Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the 2021 AMA Supermoto National Championship in Tucson, AZ, where my son was competing on his CRF450R.

The races went pretty well. There were 14 bikes in the Asphalt class, and he finished 3rd in both races the first day and 3rd and 4th the second, for 3rd overall in the Asphalt Pro Class. Battled mostly on-track with a Ducati Hypermotard SP that won the Asphalt Amateur Class.

The Ducati team was a social media monster, with cameras and video of every move on and off the track. Lots drone footage as well. The rider is Parker Pitman, on Instagram I think (looks like it may be facebook), but I don't really do social media. Most likely race footage of him will include my son on the X30 Honda CRF450R.

The track was pretty slick in spots, and his "roadrace" knee-down style didn't work as well as the foot-out, back-it-in, "dirt" style.

He's already eyeing up a new bike. His '13 CRF450 just doesn't have the power of the new KTMs.

The Mussleman Honda Circuit is out in the middle of nowhere in AZ (Tucson), but it's part of a Motorsports Park area that includes a few other tracks. It's used mostly for karts, but also drifting - which leaves the track a real mess for everyone else. This year the track was better than last year, when they had a drift night the day before the Supermotos practiced. Conditions and times were better this year than last, apparently.

Temps were in the 90s every day - until today when it's going to drop to the mid, then low, 80s this week. Figures. The morning I left WI it was 26.

Sky Ecoregion Plant Land lot Grass

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud

Sky Tire Wheel Cloud Vehicle

He had fun, but would have liked to be a bit faster (doesn't everyone?). None of the Hondas could really keep pace with the KTMs/Huskys. The second place Honda was the exception, but it was worked-over quite a bit to even run close to the current stock KTMs.

He usually runs the Supermoto tracks in both north and south CA, and is more competitive there, where his riding style works better with higher traction.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That is awesome, supermoto is a great form of racing. The KTM/Husky platform seems to have more power. Our kids did some asphalt supermoto racing years ago but died out in the southeast.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That track is low traction with or without the drifters leaving rubber. I can't remember which direction the supermoto races go, but the turn on the east end of the front straight has always been sketch.

I spent every Saturday there when I was getting back into riding a few years ago. The track temp at noon in July is unreal.

·
Super Moderator
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That track is low traction with or without the drifters leaving rubber. I can't remember which direction the supermoto races go, but the turn on the east end of the front straight has always been sketch.

I spent every Saturday there when I was getting back into riding a few years ago. The track temp at noon in July is unreal.
They were running the track counterclockwise - and that first turn is sketch. The first turn is a 180-degree hairpin with questionable traction - but it did get significantly better by the end of the weekend.

Straightaway speeds were in the 80 MPH range mostly, KTMs at the higher end, and the Ducati probably 10 over the Hondas.

·
Super Moderator
9,173 Posts
That is fantastic, Jay. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They were running the track counterclockwise - and that first turn is sketch.
That one tends to build up sand/dust, and the apex can be weird/low spot. The turn on the other end of that straight always bothered me more.

Either way, it was a really good learning track.

·
Super Moderator
7,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is currently contemplating his next move.

He won the 450 Supermoto championship series in his area, but doesn't know if he wants to continue in Supermoto. He's really a roadracer, and is thinking about going with a Ninja 400 in the MotoAmerica series.

The nice thing about Supermoto is track time and race fees are significantly cheaper. One downside is the cost of a current competitive 450, which is $10,000 +. Then you still need to set it up as a Supermoto, as they are MX bikes.

The upside to the Ninja 400 is they are available, and about half the price, maybe less if you can find a crashed streetbike. You don't need new wheels, just race rubber. The downside is everything else related to the track (track days, entry fees) is significantly more expensive. He expects tire costs to be about the same.

That, and you'd be racing against Rocco Landers...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts