Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Looks like the're trying to step into MT-07 territory.
But, for the love of me, I really can't get used to that headlight shape. From any manufacturer (Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, etc.).

Edited to add: read the tech specs, and I must admit I'm kinda disappointed by the suspension department. Unadjustable fork, preload-only adjustable shock.
As usual for Suzuki, the bike is dimensioned for the average japanese rider, with no possibility to set it up for a heavier rider.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Meh, almost as ugly as a new hornet.
Nice looking usd forks but still not adjustable. I like the wheels and brakes should be improvement compared to sv.
I wonder how much cheaper the engine is to produce compared to V twin.

·
very big dumb
10,570 Posts
Edited to add: read the tech specs, and I must admit I'm kinda disappointed by the suspension department. Unadjustable fork, preload-only adjustable shock.
As usual for Suzuki, the bike is dimensioned for the average japanese rider, with no possibility to set it up for a heavier rider.
just like anything else, get springs, a shock and gold valves or some other cart swap. this would get done on a s1000rr or v4 just as much as on a grom

·
Registered
692 Posts
Why can't this be done right from the factory with decent, adjustable suspensions?

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,239 Posts
Why can't this be done right from the factory with decent, adjustable suspensions?
Money.

Overall it looks like a pretty bland bike, but time will tell. Anything can be ridden hard and finding the edge of this machine will prove it for what it is. It's hard to deny that the SV's limits have been surpassed, great as it was. I've been a fan of dinosaurs; my first sportbike was an F2 and that thing is useless nowadays :LOL:

·
very big dumb
10,570 Posts
because you cant make an adjustable spring. and undersprung is safer than oversprung. so they shoot for the lowest likely rider weight.
as far as valving, that's a money and "pointless" thing. because most owners wont know what they're looking at and will only make it worse.

·
very big dumb
10,570 Posts
thoughts on the gsx8s: gladius 2.0... suzuki in all their wisdom is making a bike that nobody asked for at an awful time to roll out anything.

why is nobody asking for it? because the (much better) gsxs750 didnt sell well. and because racers won't run it since the thing is weak and classed out. 80 hoes is like... 10 less than the aprilia with 100 cc less. and 25 less than the 790.
obviously i'd have to ride it to have more of an opinion, but if they're claiming "middleweight" like they are, there is literally nothing worse in "middleweight". you know what else is middleweight? an fz09. which is a lot more bike (35 more horses and a way better motor. triples > i2s).
oh yeah, 450lb curb weight. and i thought the sv1000 was a pig.

timing:
the global economy is trying to go to shit. like 2008 but even more so. scared people aren't buying new toys. the gladius was also rolled out into a similar mess and we all know how well that went.

racing: clearly suzuki is trying to show that racing and building competitive bikes is no longer a priority. about to have a great time with harley and the rest of the dinosaurs trying to sell "character" (and even harley is making attempts at modernization)

tech: quickshift/autoblip is nice. traction/abs is irrelevant to me and would be deleted. "ride modes" on an 80hp bike is a joke. it's 80 hoes how much weaker do you want to make it....

suspension: meh, whatever. not even a consideration with everything else tbh

this "ground up design" imo needs to have its blueprints ground up and to start over

·
very big dumb
10,570 Posts
The 750 Hornet has 8 more horsepower, a shorter wheel base and is 30 pounds lighter. The Suzuki makes a bit more torque, 57 vs. 55 foot pounds. They're also unveiling the V Strom version of it today.
i forgot that existed... but when even honda has a better bike, suzuki is in real trouble

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah its pretty generic and copy cat of what the other manufacturers are doing. I cant see this bike becoming a cult race bike like the SV. What class would it run in for a start.
A couple of points where they've fallen a bit short are the power and more importantly the weight. Its 20kg heavier than my Aprilia 660 with 13 less HP.
The forks and brakes look good but will interesting to hear how they perform. I like the TFT dash and the up and down quick shifter makes for a reasonable spec level.
I'm not a fan of the stacked LEDs either but overall I think the styling is OK and better than others in the same segment.
It's a pass from me but I'm not excited. :unsure:

·
Registered
692 Posts
because you cant make an adjustable spring. and undersprung is safer than oversprung. so they shoot for the lowest likely rider weight.
I beg to disagree.
At least Triumph, with its Street Triple, thinks differently.

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Administrator
12,798 Posts
Ya'll realize THIS BIKE IS BASICALLY THE END OF THE SV, right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think they explicitly said they will be producing 8S alongside SV.
Sure, in a few years they'll probably kill the production. I just hope there will be some nice looking bikes when that happens. Can't stand these transformers angular modern abominations.

·
Administrator
12,798 Posts
I think they explicitly said they will be producing 8S alongside SV.
Sure, in a few years they'll probably kill the production. I just hope there will be some nice looking bikes when that happens. Can't stand these transformers angular modern abominations.
He said for 2023. I'm pretty sure they just want to move all the stock parts they still have laying around but the writing has been on the wall for a while now and it makes no sense for Suzuki to keep producing both, simultaneously, for more than a year or two.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yes, I understand the GSX-8S will be the tombstone to the SV, but Suzuki killed it long time ago when it failed to upgrade the bike to modern standards for brakes and suspensions, but preferred to keep it to the bare minimum of entry level.

I have nothing against moving up with the times and dropping older models, but only if this brings along improvements over the dropped models.

In more than one department, GSX-8S is an improvement over the SV: engine is now a modern inline-2, brakes are what the SV ones should have been since gen. 2 (but I would have liked to see the option of a radial MC offered), a bit of electronics and the TFT are nice to have (although they could have provided BT connection for the latter), looks is totally subjective (I too don't like the "transformers" edgy look, but I appreciate others will like it), what I truly don't understand is the lack of any true suspensions upgrade. As a minimum, preload adjust caps are dirt cheap.

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have to agree with many of the sentiments in this post. If I wanted a Parallel Twin I would have bought one. These ,"Twins" seem to be a bit generic now with no real style. I'm a V-Twin guy and love everything about my old 99 SV650.

Luckily there's loads of low mileage 2nd hand SVs around so we'll never be short of them :)

Suzuki should have re-used the TL1000 engine in the SV1000 and made a naked Street Fighter <grin> :D

1 - 20 of 83 Posts