Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m looking into converting my 2019 SV650 into a full on track bike.

Does anyone know how feasible it is? It seems everyone goes for the Gen 1 or Gen 2 conversions.

The first step if I decide to convert seems to be a GSX-R 600/750 front end swap. I can’t seem to find any guides on Gen 3 front end swaps.

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts

Does anyone know how feasible it is? It seems everyone just goes for Gen 1 or Gen 2 conversions.

The first step if I decide to convert seems to be a GSX-R 600/750 front end swap. I can’t seem to find any guides on Gen 3 front end swaps.

Any help appreciated!
Feasible? Of course. Most people though want to start with an older, cheaper bike as a base, since a newer one doesn’t have any advantages.

I wouldn’t be in too much of hurry to put GSXR forks on. Springs oil and emulators work very well and are cheaper and easier. Put that money into a good shock.

edit to add:
The other good reason to go with 1st or 2nd gen is that there’s a wealth of setup info available. Much harder to come by for the newer bike.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If memory serves me well, forum member @MOTORCOP1104 once wrote that in his group a few ones were racing 3rd gen SVs.
Maybe he will chime in with some hints.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know a few folks racing third gens. The older ones are more natural candidates till the used market for 2017+ comes down.

Mine will be dual purpose, daily riding and track, so I'm glad you made the thread. I get lusty feelings too looking at the USD front fork conversions... But if I were to begin to mess around, I'd go the internals route first.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ive just bought a gen 3 to turn into a race bike. My gen 2 race bikes motor is getting tired and I wanted four pot calipers. The class I race in (Pro Twins) only allows limited mods so no front end conversations. Like Rich said, you can get these things to handle well on a track without going down that (expensive) route. The word among the guys racing gen 3’s here is that the gen 3 steel trellis frame is more rigid and the gen 2 aluminium jobbie gives more flex and feel.
I’m putting traxxion dynamic damper rods, stiffer springs and emulators in the front and an adjustable Nitron rear shock on the back. I’ve ridden a bike with this set up and it was very agreeable!
I’ve just fitted a M4 full system and had the ECU flashed to match. Done professionally on a dyno.
Other than that it’s all the usual race bike stuff like clip ons, rear sets, engine case protectors and a slipper clutch.
I’ve got a gen 2 race fairing I’m going to fit to it. That will be the fiddly bit for sure.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Any idea what a good rear shock length is for the gen 3’s?
I dont at this stage but once I work it out I'll pass it on. Apparently the gen 3's have a slightly longer wheel base and quite a flat swing arm angle so I'd say they will require a bit of jacking up in the rear to quicken the steering.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Does anyone know how feasible it is? It seems everyone goes for the Gen 1 or Gen 2 conversions.

Any help appreciated!
If you want to use it as a track bike, then do whatever you need to do to pass tech and ride it at the track. Most people aren't good enough riders to need most of the mods they do anyway and would get passed over and over by real race rider on a stock bike.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Any help appreciated!
How much track experience do you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dont at this stage but once I work it out I'll pass it on. Apparently the gen 3's have a slightly longer wheel base and quite a flat swing arm angle so I'd say they will require a bit of jacking up in the rear to quicken the steering.
Robert Taylor KSS, has supplied us with adjustable ride height Nitron shocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts