but lighter weight) or have the same weight but higher power. In this sense the new GSX-8S is not an improvement over existing/dropped models that might entice buying.

For comparison:
SV650: 73 HP / 200Kg = 0.365
Yamaha MT-07: 73.4 HP / 184 KG = 0.398
GSX-8S: 83 HP / 202 Kg = 0.411
Trident 660: 81 HP / 189 KG = 0.428
CB650R: 95 HP / 202 Kg = 0.470
Tuono 660: 95 HP / 183 Kg = 0.519
GSX-S 750: 115 HP / 213 Kg = 0.535

The only bike with ratio close to the GSX-8S is the MT-07, which is a rather old design (compared to the remainin ones) .

It is unforgivable they didn't include adjustable (FULLY adjustable) suspensions because:
a) modern mid-weight bikes all have them.
b) a decent adjustable suspension won't compel the owner of the bike to swap it out. Maybe swap the fork springs, but that's not compulsory nor expensive.

· Registered
726 Posts
I think I already wrote this, but here it goes anyway: could someone give me (or any potential new buyer of a GSX-8S) a sound reason for buying this bike over a Triumph Trident 660 or a Honda Hornet 750?
I'm all ears.

Reactions: Kenneth and 1neeto

· Registered
726 Posts
or the aprilia 660. or whatever size the duke comes in. or the fz/sv.
I didn't include Aprilia 660 or KTM Dukes due to their price tag that i feel will be sensibly higher than the one of the GSX-8S.
Wanted to keep the comparison among similar bikes (similar displacement/HPs and price tag).

Didn't include the FZ/MT-07 because to me that is an SV contender, lacking all the "improvements" (electronics, dashboard etc.) the Trident 660 and the new Hornet have.

· Registered
726 Posts
It all comes down to personal taste ... skinny or curvy ... 😜

• Haha
1 - 9 of 9 Posts