Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SV650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Im really new to riding and just bought the bike 2 months ago. I wanted to get some protection for it like a crash guard or engine guard but i cant seem to find any good ones. What do you guys recommend getting?

·
very big dumb
8,966 Posts
i'm a big fan of R&G stuff. the crash bars arent the best idea (they only make sense in very specific applications like gymkhana) but the frame sliders are a good call unless you're tracking.

·
Registered
2020 SV650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm a big fan of R&G stuff. the crash bars arent the best idea (they only make sense in very specific applications like gymkhana) but the frame sliders are a good call unless you're tracking.
Are frame sliders enough tho to protect the bike for. Regular street riding

·
very big dumb
8,966 Posts
Are frame sliders enough tho to protect the bike for. Regular street riding
all this stuff just helps in low speed tipovers. at any higher speed slide or tumble it doesnt matter what the hell you have. the problem with sliders on track is that they dig into the dirt and turn lowsides into tumbles

·
Registered
2020 SV650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frame sliders should be enough right? I looked into one brand of crash guards but they were rated very poorly

·
very big dumb
8,966 Posts
sliders is all you should run unless you have a very specific reason for guards (stunting or gymkhana)

·
Registered
2020 SV650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2020 SV650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
get frame sliders. then take as many classes as you can get to.
I bought the trex frame sliders and i took one msf class... and they kicked me off the class on the 2nd day 😭 so back to practicing with my friends

·
very big dumb
8,966 Posts
see if you can get into their advanced. or depending on where you are there may be other opportunities.
how did you manage to get kicked out?

·
Registered
2020 SV650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
see if you can get into their advanced. or depending on where you are there may be other opportunities.
how did you manage to get kicked out?
The instructor would show us what he wanted us to do and expect us to get it down on our 3rd try. Didnt really teach... it was just a test basically...

·
very big dumb
8,966 Posts
sounds like a shit instructor... you should probably try to find a brc2 or arc class with a different guy. they're definitely better than that usually

·
Registered
2020 SV650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sounds like a shit instructor... you should probably try to find a brc2 or arc class with a different guy. they're definitely better than that usually
Yeah my friends tell me theyre supposed to be better than that. So im just gonna keep practicing with my friends until i get it down then go to the same msf course they went to

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi! Im really new to riding and just bought the bike 2 months ago. I wanted to get some protection for it like a crash guard or engine guard but i cant seem to find any good ones. What do you guys recommend getting?
I usedhttps://woodcraft-cfm.com/collections/frame-sliders/products/suzuki-sv650-1999-2002-frame-slider-base-kit-50-0220

One right handed high side turn one at Summit Point (50mph-ish), one left hander right side wall impact at Daytona (90mph-ish). No frame damage either time. Daytona impact killed the left side slider. If the bike end-o’s you don’t know what will happen. But those sliders absorb a lot of abuse before you get frame damage.

·
Vendor
9,958 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts